fmp url seems to break file references on Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

13 latest

Operating system version

iOS 7

Description of the issue

When you create a FileMaker file in iOS by exporting from a container field, and opening the file via an fmp url, then the result file can't see any existing files on disk in normal External Data Sources, and there are duplicate recent files created.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create two files, File A and File B.

File B has a file reference to File A, and can call a script or set related data in A.

In File A, have a container field, and insert B.

Have a script in A that exports the container field, and then uses an fmp url to open the new file.

When you do that, file B can't see file A at all to set data or call scripts.

Plus two copies of file A appear in the recent folder, opening the top one repeats the issue.  Opening the second one seems to solve it.  Alternately opening the file from the "devices" tab also works.

Expected result

The file reference isn't anything odd, it's hard coded, so it should work fine.

Actual result

The file can't be found and locating it manually still fails to open the file, even though it is actually open.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

It's a standard file is "in use" error message.

Configuration information

I've got sample files to demo this, the setup is a little complex.

Workaround

Opening the file from the devices tab works, even though opening it from the recent files doesn't.  Also opening from a web clip icon also works.

• 1. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
          TSGal

Nicholas Orr:

I'm unable to replicate the issue.  If I'm reading your description correctly, here are the steps I took.

1. I created FileA.fmp12 with the following four fields:

ID (Number)
               Address (Text)
               CityStateZip (Text)
               Container (Container)

2. I entered one record as follows:

ID: 1
               Address: 5201 Patrick Henry Drive
               CityStateZip: Santa Clara, CA 95054

3. I created FileB.fmp12 with the following two fields:

ID (Number)
               Name (Text)

4. In the Relationship Graph, I added FileA.fmp12 to the graph, and linked ID with ID.

5. In Layout Mode (of FileB), I created a portal into FileA that shows Address and CityStateZip.

6. I created a record and added the following data:

ID: 1
               Name: TSGal

(As expected, the data in the portal is displayed).

7. I close FileB, return to FileA, and insert FileB into "Container".

8. I create two similar scripts for testing:

EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS
                  Export Field Contents [ FileA::Container ; "FileB.fmp12" ; Automatically open ]

EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS COPY
                  Export Field Contents [ FileA::Container ; "FileB.fmp12" ]
                  Open URL [ "fmp://%7E/FileB" ]

9. I close the file.

10. I connect my iPad to my Mac, launch iTunes, and move over FileA.fmp12 to FileMaker Go 13.0v2.

11. I launch FileMaker Go 13, open FileA.fmp12, and execute the script EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS.  FileB opens.

12. I close FileB, return to Home, tap Device, and remove FileB.fmp12.

13. Returning to FileA, I modified the Address and deleted the last three characters.  I then executed the script EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS COPY.

14. FileB opens with the changes in the portal.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
            nickorr

TSGal,

I think perhaps running the first script that works will affect it.  Can I send you a sample file?

Cheers,

Nick

• 3. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
              TSGal

Nicholas Orr:

Since I am unable to reproduce the issue, please send in a file where it fails.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                databuzz

I've got exactly the same issue - File A is exporting a FileMaker .fmp12 file (File B) which is stored on a container field on startup and then using the OpenURL to call File B to perform a script which updates a field in File A, e.g.:

I've spent the last couple of days trying to debug this and have just realised that the fields were not being set in File A. If I closed all the files and opened File A from the list of files on the devices tab it then works, but not when I open File A for the first time since installing it.

However if I install File A by opening another hosted database which has File A in a container field and use the Export Field Contents to install File A on the device and then open it it also works. So in my testing if you install File A via a HTTP URL (e.g. http://server.com/Clients.fmp12) and click the "Open in FileMaker Go" link that's when you experience the issue.
                • 5. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                  nickorr

databuzz,

I finally managed to conjure up a sample file which shows the issue.  Are you able to do something similar from your perspective?  It would be good to have two independent ways to produce this.

Cheers,

Nick

• 6. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                    TSGal

databuzz and Nicholas Orr::

Thank you for your posts.

I have received a file from Nicholas Orr that demonstrates the problem.  The script will work the first time if the file is copied to the iOS device using iTunes.  However, if the file is opened from within Dropbox or Mail, then the update will NOT occur.  This would be the same when you use "Open in FileMaker Go" as a copy of the file is downloaded to the iOS directory, but it appears the link to the file is not fully recognized.

I have forwarded the file from Nicholas Orr to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                      TSGal

databuzz and Nicholas Orr:

Our Testing department was able to reproduce the issue.  They have sent along the file and findings to Development for review.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                        philmodjunk

Hmmm, I've been reading this one through several times now and I'm just not quite sure how to write this one up for the Known Bugs List. If I have this correctly summed up, the following factors produce this problem?

A file (file b), with external data source references to a second file (FIle A) fails to correct access the file when:

The file (file b) is copied to the iOS device without using iTunes.

If I read this right, exporting from the container field, or using "Open with FM GO" in Drop Box are two variations of ways that copy file B into FM GO without using iTunes....

• 9. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Your assumptions are correct.  If you select a file via DropBox, Mail, or via URL, and select the option to "Open in FileMaker Go", then any reference to the file later in that session will fail.  Using iTunes, the problem doesn't exist.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                            philmodjunk

"later in that session".... Does that mean if you close and re-open the file, it then works?

• 11. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                              philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 12. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                                nickorr

Re: "later in that session".

PhilModJunk,

You actually end up with two items in the "Recent Items" list in FileMaker.  They both appear exactly the same, and point to the same file, but one will fail and one will work.  Re-opening the file from the "Device" tab in Go also works.  So you can close and re-open via the broken listing ( which is the most recent ) in recent files and it remains broken.

Cheers,

Nick

• 13. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Yes.  If you close the file, the downloaded copy is safely on the iOS device, so when you open the copied file on the iOS device, it then works as expected.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: fmp url seems to break file references on Go
                                    TSGal

All:

I have been reviewing old posts, and as I review the original report from Testing/Development, it APPEARS this is fixed in FileMaker Go 13.0v4.  Although the report is not marked as being fixed, the notes from Testers indicate they are no longer able to replicate the issue in the latest release.  Can any of you verify?

I apologize for not keeping you notified in a timely manner.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next