1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 3:41 PM by philmodjunk

FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters

edmorcaldi

Summary

FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 & 12

Operating system version

Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

I just discovered a limitation for email texts. FMP11 and fmp12
      Native email text is limited to 990 characters between ¶ paragraph returns.
      This happens to any and every paragraph longer than 990.
      The workaround is to limit the string, insert a paragraph return.
      Do we know about this?  SendMail, from field data, SMTPserver

FMP11 (not a complete clip)
      1971. An authority in medieval and renaissance literature, he was a popular and eloquent teacher and writer. In 1976 he was appointed as the Frederick Clifford Ford Professor of English and Comparative Literature, and the following year was named to the newly established John Hay Whitney Chair in the Humanities. Tapped as Yale's 19th president in 1978, he served in that capacity until his resignation in 1986. Bart's lifelong love of baseball helped lead, at tha!
      t time, t
      o his selection as president of the National League, and in April of 1989, just five months before his death on September 1, he was named commissioner of baseball. 

FMP12
      The xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx was created here in 1989 through gifts from family, friends, and admirers in memory of the former Yale president. A. Bartlett Giamatti--best known to many as Bart--was born in Boston in 1938 and graduated from Yale College in 1960 with a degree in English, magna cum laude. Continuing on to our Graduate School, he received his Ph.D. in comparative literature in 1964. After teaching briefly at Princeton, he returned to Yale as an assistant professor of English in 1966 and rose to full professor by 1971. An authority in medieval and renaissance literature, he was a popular and eloquent teacher and writer. In 1976 he was appointed as the Frederick Clifford Ford Professor of English and Comparative Literature, and the following year was named to the newly established John Hay Whitney Chair in the Humanities. Tapped as Yale's 19th president in 1978, he served in that capacity until his resignation in 1986. Bart's lifelong love of baseball helped lead, at tha!
      t time, t
      o his selection as president of the National League, and in April of 1989, just five months before his death on September 1, he was named commissioner of baseball.

Steps to reproduce the problem

workaround is to limit single paragraphs to less than 990 char. 990 chars will fail. There is not a limit for the total email that I have discovered.

Expected result

FMP12
      The xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx was created here in 1989 through gifts from family, friends, and admirers in memory of the former Yale president. A. Bartlett Giamatti--best known to many as Bart--was born in Boston in 1938 and graduated from Yale College in 1960 with a degree in English, magna cum laude. Continuing on to our Graduate School, he received his Ph.D. in comparative literature in 1964. After teaching briefly at Princeton, he returned to Yale as an assistant professor of English in 1966 and rose to full professor by 1971. An authority in medieval and renaissance literature, he was a popular and eloquent teacher and writer. In 1976 he was appointed as the Frederick Clifford Ford Professor of English and Comparative Literature, and the following year was named to the newly established John Hay Whitney Chair in the Humanities. Tapped as Yale's 19th president in 1978, he served in that capacity until his resignation in 1986. Bart's lifelong love of baseball helped lead, at that time, to his selection as president of the National League, and in April of 1989, just five months before his death on September 1, he was named commissioner of baseball.

Actual result

FMP12
      The xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx was created here in 1989 through gifts from family, friends, and admirers in memory of the former Yale president. A. Bartlett Giamatti--best known to many as Bart--was born in Boston in 1938 and graduated from Yale College in 1960 with a degree in English, magna cum laude. Continuing on to our Graduate School, he received his Ph.D. in comparative literature in 1964. After teaching briefly at Princeton, he returned to Yale as an assistant professor of English in 1966 and rose to full professor by 1971. An authority in medieval and renaissance literature, he was a popular and eloquent teacher and writer. In 1976 he was appointed as the Frederick Clifford Ford Professor of English and Comparative Literature, and the following year was named to the newly established John Hay Whitney Chair in the Humanities. Tapped as Yale's 19th president in 1978, he served in that capacity until his resignation in 1986. Bart's lifelong love of baseball helped lead, at tha!
      t time, t

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error, email goes through successfully. The exclamation point is not present in Mac email client, but the line breaks are present.

