Summary

FMP 8.5 crashing on trying to "Save as PDF" on Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows Vista Home Premium

Description of the issue

Trying to save standard label layout as a PDF using File menu. FMP is crashing every time, hanging on the "trying to find a solution" pop up. I haven't changed anything about the layout of the labels. I run this label set regularly, and this is the first time it's crashed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Select a subgroup of records, sort by zip code, then choose Layout "Mass labels 10up". Under File menu, choose "Save or send as: PDF". At name prompt, choose appropriate name.

Expected result

Label set will be saved as a PDF to the chosen directory.

Actual result

FMP goes all cloudy and an error message appears.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." with a "close program" button.

Workaround

None.

FMP_crash_screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: FMP 8.5 crashing on trying to "Save as PDF" on Windows
          philmodjunk

A crash can damage your file and file damage can cause a crash so for both reasons, it would be a good idea to run a recover on your database to see if any issues are reported.

You might also create a small test file and try saving as PDF to see if you get the same crash or not. If you do not, this is further evidence that there may be a problem with your file or this layout.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FMP 8.5 crashing on trying to "Save as PDF" on Windows
            DThomas

Apologies for the delayed response...

Still crashes with a smaller subset for pdf.

Recover did not correct problem, and still don't know what exactly the problem is.

I will try to do a new layout and see if that helps. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Another tidbit: to print directly from the layout works fine (I did that yesterday with no problems whatsoever). It's just when I try to save it as a pdf.