1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 2:16 PM by Paper_Queen

FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used

Paper_Queen

Summary

FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac 10.9.5

Description of the issue

Upgraded to FM Pro 14 from FMP 13. Since then, the application crashes 15-20 times a day, regardless of which file I'm working on:

Receipts.fmp12 file:
      (Created in FMP 13)
      When opened in 14, it seems to be fine...then, out of nowhere, crashes. Can't find a pattern to what, when, etc.

Family Member Documents.fmp12 file:
      (Created in FMP 14)
      While finishing layouts the past few days, it seemed nearly all crashes occurred when I clicked the "Edit Layout" / "Exit Layout" button on the toolbar.

Upon relaunch (both files), all Favorites are missing from the FM splash page---no Recents appear either.

This is making it virtually impossible to work in FileMaker.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above.

Expected result

The app should not crash over and over and over again.

Actual result

Crashes 15-20 times per day, regardless of which file I'm using.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Crash window appears, then sends a report to Apple.

• 1. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
          Benjamin Fehr

Are you using any PlugIn's?

FMP14 is running in 64-bit mode per default on Mac. You can select the FMP14 application file, cmd / i (get info) and set the checkbox to   [x] run in 32-bit mode. I'm curious if you experience any crashes when running in 32-bit mode 

• 2. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
            Paper_Queen

No plugins, Benjamin (color me crazy, but in all these years with FMP, I've never used a plugin). 

Will toggle over the 32-bit to see if the crashes persist. I'm guessing that's going to slow things down---is that correct (hoping not, but thought it worth asking).

• 3. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
              Paper_Queen

It's been a couple of days, and problems persist.

I toggled the app to run in 32-bit mode, which (at first) appeared to considerably decrease the number of crashes. Since then, however, it's begun freezing up, refusing to allow even a "force quit" from the Finder---the fan kicks on, Finder locks up, and the only way out is to completely shut down the computer (stopping my heart in the process).

Each time there's a forced quit or a complete shut down, my Favorites and Recents are missing from the opening splash screen. It's as if FM has forgotten everything.

• 4. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                Paper_Queen

Here's another odd behavior---since the only file that appears in the splash screen is "FMP14 Getting Started," I decided to click it out of curiosity. The screen shot below tells the story (on a 15" MacBook Air). FileMaker apparently thinks my screen is considerably larger than reality, extending far beyond the bezel. 

• 5. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                  Paper_Queen

The repeated crashes continue, as does the lack of anything appearing in the splash screen other that "Getting Started" (i.e., none of my Favorites or Recents).

This is making it virtually impossible to work on the two databases I need to finish. 

• 6. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used

Paper_Queen:

Thank you for the post.

First, repair the disk permissions. Does the issue persist?

If so, then does this occur in a new user account?

OS X Mavericks: Set up users on your Mac

If the issue persists in a new user account, then reinstall FileMaker Pro 14; however, if the issue does not occur in the new user, then the original user account is likely corrupt and you should contact Apple about migrating user accounts. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                      Benjamin Fehr

Paper_Queen:

Are you considering to update to the free Mac OSX 10.10 - Yosemite?

There's a chance that the issue just disappears. 

• 8. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                        Paper_Queen

TSFalcon: Repaired permissions---made no difference.

Next, tried the extra account idea. Initially, I had the same problem with the two Welcome panels that extend beyond the screen (see earlier post for screen shot). Worse this time, however, opening my FM database only gets rid of the panel on the right---the panel on the left stays in place, hiding part of my file. Can't find any way to get rid of it. A screen shot of this newest twist is shown below.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling once before (on Saturday, I believe), but no luck. Has crashed 30? 40? 50? times today alone.

I'm willing to try reinstalling again, but before doing so, it would be helpful to know what method do you suggest? I used CleanMyMac 3 last time, to get all the bits and pieces that hide in dark corners. Afterward, I did a new install using the .dmg file downloaded from the FileMaker website.

Also, is it possible I simply have a bad .dmg of the FMP 14 upgrade? At this point, nothing seems outlandish.

Benjamin Fehr: Yes, but not quite yet, as there's a legacy app I need to find a way around first.

• 9. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                          VincentL

Did you checked for :

- corrupted fonts

- duplicates fonts

- old acrobat install (that one was a crasher in 11 era)

• 10. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used

Paper_Queen:

Thank you for the reply and screenshot. 

