3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 10:22 AM by DennisStults

FMP 11.0v4 on Mac OS Lion. When a close a window it may or may not (usually not) reopen to the same...

DennisStults

Summary

FMP 11.0v4 on Mac OS Lion. When a close a window it may or may not (usually not) reopen to the same size and configuration in which I left it.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS Lion

Description of the issue

I have several data bases which I designed. I set them to open to a certain size so I can see the entire form I have created and easily add data. Since upgrade to Lion - - and only under Lion - - when I close a window and or quit FMP, later to reopen it - the window resizes itself. Often it is smaller than my form so I have to again resize it to enter data, and sometimes it resized to larger size in which I see a bunch of "white space" around the right and or bottom sides.

This is new conduct under Lion. I have been using FMP in many versions over at least a decade and I don't recall this happening before.

The conduct is also not 100% consistent. There are times I open a data base window and find that it has, in fact, retained the size at which I previously set it. Go figure?
      Can you please let me  know if there is something I can do so that each data base I open opens to the size in which I have left it?

Thank you for your help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use data base, close window and/or quit FMP.  Reopen window

Expected result

I expect it to open in the size I left it, that is to say, my entire form visible and no white space around it.

Actual result

May or may not open in a different size.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

Resize window virtually every time I open one.

• 1. Re: FMP 11.0v4 on Mac OS Lion. When a close a window it may or may not (usually not) reopen to the same...
          TSGal

Dennis Stults:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am unable to replicate the problem on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.2 and FileMaker Pro 11.0v4, but I know you said this wasn't 100% reproducible, and these are the type of issues that are also frustrating to us.

Since your post almost three months ago, Mac OS X 10.7.2 has been released which fixed a number of redraw problems.  If the issue is still occurring, you can workaround this by doing the following:

1. In your database file, create a new table "Default" with the following two Number fields:

Window Height
          Window Width 

2. Add one blank record to "Default"

3. Create a script, CLOSING, with the following commands:

Freeze Window
          Go to Layout [ "Default" (Default) ]
          Set Field [ Default::Window Height ; Get ( WindowHeight) ]
          Set Field [ Default::Window Width ; Get ( WindowWidth) ]
          Go to Layout [ original layout ]

4. Create a script, OPENIING, with the following commands:

Freeze Window
          Go to Layout [ "Default" (Default) ]
          Move/Resize Window [ Current Window ; Height: Default::Window Height; Width: Default::Window Width ]
          Go to Layout [ original layout ]

5. Execute the script CLOSING to make sure values are placed into the one record in the Default table.

6. Pull down the File menu and select "File Options..."

7. Click the "Open/Close" tab at the top.

8. Under the section "When opening this file", put a check mark next to "Perform script:" and select the script OPENING.

9. Under the section "When closing this file, put a check mark next to "Perform script:' and select the script CLOSING.

------

Now, when you close the file, the CLOSING script will be executed that captures the Window Height and Window Width to the Default table.  When you open the file, the OPENING script will be executed that grabs the Window Height and Window Width from the Default table and adjusts the window to that size.

Although you shouldn't have to execute these scripts, this will ensure the window will open to the same size you last used the file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 11.0v4 on Mac OS Lion. When a close a window it may or may not (usually not) reopen to the same...
            philmodjunk

Hmm, just a minor detail to confirm. All these files are on your workstation and not hosted from a server?

• 3. Re: FMP 11.0v4 on Mac OS Lion. When a close a window it may or may not (usually not) reopen to the same...
              DennisStults

Indeed, the files are on my workstation only. Thank you for your responses.