4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 11:05 AM by TSGal

FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect

Leglaw

Summary

FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect

Description of the issue

Ok, I've used several versions, but I admit I'm pretty new to FileMaker. Besides, I like the new quick start screen much more than previous versions, and it doesn't work on my work computer, so I thought those were good reasons to file a bug report. FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker Pro 11v1Operating System(s) involved:Mac OS X v 10.6.3Detailed description of the issue:Quick Start Screen does not show upon startup. Trashing com.filemaker.client.pro.plist and launching FM creates a new plist, but still QS screen does not show. Selecting option to show screen at launch populates the plist file with:     Preferences:ShowQuickStart     1.. but this also has no effect to show the screen.QS screen WILL show if and only if I manually select it by going to Help > Quick Start Screen.Exact steps to reproduce the issue: 1. Launch FileMaker Pro 11Expected Result:Quick Start Menu shows up on new install (new plist file) or with option selected to show screen at startup. Actual Result:QS screen does not show up regardless of setting. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:This is going to be difficult to reproduce... I installed FMP 11v1 on 5 computers already with no issue, and only one of those (mine) exhibits this behavior. All computers are macs, either 10.5.7 or 10.6.3 -- some Intel-based, some G5. All computers has prior installed versions of FileMaker Pro (8,9 or 10) except mine. FileMaker Pro 11 was a first-time installation of a FileMaker product on my computer. My computer is has 10.6.3 (Intel, of course)Any workarounds that you have found: None.

• 1. Re: FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect
          TSGal

Leglaw;

Thank you for your post.

One of our Technical Support reps only has FileMaker Pro 11 on his new MacBook.  The Quick Start Screen displays on startup.  He turned it off, quit and launched again.  The Quick Start Screen does not display.  He then pulled down the Help menu and selected Quick Start Screen, turned it back on again, quit and restarted.  The Quick Start Screen now displays.

Create a new user account, log into that new account and try again.  If the Quick Start Screen does not appear, pull down the Help menu and select Quick Start Screen, and then place a check mark in the bottom left corner "Show this screen when FileMaker Pro opens", close, and quit FileMaker Pro.  Launch FileMaker Pro again and see if the Quick Start Screen appears.  If so, then you have an issue with the user account.  If not, then you'll need to continue to do some sleuthing to find out what is different between your machine and the other machines.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect
            StephenMclean

I also have the same issue and have found no solution.

FMP 11 on Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

I'm able to select the Quick start screen from the Help menu, but it does not run on startup.

I have selected "Show this screen when Filemaker opens" but to no avail.  I have also deleted the plist file and the cache, logged off and restarted but no change.

Anybody have any other ideas for a solution?

• 3. Re: FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect
              BobGarrett

Is there some reason why this has been a problem for over a year now and is not resolved?  I read post after post about this problem but not one single "fix" I've come across brings the Quick Start Screen up when you run FMP 11 Advanced.  Is there someone from FileMaker that can tell us what it takes to get a $500 piece of software to show the Quick Start Screen??????

• 4. Re: FMP 11 - Quick Start Screen is a no-show -- option has no effect
                TSGal

Bob Garrett:

Thank you for your post.

I am still unable to replicate the problem using FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 on Mac OS X 10.6.8, FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 on Mac OS X 10.7.2, and FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Windows XP.  Each time, I can turn on and turn off the Quick Start screen, and it complies the next time launched.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  Are you accessing the file with full admin privileges?  Do you have any custom menus set up?  Is there a startup script?  Is the script Debugger open?  Do you have multiple FileMaker windows open?  Any other information you can provide about your computing environment to help replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.