8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 2:00 PM by TSGal

FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.

JohnQ

Summary

FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:  FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:  Mac 10.5.6 Detailed description of the issue:I have a list layout with two global fields containing filter options located in the footer.  One fields is formatted as radio buttons, the other as a check box.  Under FMP 9, a button in the footer executes a filter script which reads it's parameters from the two global fields.  I have two problems with the same setup under FMP 10.  1)  If the list is scrolled to the top, the global fields work properly.  If the list is scrolled to the bottom, the globals do not respond to mouse clicks.  Scrolling back to the top, they respond properly.  The button to execute the filter script works regardless of scroll position. 2)  If the list is scrolled to the bottom and one of the globals fields is clicked (but does not respond) and then toggling the Status Bar, the last global field disappears.  Scrolling back to the top and clicking in the area of the hidden global field makes the field visible again. Once again, these controls work properly under FMP 9.  

• 1. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
          TSGal

JohnQ:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to confirm this problem with Mac 10.5.5.  I have forwarded your entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they are made aware of this issue.

On a side note, I noticed that if I select the last record, then I can change the two global fields.  However, if I then scroll back to the top with the last record selected, the global fields are inactive.  Therefore, it is tied  to the record selection.  In other words, as a possible workaround until this is changed, select the record that you scroll to prior to selecting the global field(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
            JohnQ
               Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see what I can come up with for a workaround till it gets fixed.
            • 3. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
              Horatio

I'll add my observations on this issue.

FileMaker Product(s) involved:

FileMaker Pro 10.0v1

Operating System(s) involved:

MacOS 10.5.6

Detailed description of the issue:

When scrolling away from the active record in list view, attempting to enter or while still in any field in either the header or footer will cause a failure of that field to render its data properly.  If a field is entered with the mouse after scrolling (I have not tried tabbing) it will blank to white, no mater the fill attributes. Mousing does not work at all in effected fields, though data can still be modified with the keyboard, and doing so will redraw the field at the moment of data entery, but the carrot insertion point does not flash as it should (the carrot flashing is a good way to see exactly when a field breaks as your scrolling). Commiting the record doesn't force a redraw (the carrot may still show). Mouse only fields, such as popup menus, do not render anything at all and thus cannot be used.

The distance one must scroll before the bug manifests seems to be related to the number of records actively visable in list view. If the window is very small, with only 3 records visable, scrolling the active record 4 steps away from view will cause fields in the header and footer from that record to exhibit the bug. Expand the window so 10 records are visable, then the active record must be 11 steps out of view for the bug to show.

Rendering of data in the fields is fine as long they are not entered for editing.  

Exact steps to reproduce the issue:

Create a database with one field and some number of records to allow scrolling.

Create a layout with a header and / or footer with an instance ofof your field.

View in list mode.

Scroll away from the active record, then attempt to edit the field in the header or footer.

Expected Result:

Normal editing of header / footer fields.

Actual Result:

Non active rendering of fields during manipulation.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:

No error shown

Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:

Somewhat interestingly, if the field in the header/footer is set to display a 'drop down list', it forces the active record into view, apparently allowing the field to function properly. I don't know why a 'drop down list' modifies the list view while a 'pop up menu' doesn't, but it seems former drawn by FileMaker while the later is drawn by the OS. Moreover, if a 'drop down menu' has the option selected to 'include arrow to show hide list', it will not move the list view and thus leaves the field display borked.

Any workarounds that you have found:

Scrolling the active record back into view returns the header/footer fields to normal function.

Use FM9.

• 4. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
                TSGal

Horatio:

Thank you for your post, but I am unable to duplicate the problem using FileMaker Pro 10 with Mac OS 10.5.6.  This is what I did:

1. I created a new database file.  I added one field, Name, of type Text.

2. I entered 20 records of different names.

3. I switched to "View As List", and I put a second occurrence of the Name field in the Header.

4. I went to the first record, and used command-down arrow to scroll to the end of the table.  Each time, the name changed in the Header.

5. In any of the records I scrolled, I was able to edit the Name field in the Header.

6. With the last record active, I scrolled to the top of the list (where only the first four records displayed).  I was able to edit the information in the header for the last record, and when I tabbed, the cursor brought me down to the last record.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you.  I'd like to duplicate this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
                  Horatio

I'll follow through the steps exactly as you took them:

1. I created a new database file.  I added one field, Name, of type Text.

OK

2. I entered 20 records of different names.

OK. I entered 1-20 instead.

3. I switched to "View As List", and I put a second occurrence of the Name field in the Header.

OK. Here I have sized the window to show only about five records.

4. I went to the first record, and used command-down arrow to scroll to the end of the table.  Each time, the name changed in the Header.

This is the same for me (assuming you mean control-down arrow, as cmd-dwn arw does nothing at all for me). Scrolling like this always keeps the active record in vew though, which seems to avoid the bug.

5. In any of the records I scrolled, I was able to edit the Name field in the Header.

Same as above.

6. With the last record active, I scrolled to the top of the list (where only the first four records displayed).  I was able to edit the information in the header for the last record, and when I tabbed, the cursor brought me down to the last record.

This is where we differ.

For me, if the last record is active and in view, having scrolled to it using ctrl-dwn arw, the header will correctly show the data '20'.  (with or without the 'name' field being entered).

I then scroll to the top using the OS scroll bar with the mouse (or mouse wheel), leaving the last record active. *Here* if I attempt to enter the field in the header using the mouse, it will blank to white (no matter the fill settings). I can still enter data, and doing so will refrash the field display (though the carrot still wont flash). I can tab from this field, and like you return to the last record.  What I can't do is, while the view is scrolled to the top and the last record active, use the mouse to select any text or move the input carrot of the field in the header.

Perhaps slightly more simply demonstrated by:

With the same database as above.

1. Start with the first record active

2. Enter the field in the header.  Select no text, but use the mouse or keyboard to put the input carrot somewhere visable and blinking.

3.Scroll down using the OS scroll bar by clicking on the down arrow, or use the mouse wheel

4. When the 7th record is fully out of view, the carrot will stop blinking, and the field in the header will no longer respond to mouse input. Though keyboard input will work.

Note:

How far a record has to be out of view appears to depend on how many can be viewed at once, and be connected to the visability of a record not some number of pixels.

This is a big deal for a project I'm working on, as most of my data display and entry happens in the footer.  If I scroll away from the active record all my entry fields get borked. I'd hate to have to regress to FM9 (which function normally) since I'm in love with script triggers.

• 6. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
                    TSGal

Horatio:

Got it!

I have forwarded this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will post again if I receive any information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
                      Horatio

An update and bump.

In the last five months I have further tested this in Vista sp1, and XP sp3 in addition to MacOS 10.5, using both FMP and FMPA vers 10.0v3.  In every case, any attempt to edit a field in the header or footer of list view while scrolled away from the active record fails to render the field data properly. Frustrating.

Has there been any progress?

• 8. Re: FMP 10 problems with global fields in headers or footers of list layout.
                        TSGal

Horatio:

The problem has been verified on both Mac OS and Windows.

In addition, another customer on the forum ran into the same problem one month ago today:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=19859

And, reading the notes to this issue, this was also shown to a Support Technician at the Developer's Conference this past weekend.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.