3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 11:15 AM by TSGal

FMP 9 stopped working. Won't open after reinstall

catocop

Summary

FMP 9 stopped working. Won't open after reinstall

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:  FMP advanced, 9.0.3, then 9.0.1 Operating System(s) involved Mac OS 10.5.6 Detailed description of the issue: I had FMP Adv 9.0.3 installed, but one day I noticed it wasn't working. I think this was after I upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. Hard to say, since I don't use Filemaker every day.Exact steps to reproduce the issue: no matter what I try it stays broken.Expected Result: filemaker would open and I could use itActual Result Icon bounces in dock about 30 times. Then there is a Problem Report box that opensExact text of any error message(s) that appeared  Process:         FileMaker Pro [287]Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker ProIdentifier:      com.filemaker.pro.advancedVersion:         ??? (???)Code Type:       PPC (Native)Parent Process:  launchd [91] Date/Time:       2008-09-01 17:10:23.449 -0400OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)Report Version:  6 Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000008fe0105cCrashed Thread:  0 Dyld Error Message:  Symbol not found: __ZNSt15basic_streambufIcSt11char_traitsIcEE5imbueERKSt6locale  Referenced from: /Applications/FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/Support.framework/Versions/A/Support  Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue: I've read the suggestion posted here to unintall, delete .data file in FLEXnet folder, empty trash, reset clock and reboot, then reinstall. I tried that but it didn't work. Icon still bounces. I downloaded and installed trial version of 10. That icon bounces too, but never opens. I tried upgrading to 9.0.3 but that just bounces too. Any workarounds that you have found: none.

• 1. Re: FMP 9 stopped working. Won't open after reinstall
          TSGal

catacop:

Thank you for your post.

I have FileMaker Pro Advanced 9.0v3 running on my iMac with OS X 10.5.6, so I know it runs.  Let's try to determine what is wrong.

I'm glad that you already tried the uninstall/reinstall, reset system clock, .data file in FLEXnet folder, etc.  These are the most common problems, so that will save some additional time.

I will assume that your other (Apple and non-Apple) applications are running without a problem.

FileMaker Pro 10 (app and trial) does not use the FLEXnet folder, so that possibility is completely eliminated as well as the system clock.

Create a NEW user account and log onto that account.  Launch FileMaker Pro 10 from that user account and see if the problem exists.  If so, uninstall and reinstall (FileMaker Pro 10 only) from that user account.  Launch FileMaker Pro 10 again.  If it launches properly in either of these two scenarios, then you probably have a user account problem.

Log back onto your original user account and run Apple's "Disk Utility" to repair disk permissions.

Remove the preferences file:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.filemakerpro.plist

... and launch again.  As FileMaker Pro launches, it reads the preferences file.  If one doesn't exist, a new one is created.

Let's start with these steps.  Please let me know your progress.  This would be helpful to other users.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 9 stopped working. Won't open after reinstall
            catocop

Thanks for your suggestions. I created a NEW user account, logged in, launched Filemaker 10 - the icon just bounces. So I threw the folder in the trash, emptied the trash, rebooted, logged in as NEW user account, unpacked and installed the Filemaker 10 trial.dmg. Double-clicked to launch and got the bouncing icon again. The rest of your suggestions seemed to relate to the app launching successfully, which it didn't.

Should I try to restore Filemaker 9.0.3 from my Time Machine backup? I did that once but maybe I didn't go back far enough. 

• 3. Re: FMP 9 stopped working. Won't open after reinstall
              TSGal

catocop:

Thanks for the information.

The removal of the preferences file could have caused a problem, but since it happens in two different user accounts, there would be two preferences file.  No need to try this step.

I would still launch "Disk Utility" and repair disk permissions.

Yes, you could try and restore FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 from Time Machine.  However, if you suspect the system, you may want to restore that, too.  Go back to a time when you knew it worked.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.