Summary

FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.3

Description of the issue

Intermittent - the behaviour below happens with several different database files.

The application FMP Advanced will sometime quit normally when you quit a database.

Other times it will allow you to launch a database, work in the database - however upon quitting  - it will go through the steps of quitting the database when you choose to do so - however the App itself does not quit. 

When that happens you cannot launch another database until you physically Force Quit the application.

Error message that appears is below.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Quit a database and the App and launch another database

Expected result

Database should open

Actual result

Error message is returned that claims the App cannot be opened.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Attempting to open another database after quitting FMP - the database quits - the application doesn't - gets you the following Error Message Dialog Box

The Application FileMaker Pro Advanced can't be opened.

Configuration information

Mac OS x 10.7.3

Latest version of FMP 12.

Workaround

Force quit the application

• 1. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
          TSGal

David Freedman:

Thank you for your detailed post.

Does the database file close when you Quit?  Or, does the file remain open?

If you close the file first (clicking the red close window button), are you then able to Quit?

What other applications do you have open when you have to Force Quit?

I know this issue occurs "with several different database files", but does this occur after a specific database file has been used?

Try removing the FileMaker Advanced Preferences file at:

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist

Then launch FileMaker Pro Advanced again so a new one can be created (in case the old one was somehow damaged).

Try creating a new user account, login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced, work with a file and see if you are able to replicate the problem.

If the problem still occurs in the new user account, then I would remove FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced and reinstall.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
            DavidFreedman

Morning TSGal

Thank you for the speedy reply. To update you:

I removed the preference file as you suggested. No change in the behaviour. I did begin to look if the action was triggered by one particular database file - the answer is no - however in doing that I was able to refine the problem. If you quit FM Pro Advanced with all databases open - the databases and the App all close - however - if you opt to close the file first by clicking on the red button (in cases where I have more than one database open or in cases where I am closing out the second window (taking advantage of the new feature in FM 12) that will trigger the problem - in that the remaining databases closes or quits but the application does not quit.

Hope that helps you to remedy the problem. On my part - I am just not going to close any individual database or window prior to going to the menu and quiting the application. At least in the interim, as you work out the problem.

David

• 3. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
              TSGal

David Freedman:

Thank you for the additional information.

Do you have any database files that execute a script when closing?  If so, does one or more of the closing scripts call external scripts in other files?

Did you try this in a new user account?  If so, what were the results?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
                DavidFreedman

Afternoon TSGal

None of the files execute a script on closing.

I have tried it on a new user account. It does not seem to be an issue within the new account.

I suppose you are going to suggest removal of FM Advanced and reinstall. Is there a particular protocol you want me to follow to ensure all of the parts are removed or is it sufficient to simply drag the folder to the trash?

David

• 5. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
                  TSGal

David Freedman:

Thank you again for the additional information.

No, I am not suggesting removal of FileMaker Pro Advanced and reinstall.  If it works in a new user account but not the original user account, reinstalling will not help.  We'll need to focus on the current user account to determine what is different.

For each user account, FileMaker Pro will use a temporary folder on the system to cache information.  When you quit, that file should be removed.  Therefore, in case there is some disk permission issue in that user account, run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions.  You will find Disk Utility in the following folder:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Once launched, select the hard disk and repair disk permissions.

You can also try copying the preferences file from the new user account to the original user account.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMP Advanced Hangs on Quit
                    DavidFreedman

Evening TSGal

Just updating you on the status of my problem. Your last suggestion to rebuild permissions seems to hjave done the trick. I have been working with several databases over the last few days - the problem has not re-occured.

Thank you for the suppport. Very timely and right to the point.

David