Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP Advanced 13.05

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.2

Description of the issue

Hi.

We do a lot of data import and processing with FMP 13 as a single-user desktop application.

The processing involves building indexing, doing field calculations, et cetera.

When doing such work, the high end iMac i7 ( 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive ) is overwhelmed in general.

For example, the keyboard behavior is erratic regardless of the app used at the time.

With a "modern" OS, there should not be so much interference from the one app.

Is this a FMP problem or an OSX Yosemite (10.10.2) problem???

We prefer not to have a dedicated Mac just for importing the data.

And we have no need to use FMP Server.

Why, these days, is the FMP memory cache still limited to 512MB??

Do we need to purchase a high-end ( fast ) SSD drive??

Steps to reproduce the problem

Any time importing or processing large data sets with FMP

Expected result

Would like to use the computer for other tasks while FMP is at work.

Actual result

Largely can't.  Typing is especially erratic.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

iMac 27 3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion Drive, 2TB free HD memory

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
          TSGal

xco:

Thank you for your post.

I've been exporting and importing semi-large data sets (8,000,000+ records - 2GB text file), and I don't have any issue with my keyboard.  I'm replying to this post while the import is occurring.  This import is occurring on my iMac.

Do you have any plug-ins installed and enabled?  If you disable the plug-ins, are you seeing the same performance?

What other applications are you noticing the keyboard being "erratic"?

I don't have an answer for why the FileMaker Pro memory cache is set to 128 MB to 512 MB.  I have sent a request to Development and Testing for more information.  When I receive a reply, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
            wxtyrs

Hi.

The erratic keyboard performance is system wide, irrespective of plug-ins.

For example, if the Mac screen saver goes on, with time, I cannot enter the password.

To get back into the Mac, I must go to the higher level login screen, select the relevant user, then login.

The problem occurs irrespective of the FMP cache setting.

The import process includes field-level calculations.

• 3. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
              Benjamin Fehr

xco

Since this issue appears on other application than FM as well, the issue certainly lays outside of the FMP environment.

Though let's check some possible Mac issues:

- is there any virus protection installed? (this can slow down performance)

- is there some gimmicks, small apps, etc. installed? Any stuff running in the background?

- Does Activity-Monitor indicate any heavy network traffic or CPU usage?

- did you try the Apple Disk-Utility to check Volume (hard drive) and general maintenance at all?

- can you do a hardware test? This issue could be caused by defect Harddisc OR Ram.

- does your hard drive contain more than 10% free capacity at all?!

• 4. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
                RickWhitelaw

On one of my machines Ii run Yosemite. It's a 2011 MBP. Yosemite has basically bricked the machine. Apple should have never recommended the Yosemite installation on this machine. The most obvious problem is the failure of typing in almost any app. My first generation iPad is a lot faster in almost every wayI so to me it's no surprise that intense (or even normal) operations in FileMaker brick your computer.

• 5. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
                  wxtyrs

Hi,

The issue relates to FMP, and perhaps FMP in relation to some other app.

There are no problems whatsoever if FMP is not running (and processing).

FMP 13.05 typically consumes >99% of the CPU continuously for the period, based on Activity Monitor data ( see screen shot ).

It may consume, at the same time, >350MB of RAM (on a 32GB iMac i7).

The import processing "period" may be 60 minutes, or far more, depending on the volume of data import.

No other application comes even remotely close to this CPU-wise ( generally <5% ).

Note, there is virus scanning software.

But the problem has been occurring well before this was ever installed.

The platform: late 2012 3.4GHz i7 iMac with 32GB RAM and 3TB Fusion HD ( 1.88TB free ).

• 6. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
                    Benjamin Fehr

Great analysis. Makes it evidently that the issue is caused by FMP, somehow.

To narrow this down:

- Does this occur with every FM-File? If you build a new DB from scratch, let's say with only 2 fields, does it also show CPU processing on 100%? 

- what is CPU strain when FMP is idle?

• 7. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
                      Markus Schneider

- What happens, when You deactivate/deinstall ALL of the security stuff (Little snitch, anti virus, cybersecurity,)? 

- Plugins... Do You have any plugins installed (You did not answer that question)

- as Benjamin mentioned: Test with a simple, vanilla file (no scripts, no triggers, )

FM doesn't slow down other processes here, but that doesn't mean much. My gut feeling is that FM locks something - but could also be because some 3 party stuff is treating FM bad..

• 8. Re: FMP processing undermines overall OSX performance substantially
                        Benjamin Fehr

I got that wrong. There are PlugIns involved?!

- check for most current version of PlugIns, update, restart, check.

- give it another try with all PlugIn deactivated, restart, check.

There were some issues with PlugIn's AND Yosemite but only with older Plugs.