FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Vista

Description of the issue

Sessions are being timed out at about 2-5 minutes on the IWP. Settings are set for 60 minutes. Have tried different settings of 20, 45, 59, etc. but nothing works. Also have tried reinstalling with no success.

Need help immediately. I have real estate agents in the field that rely on data they enter but continually lose it because of this quick timeout.

• 1. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
          TSGal

LGRE11:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I have set the "Disconnect inactive accounts" to 30 minutes, and I'm able to access the file after 25 minutes.  I have also tested with 15 minutes.  I did attempt 45 minutes, but I forgot about the time and let the time lapse (120 minutes).

Do you just have the one file being accessed?  If so, can you create a new file, make it accessible through Instant Web Publishing and see if it has the same problem?  Do you have access to another machine?  If so, can you try it there?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
            user16545

I have the same problem. when more than 1 IWP users : automatic session timeout after 15 minutes. FMSA 11.0.3.309 setting is 45 minutes.
            Can this be caused by settings in customer networks?

• 3. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
              TSGal

Han Roest:

Thank you for your post.

Open the file with FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...  In the Instant Web Publishing window, click "Specify..." next to Advanced Options..., and at the bottom under Session management:, change "Disconnect inactive accounts" from the default of 15 minutes to the desired time (45 minutes).

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                user16545

Hi,

In our installation FMP 11 - WPI was turned off, and FMSA 11 Web Publishing was on.

I closed the file in FMSA11 and opened it with FMP 11.
                I turned on FMP 11- WPI and noticed that the (default?) setting was indeed 15 minutes.
                I changed that setting to 45 minutes, equal to the timeout setting of FMSA 11.

Then turned off FMP 11 - WPI again, started FMSA 11 with WPI activated.
                Started FMP 11 without WPI. Lets hope this will solve the problem.

Kind regards

• 5. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                  user16545

Hi FM helpdesk,

unfortunately this was not the solution.

IWP session time-out settings in both FMPA 11 and FMSA - are now 45 minutes.
                  Apparently we are not the only FM developers who reported this strange problem.
                  Please help us solve this issue.

• 6. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                    TSGal

Han Roest:

First, try hosting with FileMaker Pro Advanced.  Connect to the file and see if after 30 minutes you can make changes.  If this works, then we know the file is fine and we can focus on FileMaker Server.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                      user16545

Hi FM Helpdesk,

I stopped the FMSA 11 Service, I stopped the FMPA 11 Process tree.
                      Restarted FMPA 11, turned on IWP in FMPA 11, over http://192.168.1.xx:591/ URL.

Checked the Disconnect inactive accounts setting in the Advanced Options: that is 45 minutes. 

Connected to the file and now wait for more than 15 minutes to see if I still can make changes.

• 8. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                        user16545

Hi FM Helpdesk,

Could still make changes after 25 minites.
                        So this must be caused by FMSA 11.
                        What would be the next step in this analysis?

Thanks

• 9. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                          user16545

Always the same ....
                          Filemaker please check how often threads end without answers .....

What would be the next step ?

• 10. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                            TSGal

Han Roest:

Sorry for the late reply.  I was out of the office most of last week.

I have FileMaker Server 11 installed on Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers (and a few Mac servers).  I am trying to locate a Windows Vista machine to install FileMaker Server 11 and test.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                              TSGal

Han Roest:

I have sent all the information to our Testing department, since they have access to Vista servers.

If you set the timeout for less than 15 minutes, does it timeout as expected?  That is, if you set the timout for 5 minutes, does Instant Web Publishing timeout properly at 5 minutes?

What browser and browser version are you using?

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                                user16545

Hi TSGal,

The problem occurs with Internet Explorer 9.0.8112 Update Versions 9.0.6 but also with older IE versions like IE 7 that our customers use.
                                I tested with Firefox 11.0, same problem: after 15 minutes: log-off.
                                I set the session timeout in FMSA 11 Admin Console to 3 minutes and saved the setting.
                                Was logged-off indeed after 3 minutes.

• 13. Re: FMP11 IWP Session Timeout Issue
                                  TSGal

Han Roest:

Sorry for the late reply.

What version of Java do you have installed?  There has been a report of some odd behavior with FileMaker Server 12 under Windows with Java 1.6.0.31, but not with FileMaker Server 11.  If you have Java 1.6.0.31 installed, try reverting to a previous verion (1.6.0.29).

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.