Summary

FMP installer does not install server.pem file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP Pro SP 3

Description of the issue

Some installations of Filemaker Pro 11 do not place a copy of server.pem in the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11\ folder. The absence of this file makes it impossible to see any files hosted on a FileMaker Pro Server Advanced 11 server. Copying the file from a successful installation adds the needed functionality. The file appears to contain RSA certificate and key information.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install FMP Advanced v11

Expected result

See available files on FileMaker server

Actual result

Do not see any files (may not even connect to server)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Workaround

Copy server.pem to C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11\

• 1. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
          AdamZeckel

I second this. Very frustrating to 1.) figure this out and now 2.) double check every installation within our user base going forward.

• 2. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
            TSGal

Lyle and Adam Zeckel:

Thank you for your posts.

I have tested installing FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and FileMaker Pro 11 on machines running Windows XP SP3 and Vista, and although I am unable to replicate the problem, I have forwarded your information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) teams for further review.

Are you both trying to install FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v2 or 11.0v1?  FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 or 11.0v1?  Is this a volume license version?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down this issue.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
              ClayTarver

A similar issue just popped up today; the difference is that it was not a fresh install.  Apparently the .pem file evaporated spontaneously after having worked properly for some weeks.  I'll monitor the machine in question and write back if there are further errors.

Update 02022011-

Apparently our event was a one-off, or perhaps some sort of misunderstanding.  Hasn't occurred since.

• 4. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                AdamZeckel

TSGal -

Version is FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 and it hasn't occured on everyone's machine that we've tried to install on, but it happened on quite a few. On my machine this happened on the trial version, a single license purchase, and the volume license purchase. Most of our users only installed the volume license version, but by that point I just included the server.pem file in my communications and had them copy it to their install directory whether it was already there or not. I wasn't able to pinpoint why the error occured on some machines and not others - and we're also on a mix of Vista and XP.

• 5. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                  TSGal

All:

Thank you for the information.

The issue is still being investigated by our Testing department.  Adam Zeckel - If you are able to discover any commonality between the machines that didn't install the server.pem file, please let me know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                    JackGorski

All,

I had the user who is having problems connecting to the remote databases place the server.pem file in her c:\Local Drive\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11\ folder.  I then had her open remote and select the host, then select the file she wished to open.

She received an hour glass symbol, and toward the end of the wait time, she received a white outlined box, the one where she needed to enter her username and password, I presume, then she received the error message she always received where the file could not be opened or it didn't exist at the server.

So, we have made some progress here, but she still can't open the databases she sees at the host.

Is there any specific information she needs to change in the server.pem file?  As it contains registry information, how is it updated for her particular computer and installation of FileMaker?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack Gorski

• 7. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                      TSGal

Jack Gorski:

Let's first see if the user can open a remote file.  Pull down File menu and select "Open Remote".  At the bottom of the Open Remote File windows, enter into Network File Path:

fmnet:/<IP Address of hosted file>/<filename.fp7>

If this opens, then the server.pem file needs to be replaced.  Find a similar machine where there is no problem using Open Remote, and copy that server.pem file to the problem machine.  Launch FileMaker Pro, go into Open Remote, and see if the Host machine displays.  If so, select it and see if the file is listed under "Available Files".

What version of Windows are you running?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                        JackGorski

Dear TSGal,

Unfortunately, I am on a Mac computer.  There is no server.pem file on my machine.  I also have

a Windows Version 7 Laptop, but I can no longer run FileMaker on it, as the trial for that machine ran out

in February 2010.  I copied the server.pem file from that machine to the Windows XP Laptop that is having

problems connecting to the remote databases.  As you saw from my last post, the user was able to see a white

box, which represented the log in window, that never got filled in, and then the error message indicating that the

file either could not be opened or it didn't exist at the remote server.

So, is there any way I can get a copy of the server.pem file for a Windows XP machine that I can send to the user

who can't connect?

Thank you kindly for your assistance!

Jack Gorski

• 9. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                          JackGorski

To anyone listening,

I sent a response to TSGal earlier, but have not received any kind of response.

Does anyone have a server.pem file from a Windows XP machine that I can send to the user having problems

connecting to the databases on our remote FileMaker 8.02b server?

Thank you,

Jack Gorski

• 10. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                            Lyle1

Jack, I've got one that appears to work on my Windoze box. Where would you like it sent?

• 11. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                              TSGal

Jack Gorski:

Sorry for the late reply.  I was unexpectedly out of the office last week.

The server.pem file is located inside the FileMaker Pro application bundle under Contents -> MacOS -> server.pem

I'm not 100% certain the server.pem file works cross platform, so you may want to try it.  If not, I'll make sure one is sent to you from a Windows machine.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional instructions.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                                DennyBrown

Similar problem. We're running FMPro Server 9 on a Mac. One client's laptop is dying, so he's migrating to a new laptop running Win 7. Installed FMP 9 on the Win 7 box. In Open Remote, he sees the server via its IP address. fmnet://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/. Selecting that does NOT bring up the list of available files. The files list is empty.

We checked his install folder. There is a server.pem file there. Our next step is to try copying the server.pem from the old laptop that was working to this one. I'll report on success or failure...

Meanwhile, are there any other standard causes for the problem? Before I landed here, I was suspecting a firewall problem on the Win 7 box.

-Denny

• 13. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                                  DennyBrown

Following up on yesterday's post. We copied the server.pem file from the old laptop to the new one, and it worked. We now get the file list and the appropriate files can be opened as before.

So, in addition to the "server.pem" file doesn't exist, you also might have "server.pem" file is somehow incorrect. In either case, the fix seems to be "Copy a known working server.pem file into the installation directory."

@TSGal: The additional data might be useful for the engineering team as they chase down the problem. In some characterizations of the problem, it looks like they are trying to decide why the server.pem file didn't get installed. In this case, it got installed, but didn't work. Maybe there's a clue in there?

-Denny

• 14. Re: FMP installer does not install server.pem file
                                    GeoffreyMartin

Having all the same symptoms, tried copying the Server.pem file from the last machine that the sharing worked on and I got nada. Nothing is coming up when I go to the open remote.  Same network, worked a week ago on different machines before IT moved it off of those machines and gave me a new machine.

1 2 Previous Next