FMP11 unexplained crashes for a single user

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

At a client with 10 users, running FMS11.0v4 and FMP11.0v4, all on OS X 10.6.8, one single user started reporting recurrent FileMaker crashes in December 2011.
      Intervals between crashes vary from a couple of times in a day to once or twice a week.
      We have not been able to identify any specific action - according to reports, the user hasn't even always been working actively in FileMaker Pro when the crash has occurred.
      Neither has there been any consistency in other applications being open when crashes occur.

All FileMaker databases seem to be "clean" - they pass recover, consistency check, etc.
      However, the only thing that's "different" about the user having the crashes is that she is basically the only user of one of the FileMaker databases at this company. However, this database has not always been the active file/front most window when crashes occur.
      Not 100% sure if always has been open (but it tends to be open all the time).

No plugins are being used, nor any other "funny stuff" - it's pretty standard FileMaker solution from a technical point of view.

No other problems with other applications on the computer have been reported - indeed, when the issue was first reported, the user's workstation was re-installed from scratch. This seemed to help at first, but crashes then started again, so that might have been an illusion.
      I have various screen shots, crash logs and FileMaker Server logs that I would be happy to send backchannel.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use FileMaker.

Expected result

No crashes.

Actual result

Crashes.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro quit unexpectedly.
      Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

Configuration information

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549), FMP 11.0v4.

Workaround

N/A

• 1. Re: FMP11 unexplained crashes for a single user
          philmodjunk

I'd make that one file she uses that others don't my prime suspect here.

If possible try switching her to a different computer and see if she still gets crashes and the person she switched with does not. If that's the case, then there could be issues with that file even though it recovers cleanly. (Recover doesn't catch everything.) You might try replacing that file with a recovered copy as a test even if the recover reports no problems found.

If her problems go away and the other users starts experiencing crashes, then it would seem the issue lies with the computer or it's install of FileMaker instead of the database file.