FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 8

Description of the issue

New version of FMP12 Advanced , purchased from Windows Store, downloaded latest version of FMP12 when I installed it last night, Was editing a script in it this morning on a new Windows 8 desktop, received message in Windows that it had stopped working and it shut down.

Steps to reproduce the problem

No idea, will try using it again later today

Expected result

Unknown

Actual result

To be determined

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Did not note "Exact text " of error message but it was something like : program has stopped working or responding and then it shut down and the screen cleared

• 1. Re: FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8
          jfeeney123321

OK, duplicated problem and noted the following info omitted from my original report.

1. I had a Layout open in LAYOUT  mode

2. Opened Manage SCRIPTS and was editing a script.

3. In Edit script I added a line, then went to delete the line and the following message apperard:

"FileMaker Pro Advanced has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program & notify you if a solution is available"

Then the program closed

• 2. Re: FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8
            philmodjunk

Does this happen everytime you do these same exact steps?

OR just some of the time?

If some of the time, how frequently?

If you create a brand new file, do you get the same behavior in the new file?

Please note that a corrupted file can cause crashing and crashes can corrupt files. You may want to run a recover on the file to see if the recover process reports/fixes any issues.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 3. Re: FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8
              jfeeney123321

Good question Phil, thanks for your responce

It happens evertime I delete a particular script in the edit box.

After duplicating the crash in Windows 8 I went to my laptop which has an entirly different copy of FMP 12 Advanced running on Windows 7 and I created a different but similar sciario and it did NOT crash. But when I tried it again with the exact same conditions ( the exact same script) it did happen each time. This leads me to believe it has nothing to do w/ Windows 8 but something to do with that particular script. . .. again I was not deleting the script, just deleting it from withing that script in Script Edit Mode.

I intend to keep it in mind but move on as it is an unlikely occurance.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jack

• 4. Re: FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8
                philmodjunk

More likely  a problem with that particular file since deleting a script has nothing much to do with the content of that script.

I recommend running a recover on that file.

• 5. Re: FMP12 Advanced, crashed on Windows 8
                  tomasd

You can look in Windows Event Viewer, if there is some information about crash. If you can reproduce the issue, try Windows debugging tools. It is a more advanced tool: http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/5608-how-install-configure-debugging-tools.html