I suspect your screen resolution is the cause of the oddly placed and sized windows. What is your resolution currently set to? ( > System Preferences > Display > Toggle “Scaled”)

OS X Mavericks: Adjust your display resolution

Vincent L (thank you!) has a great point about fonts. To restore default fonts:

1. Open FontBook.app

2. Click “File” > “Restore Standard Fonts…”

Quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro 14.0.1. If the issue persists, then check for user installed fonts here:

<yourUser>/Library/Fonts/

Pull the user installed fonts out of the folder and quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro 14.0.1.

Keep me updated with any progress. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                              Paper_Queen

Based on your sage advice, I restored standard fonts via FontBook, then quit and restarted FMP. Still crashing, but not as frequently (either that, or I've become partially immune).

Haven't had a chance to pull the User-installed fonts out of the folder yet---another client job interrupted my day.

Regarding screen resolution, I have it set at 1152 x 720, with "Scaled" already selected. Shouldn't cause the Welcome screens to go so wonky, IMHO.

The good news:

1. Since restoring standard fonts, the database I've been focused on does appear in the Launch Center screen. Apparently, one of my user fonts was having an impact, although not responsible for all the crashes.

2. My file loads considerably faster than before---no 5-10 second lag that was occurring earlier (which I wrongly assumed was part of the deal when containers save images to external storage...sure am glad that's wrong).

The bad news:

3. Approximately 75% of the time (more?), clicking the Edit Layout/ Exit Layout button on the far right end of the toolbar crashes FMP.

4. Manually clicking/scrolling through records in a form layout crashes FMP.

5. A few times, FMP refused to fully launch. The icon appears in my dock (not bouncing, which makes me think it's launched), but nothing will open, menu options appear dead. Not greyed out. Just dead.

6. A couple of times, when switching from layout mode to browse mode, the Inspector panel remained visible, instead of disappearing. Had to click the red "stoplight" button to close it.

On a related note: Before building these two databases, I dug though the forums and help files to confirm Dropbox wasn't a problem. Thankfully, there's been no sign of "Conflict Copies" (the red flag telling you a sync occurred as you were editing a file). I paused Dropbox at the same time as restoring standard fonts earlier today, but don't think it had an impact. Still...might be worth testing the theory.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be away from the office until Monday, which means this will sit dormant for a few days. Am going to try pulling the user fonts out of the Fonts folder then, as suggested by TSFalcon

Gotta tell you, your support and tips are deeply appreciated. 

• 12. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                                Paper_Queen

From TSFalcon's most recent post:

If the issue persists, then check for user installed fonts here:

<yourUser>/Library/Fonts/

Pull the user installed fonts out of the folder and quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro 14.0.1.

There was nothing marked "User fonts" or "User installed fonts," but there was a folder named "Fonts (Removed)" in both my User account and the primary hard drive folder tree. Both were moved out of their positions to a new folder outside their Libraries. I quit, then relaunched FMP, but am still crashing, in all sorts of scenarios:

• Dragging a PDF into the container field crashed FMP, then after auto-relaunch, it refused to open my file. 

• Next, FMP refused to quit. Tried the Quit command in the dock menu, the File drop down menu, using Command Q...nothing worked. Finally had to do a force quit, even though that option didn't appear in the dock menu.

• The next launch attempt crashed the app again.

• Another time, the app crashed when I switched between layouts in Browse mode.

The longest period of time without crashes seems to be about 5? 10? minutes today. This is making me crazy.

• 13. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used

Paper_Queen:

Thank you for the reply and additional testing.

On a related note: Before building these two databases, I dug though the forums and help files to confirm Dropbox wasn't a problem. Thankfully, there's been no sign of "Conflict Copies" (the red flag telling you a sync occurred as you were editing a file). I paused Dropbox at the same time as restoring standard fonts earlier today, but don't think it had an impact.”

Does this mean that the file is backed up to Dropbox or that the file is being modified while stored on Dropbox?

Another user reported an issue when working on a file stored on Dropbox here:

Memory leak with FMPro 14?

Does this behavior continue if the the database file is opened from your user’s desktop?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FMP 14 Continually crashing, regardless of which file is being used
                                    Paper_Queen

As a refresher, I'm having the crash problem with two databases created in FMP: One that uses containers (contents stored in external folder); one that has no container (is data only).

Haven't tried either solution from outside Dropbox since I've always launched FMP files from inside, keeping my laptop and office computer "on the same page." The only reason I bothered to research the topic this time around is because one of the new files uses external storage for container contents---a first for me.

The new data-only solution was created specifically to take advantage of the way mobile devices can now export FM directly into FMGo from the Dropbox mobile app. 

If launching from inside Dropbox is a problem, it could be a deal killer for both solutions. Is this a known bug (given the fact it never caused problems in FMP 12 or 13)? 

1 2 Previous Next