FMP10 crashing when loading multiple files, some features not working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v3

Operating system version

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

Description of the issue

Hi - we're new to this forum (but not to FMP), and are having serious problems with FileMaker Pro 10 on a Windows Vista PC.

It's been working fine since upgrading to version 10 (years ago?), but in the last few days has become almost unusable. If we attempt to open more than one database the program crashes (it doesn't matter which files, or in which order) UPDATE: Today, nothing happens - the file doesn't open, but it doesn't crash). Scripts fail (claiming to be cancelled when they're not). File > Export Records... does nothing (but no errors). We haven't changed anything recently, apart from the usual automatic Windows updates. Opening the same file on a different PC with Windows 7 works fine. A full scan for malware finds nothing.

Any ideas, please?

Steps to reproduce the problem

1a. Open a database
      1b. Attempt to open another one

2. Run a script

3. File > Export Records...

Expected result

1. Open second file
      2. Complete script
      3. Export records

Actual result

1. FMP crashes, or nothing happens
      2. Script stops
      3. Nothing happens

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

2. "SCRIPTNAME has been cancelled" (no, it hasn't)

Configuration information

FMP 10.0v3, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

Workaround

Use a different PC!

• 1. Re: FMP10 crashing when loading multiple files, some features not working
          TSGal

HCL:

Thank you for your post.

Since the file has shown issues in the last few days, the file may have become damaged.  However, in the slight possibility the FileMaker Pro 10 application has become damaged, uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 10.  If after reinstallation the file is still inaccessible, then run a Recover on the file.  Although Recover is not a "cure-all", it will create a new file that should be able to be accessed by FileMaker Pro.  Once the recovered file is open, open your last good backup file and compare the data between the two files.  From the backup, import the data from the recovered file, and then continue using the backup file.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP10 crashing when loading multiple files, some features not working
            HCL

Hi - thanks for your reply.

Since I posted the file is showing even more problems. Initially none of the menu options worked, then caused a crash, and now it won't open at all - FMP crashes straight after entering the password. I've tried the recover feature with various options, but none of them helped. I've also tried opening the latest file on a different PC (where it's still OK), saving a compacted copy, and opening this, but that doesn't work either. I'll try re-installing FMP as the next step.

Presumably there won't be a problem using the same product key again (on the same PC)? And which files will I need to restore from backups (user dictionaries and so on)?

Regards,

Dave.

• 3. Re: FMP10 crashing when loading multiple files, some features not working
              TSGal

HCL:

If the file opens on the second machine, then we know the file is probably good.  On your original machine, either FileMaker Pro or the OS is damaged. Uninstall FileMaker Pro.  Move any database files you may have had in the FileMaker folder to the Desktop, and then delete the FileMaker folder.  Then, reinstall FileMaker Pro, as this will write a new folder with all the necessary files.

Using the same product key is fine, since that is what was used to install on this machine in the first place.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP10 crashing when loading multiple files, some features not working
                philmodjunk

I still maintain an FMP 10 DB at work. On XP machines, at least, I've had to periodically re-install FileMaker 10 after several months of very active use of the database on a given machine. Typical symptoms of trouble have been FileMaker or Windows failing to correctly open windows. First the windows fail to open or in rare occassions fail to fully "draw" the window. This can even show as a drop down menu that won't drop down or a Web browser tab that no longer opens. The problems become more frequent and severe over time--ultimately leading to crashes.

We've just about finished upgrading all to W7 and I've yet to need to do this on them, but only time will tell...

I also have not seen this happen with newer versions of FileMaker.