10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 3:43 PM by TSGal

FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES

rwu2359

Summary

FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES

Description of the issue

FMP11A on Windows XP The help clearly states that you can drag off any item from the toolbar to the dialogue. EXCEPT the quick find DOES NOT MOVE. Nor can you right click to delete. I thought I was the developer who could decide what my customer can and can not see. Not you.

• 1. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
          mrvodka

rwu2359 wrote:

FMP11A on Windows XP

I thought I was the developer who could decide what my customer can and can not see. Not you.

Wrong. We wish right? The toolbar itself is a joke when it comes to customization. I dont know if you are aware but the customization is NOT controlled by the developer ( minus and control via custom menus or privileges ).  The customization feature is for end users.

• 2. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
            Steve Wright

There is a lack of consistency here... yet another difference between platforms.

On MAC OSX, you CAN remove the quick search, on Windows you can't

The other one I dislike is the fact than on Mac you can have a 'text only' or 'icon only' toolbar, great for reducing wasted screen real-estate... but on windows you cannot.

• 3. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
              Steve Wright

Ok I take that back...

you CAN remove the quick search on windows, it just seems they messed it up a little

Right click the toolbar and choose customise.

Then instead of right clicking on the quick search, right click at the top edge of the toolbar above quicksearch

It should highlight and allow you to delete it.

But... now I have removed it, I cannot seem to add it back ???

• 4. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                TSGal

SWS:

Thank you for your post.

I was unaware of the non-removal of Quick Find in the Status Toolbar, and I don't see any report of this logged.  I have forwarded that information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) for review.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                  rwu2359

I have got quite few people and friends to buy the product as a stand alone because I have been so enthusiastic etc etc.

So they ask me to come and set things up. simple files with lots of power - just what FM is good at. 

Most people will not even try to go to the layout mode, or customise toolbar, so I do not have to worry about turing off fields for quicksearch etc etc, and by the time they get to play with those kind of features than that would be helpful.

For the record. Does anyone at FM want to explain this ludicrous piece of logic???

• 6. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                    rwu2359

You are right....

Right click at about 3 pixels below the window title bar - in a place nowhere near the quicksearch bar and you can delete it.

I take it back. 

Oh no, you are also right it is not possible to put it back.

Minus 20 points again.

• 7. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                      rwu2359

Minus 40 points

You can restore the quickfind by resetting the toolbar on the toolbars tab

BUT

yes, you lose all the previous modifications you made.

• 8. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                        rwu2359

Final bit of Windows stuff

On the MAC you can drag the records/ page slider around

You CAN'T on Windows, but you can drag other icons to the left of it, which is technically the same thing through a slower means.

Still a mess though.

• 9. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                          rwu2359

Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the water.

who messed up the MAC toolbar too????

FMPA. Here is how I WANT to work.

Left, Records bit. Lovely notebook and green chart.

NEXT Manage, Debugger, Data Viewer. A seperator, then some other stuff.

Grab the right hand edge of the window and make it narrower. Lovely lovely, the icons which end up with no space move off the right hand edge onto a little choice thing of their own.

Make the window narrower till you get to my three icons I WANT first. What happens?? THEY get bumped off so that the new, delete and find icons get to stay.

EXCUSE ME.

I decided how I want to work, why have you arbitrarily changed YOUR methodology at this point????

We work really hard as programmers to be consistent with data and with interfaces. What is the problem in California???

• 10. Re: FMP11A Windows Toolbar - SHAMBLES
                            TSGal

rwu2359:

Thank you for the updated information.  To confirm what you found, I was able to remove the Quick Find (not easy to select it), and I'm unable to place it back.  The same goes for the record navigation.  I have reported this issue to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments.

I can confirm that both Quick Find and record navigation buttons cannot be selected and moved on the Status Toolbar.  Moving other buttons in front of or after will move the two buttons.  I have also reported this issue to Development and Testing for review.

The problem on the Mac is not limited to 11, as it also occurs on 10.  From my limited testing, it appears the default buttons on the Status Toolbar takes precedence on what is displayed.  That is, the non-default buttons are moved off the Status Toolbar first.  This does not occur on Windows.  I have also reported this issue to Development and Testing for review.

As information becomes available, I will let you all know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.