5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 9:22 PM by ndoan

FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing

jmfeeney

Summary

FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing

Description of the issue

FileMaker Products Tested: FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 10 RuntimeOperating Systems Tested: Windows XP SP2Detailed Issue Description:When I create a runtime solution with FMP10A, PDF printing is removed. The "Save As PDF" button actually disappears from the Status Toolbar, rather than simply turning grey. The "PDF..." menu item also disappears, even in custom menus. This issue does not occur when the same database is opened with FMP10A instead of the runtime application, even with limited privilege sets and custom menus in place. Remarkably it is possible to create a new custom menu item with "no command" attached and then assign it to the "Save As PDF" script step. So the issue seems to be only with the default menu command and the toolbar button in runtime, since the script step is unaffected. (Although it's not a workaround I want to employ for such a glaring bug.)

• 1. Re: FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing
          BruceR

This is not a bug.

It is a known and documented limitaton of runtimes.

Run times don't do networking, they don't do IWP, they don't do PDF.

• 2. Re: FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing
            huffy1
               I just finished a complete solution in FPA v9.03 that depended on the pdf export only to find the same thing. I'm a relative rookie to the custom menu thing, could you explain again how to do the work around. Don't want to sound too aggravated, but you would think Filemaker would have let us known in advance if there were runtime issues.  Thanks for any help you can offer.
            • 3. Re: FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing
              TSGal

huffy1:

Thank you for your post.

Under the Help home page, select, Using FileMaker Pro Advanced -> Using FileMaker Pro Advanced tools -> About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced).  In the first "Note" section, it says "Runtime applicationscannot be shared over a network and do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files."

Also, in the "FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced Development Guide" that comes with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (and also available at http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmpa10_development.pdf), Appendix A states, "Runtime applications do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files."

Since you are using the FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, this information is also available in Appendix A (or online at http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmpa9_development.pdf), where it also states "Runtime applications do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files."

The workaround, if you are running on Mac OS X, is to go to the print dialog box and select PDF.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing
                philmodjunk
                   With windows, you can do something similar by using a PDF generator type of utility to "print" your report in PDF format.
                • 5. Re: FMP10 Runtime disables PDF printing
                  ndoan
                     I'm trying to implement the print to pdf workaround, and I'm finding that the print to pdf option does not work for me at all when I'm trying to do it in Filemaker.  Works just fine when I'm printing to pdf from any other application.  Any ideas on what's going on?  Also, are there any free apps I can download to allow print to pfd in windows os?