FMP11 privileges block to admin account

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11v3

Operating system version

10.6.7 Server (Mac Mini)

Description of the issue

When I try to log in as an admin user, I get the error message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action." this action was opening the file.

Another user account with limited privileges opens the file with no problem, with appropriate rights. I can open other files on the same server and use admin access.

I uploaded a database to the server. I was working on it, then unplugged my laptop to work elsewhere. Connection to server was disrupted. This problem happened after that.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The file I had uploaded earlier works fine on the desktop (i.e. not on the server). Duplicating the file in the finder, renaming it and uploading again gave me the same problem. Creating a new [full access] user with a different name, then uploading the file, gave the same error for both full access accounts. Creating a new DB file (1 table, 2 fields, 2 records), uploading, gave me no problem with the admin account and password.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action."

Configuration information

Mac Mini Server with FMP the only duty.

• 1. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
          philmodjunk

That disconnect while working with the file (if you were making design changes), may have corrupted the file.

Try recovering it to see if the recover reports any problems and to see if the recovered copy works when the original fails.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
            Infectiologue

Thanks, Phil.

I did a recover process and it found no errors. I didn't expect it would since the original sequence was:

1. file loaded from desktop.

2. error on access with admin account only.

3. delete the server copy and load back the original (which worked properly when tried again on the desktop).

4. error on access with admin account on the server copy. 

I tried renaming the file and loading a renamed copy, or adding another admin account. Still can't do admin activity on this file on the server, though I can with other files on the same server. The file looks fine from less-than-full-access accounts, but I can't add users, etc.

Any other ideas?

Mark / Infectiologue

• 3. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
              philmodjunk

Doesn't sound like your account is really a full access account. That would be consistent with the error messages you are getting anyway.

Hmmm, can you walk me through, step by step what you are doing just before you get this message?

"Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action." is a generic message that tells you your access privileges wouldn't allow something else to happen after getting the original file to open. A script, for example, set to run when the file opens could trigger this message if it tries to access something that the current privilege set does not allow.

• 4. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                Infectiologue

Describing the current state:

Open FMP11.

Browse to the Lines.fp7 file on the server.

Put admin and pw in. 

I get the access priv message mentioned. Note that all I've tried to do at this point is open the remote file from FMP11 (in this case, FMP11 advanced), version 11v3. 

put username and pw in (an account with less inclusive privileges).

In, works fine, looks fine. Obviously, I don't have full access because it is a limited account. for example, I cannot manage the database, but I can edit the layout. 

Log out. 

try the other full access user name and password. Same result as admin. Note that if I type giberish in the password field, it gives a different message, that the account is not recognized. 

If I try to open the copy of the file that was uploaded to the server (but that is still on my desktop, not remote), no problems at all. 

If I try to open the file remotely through IWP, I get the same results. 

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                  Infectiologue

One more interesting twist:

If I open the file on from my desktop and turn on Filemaker network for the file, I can still access with full admin privilege set. 

This second machine still has the same results from the server (using FMP-A 10.0v3

• 6. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                    philmodjunk

WHen you get that message, does the file actually open?

(The message you get is different if the password simply doesn't allow you to open the file.)

Do you have a script that runs when the file opens?

Here's a scenario that fits what you describe. Just because it fits the observed behavior, doesn't make it correct of course, but maybe it will give you an idea.

A script in the file is set to run when the file opens. In one way or another, it accesses a second file. This file has the same account name and password as yours set up in it, but it is not a full access privilege set on this secondary file. When you open the file remotely on the server, the first file opens, the script runs, but hits an access privilege violation via that secondary file.

When you open the file locally, the same external data source reference that opens the secondary file, opens a different copy. Some difference in that file (maybe that file has a full access account or it's defaulted to a different layout that isn't restricted, or...)

• 7. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                      Infectiologue

PhilModJunk,

Thanks for sticking with me on this. No script on open, and no external references. I don't know if the file opens, although it seems the Admin user name is recongized (because I don't get a message that the file is unrecognized). The other accounts don't have any special security settings beyond what the [full access] accounts have. For them, the file opens. 

I have no proprietary info in this database. Would you like to try it on another server?

• 8. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                        philmodjunk

You can upload it to a file share site and send the password to me via a private message ( or post it here if you don't care if others know it). I can try opening it to see what happens and even try running a recover on it. (Since I'm a windows user, I may get a different result from the windows version and that could be informative should it happen.)

• 9. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                          JustinPaikos

Dont know if your still having this problem but I just had the exact same issue happed to me. It turned out to be another database on the network with the same user name had different "Full Access" settings under "Extended Privileges". Thats all.

• 10. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                            RoshanJain

Hello.  I'm having a similar problem.  When I access my Filemaker Pro 11 database file directly using my admin login and password, I have full access.  However, when I open the *same* file through FileMaker Server 11 using the *same* admin login and password, I no longer have access to modify the document in any way.  I have also tried creating a new full-access login with a completely different name and password, but this has not solved the problem either.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: FMP11 privileges block to admin account
                              philmodjunk

I suggest starting a new thread. This one is so old that it no longer automatically appears in Recent Items when a new comment is posted.

"I no longer have access to modify the document in any way."

Sounds like you are encoutering much more sever restricitons. Do you get any messages popping up such as "This file is not modifiable"? that would be typical of user account write access not being permitted for the folder in which the file is located. But this should not be the case if FileMaker Server was correctly installed and you correctly uploaded your file to FileMaker server.