Summary

FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK

Description of the issue

Title says it all. FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK 

• 1. Re: FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK
          TSGal

jrpmedia:

Thank you for your post.

I must be dense, but the title doesn't say it all to me.  I asked my boss for help, but he was just as confused.

IWS - Integrated Web Services?  Could you mean IWP for Instant Web Publishing?

OK?

Any additional information would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK
            jrpmedia

Thank TSGal,

My fault, programmers dyslexia...

I do mean IWP for Instant Web Publishing, sorry, perhaps my internet searches will be more productive now too!

I have installed both FMPro 9, and FMPro Server into my 10.4.11 Mac and both of them crash on trying to start any kind of IWP.

FileMaker Pro 8 on the same Mac has no problems.

I have narrowed it down to this Mac on 10.4.11 as FMPro 9 is fine on my 10.5 Macs.

Tjough this mac has two intenet cards in it, like I say FMPro 8 has no issues.

Thnaks again...

• 3. Re: FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK
              TSGal

jrpmedia:

Thanks for the clarification on IWP.

I have FileMaker Pro 8.5, 9.0 and 10 on my Mac, even though I'm using OS X 10.5.6.  I frequently launch these programs, and I do get the message that IWP cannot be used due to port conflict.  Any attempt to rectify this doesn't help.  When I need to test IWP on this machine, I have to reboot the machine and launch that specific version of FileMaker Pro.  I don't think this is the problem, but I thought I would mention it since you said FileMaker Pro 8 doesn't have a problem on the same machine.

A couple members from this forum earlier today were having problems with IWP and discovered they could launch IWP from the root, but not from the user account.  Although I haven't found the solution, I did suggest that they set the "Sharing and Permissions" for the FileMaker folder to "Read & Write" for "everyone".  I'm waiting to hear back.

One user removed the preferences file (com.filemaker.pro.plist or com.filemaker.filemakerpro.plist, depending on version) and then when FileMaker launched again, it rebuilt a new preferences file and IWP began working.  I also suggested removing the "FileMaker Preferences" folder.

Try creating a new user account.  Create a new database file and then try to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  Does this work?

I have access to a Tiger (10.4.x) machine, and I was able to start IWP without a problem. 

Obviously, I don't have a reason why this doesn't work.  I need you to try several things to help narrow down the possibilities.  Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMP v9.0.3 OSX 10.4.11 IWS crashes in OK
                jrpmedia

I serach for the correct term now IWP and have a solution based on others experiences.

I deleted all my FileMaker installations (FM 6, FM 8, FM 9), all the com.filemaker files, all the preferences, etc.

I reinstalled FM 9.0.3 (not FM 9.0 plus updaters to 9.0.3!) and FM 9 works fine now; I can even get the languages option in IWP, something that I did not get before with the problem.

I will now try and Reinstall FM 9 Server (after having it for 18 months and it never working!)

I will also reinstal FM 6 & * to see if everything works happily together.

I think the logic is that a preference file was damaged (or some other FM system file).