The email was compiled and saved to an FMP field then field sent via email script step.

Configuration information

FMP 12v4, 11v5 Mac. Snow Leopard, AppleMail client & Entourage Client.

Workaround

limit email paragraphs to 990 characters

• 1. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
          TSGal

edmorcaldi:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem with either FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 running under Mac OS X 10.9 and Mail 7.0.  I do not have access to a Snow Leopard machine.

In essence, your entire paragraph is sent and received without any split or carriage returns in the text.

Do you have access to another computer with FileMaker Pro installed?  If so, please try it and let me know if there is any issue.

In case there is a hidden character in your original text, try copying the paragraph above to the clipboard, go into Send Mail, and paste into the "Message", and send it to yourself.  Does this work?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
            edmorcaldi

We did all sorts of tests. I created a simple FMDB to count the characters. Below is a sample. No hidden characters. (Sorry about the obnoxious reply) This was a single paragraph of "the " pattern start to finish. You can see the splits. We did not try it on other OS. 

the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the t!

he the th

e the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the!

the the 

the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the t!

he the th

e the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the!

the the 

he the th

the the 

he the th

e the the the the the the the the the the the the the 

• 3. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
              Markus Schneider

TSGal:

just curious (and nothing against the TS folks - You are doing a super job): FMI does testing with an old FM Version on a brand new OS with no chance to do testings on an older, supported OS? If so: Please ask Your boss to get a machine with an older OS.. 10.9 came out on Oct. 22 2013...

• 4. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                Markus Schneider

Confirm.

I got the same results here - OSX 10.8.5, FM 12.04 (12.05 is AFAIK for 10.9)

Edit:

btw: I created an own text as well as copy&paste the text from the post above

Edit2:

I can send that text using mail (without FileMaker, just typing the text into a new mail) without problems, without paragraphs. Mail 6.6 (10.8.5)

• 5. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                  Markus Schneider

Edit3:

same result under 10.9, mail 7.0, FileMaker 12.04 -> text will be clipped when sent via FileMaker

• 6. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                    Markus Schneider

I just realized that edmorcaldi is running 10.6 - sorry!

but: I am able to reproduce the problem under 10.6.8 with FileMaker 11 - same behavior as under 10.8.x / 10.9

• 7. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                      TSGal

markus schneider:

Thank you for your posts.

I'm not always in the office replying.  At the time I was testing, I only had a Mac 10.9 machine available.  Now that I'm in the office, I have just performed the test with Mac OS X 10.8.5 without an issue.  I'll be tracking down a Mac OS X 10.6.8 machine shortly.

Here is a screen shot of the mail I received under Mail version 6.6 and Mac OS X 10.8.5.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                        TSGal

edmorcaldi and marcus schneiderl:

I was able to locate a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I performed a manual Send Mail and a scripted Send Mail with the same results.  I am not getting the return characters.  See the screen shot below.

Since this issue is happening to both of you, try looking in the Sent folder to see if the information is being sent correctly.  If so, let me know what ISP you are sending to, so I can try to find something comparable here.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                          edmorcaldi

TSGal: 

This was sent directly out of FileMaker via SMTP server. This never went through the client. It did end up segmented in both Outlook and MacMail

• 10. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                            Markus Schneider

Yes, via SMTP - as stated in the first paragrah in the original posting. I was able to reproduce under all OS, FM 11/12

• 11. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                              TSGal

edmorcaldi and markus schneider:

My apologies.  I somehow got stuck on "Native email texts" equating it to email client.

i can definitely replicate the problem under FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12, but my carriage retursn are inserted after every 998th character.  I have sent along your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                                philmodjunk

Anyone try this with Windows?

• 13. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this issue report. Any questions/comments/suggested corrections about that entry should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such to the Bugs List Thread.

• 14. Re: FMP native email via SMTP has a Paragraph limit of 990 characters
                                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Yes, this also occurs under Windows 7 and Windows XP.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next