Thank you for your post.
I have a POP account that goes through a SMTP mail server, and my message header looks fine.
I'm using combination fields and text in my To:, CC:, Subject, Body, etc. Any additional information you can provide me would be useful.
Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment. I would like to duplicate your scenario so that I can report it to the proper people.
I'm not sure it should make any difference but I tested this using a copy of "FM Starting Point" available at link below. Tried using two different SMTP setups, my Mac.com account and my nwlink.com account.
In the Contacts section there is a send email tab. You must set up SMTP preferences in the Preferences layout.
I will have to try another file for further testing.
Tested again in another file. Tested on two computers, both MacOS 10.5.6.
Same results - always starts with ?UTG etc
1. iMac 24inch 2.16 GHz 2GB RAM
2. New Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM
Oops, that was starts with ?UTF
Confirmation of this problem from another person on technet:
I can confirm what you are seeing.
Running on 10.5.6.
My subject was “Test” and the email appeared to come through fine.
However, the source contained:
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:10:44 +0900
From: =?UTF-8?B?RGF2aWQgSGVhZAAA?= <email@example.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Thanks for the additional information, and thanks for include David Head's posting, as he is a frequent contributor to this forum.
I have forwarded this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can confirm.
You may want to let others know at TechNet that this is now logged. If you find other problems reported there which haven't been reported here, please feel free to either copy and paste them, or ask others to post them here so I can ensure they get to the appropriate people.
I am seeing the same problem and more on Windows XP professional. The additional problems I see, is that it is placing and extra quote before the @ symbol in my e-mail address. See below:
I am finding that some of the recipients get the e-mail and others do not. I wonder if the irregular headers are making spam filters block the e-mails from going out?
This is still a bug in FMPA 11:
FileMaker is creating an invalid SMTP message-ID without an "id-right" (which is typically going to be a domain associated with the creator (eg, "domain.com") ).
RFC 5322 §3.6.4 does not allow for the "id-right" (ie, that portion to the right of the "@" character) to be optional, nor of length zero. (RFC 5322 §3.6.4 recommends that an appropriate domain be used as the id-right.)
I suspect that some confusion comes from the behavior that some receiving e-mail servers being configured to overlook or even repair such an invalid message-ID's, but RFC 5322 clearly demands an id-right which FileMaker is not supplying.
This is a trivial bug to fix. The only thing that needs to change is adding a domain (eg, "filemaker.com") to the right side of the "@" symbol for the message ID to conform to RFC 5322 §3.6.4:
'As with addr-spec, a liberal syntax is given for the right-
hand side of the "@" in a msg-id. However, later in this section,
the use of a domain for the right-hand side of the "@" is
Notice that the right-hand side of the "@" (ie, "id-right") is NOT optional:
'msg-id = [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]'
Source URL: RFC 5322 § 3.6.4
While I am definitely not recommending such, the domain can even be constant for the entire FM product line (just not empty).
I still have a project that is dead in the water until this bug is fixed (and has no possible budget for a plugin).
This was an advertised feature of FM and, morally, Filemaker should fix it now.
I realized recently that there is a much more simple fix that FileMaker can make literally is seconds:Don't create any message ID at allWhile the bug should be fixed with correct message ID creation, leaving out the message ID entirely will work. It's just not OK to put in half of the message ID.