4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 1:40 PM by mrbill

FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.

mrbill

Summary

FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12- Latest Update

Operating system version

Latest Lion

Description of the issue

Hello- FMP 12 is giving me an erroneous error message and crashes when importing from Bento

Software versions and background:

Freshly downloaded FMPro 12 with softwre update check... Confirmed lastest version.

Bento 4.0.7- Software update confirmed latest.

Running Latest most up to date version of Lion.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Steps to reproduce:

- Open FMP12

- At opening home screen

- Select 'Convert an existing file...' link

- In Open File Dialog box, Change default from 'Excel Workbooks (.xlsx) to 'Bento Data Source'

- NOTE: Navigating to Library folder IS NOT POSSIBLE IN LION! So I just select my user directory and hope Bento can get there. - NOTE: I isolated the BentoDB file to the desktop, selected it, and am still unable to open without crash.

- Click OK.

- Error Summary: Bento file is too recent (later version?). And then Filemaker must be force quit.

Expected result

Import my Bento Database.

Actual result

Crash and Odd Error Message

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

- See Screen Snapshot

Workaround

Just found a workaround-

Steps to work around:
      - Expose the user library from within the terminal
      - Copy the bento.bentodb file to the desktop top (DO NOT MOVE ORIGINAL!!!)
      - Go to FMP12 home screen, click Convert
      - In the convert dialog box, navigate to desktop
      - From file type drop down, select 'all file types' (bentobd file will still be greyed out)
      - Then select Bento from file type pull down and it seems to work.

Screen_Shot_2012-05-21_at_3.22.56_PM.png

• 1. Re: FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.
          TSGal

mrbill:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 12, when you select Import -> Bento Data Source..., FileMaker Pro 12 sends a message to Mac OS X to launch the Bento application.  As Bento launches, it reads the information from the bento.bentodb file at:

[User Account] -> Library -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb

The Bento application that was launched will then try to open the file.

The error message is self explanatory.  Therefore, you probably have more than one copy of the Bento application on your machine.  That is, when FileMaker Pro sent the message to Mac OS X to launch the Bento application, it found an earlier version (perhaps Bento 3) before it found your Bento 4.0.7, launched it, and could not open the file because it was a later version.  Therefore, go through your hard disk and remove all Bento applications that are not the current version.  Then, when you select "Import -> Bento Data Source...", only Bento 4.0.7 will lauunch.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.
            mrbill

Hello- Nope, I don't have another copy of Bento. Sorry about that :(

But the steps you suggest above work fine with importing (works every time), but if the steps I originally outlined are used (from opening screen), the problem is reproduceable.

The only other explanation is that FMP12 is finding an old bento copy somewhere in a Time Machine backup on my external backup disk. Which is very possible since Time Machine doesn't compress. I'll dig through, but it would be very old. If this is the case, FM will run into this problem quite a bit which should be considered a bug.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.
              TSGal

mrbill:

I'm still unable to replicate the issue.  I can choose either Open -> Bento Data Source or Import Records -> Bento Data Source...

In both instances, FileMaker Pro launches the first Bento application it finds and loads the database file.  If a version of Bento prior to Bento 4 is launched first with a Bento 4 database file, then you will get the message that the file was created with a later version.

In Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion), Apple has hidden the user's Library folder.  There are two ways to get to the user's Library folder:

1. From the Finder, pull down the Go menu and select "Home".  Then, pull down the Go menu again and select "Go to Folder...".  When prompted for a folder name, enter "Library".

2. From the Finder, pull down the Go menu, hold down the option key, and "Library" will then appear.  Select "Library".

See if you placed an older copy of Bento in a user account rather than the Applications folder.

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP12 Bento Import Creates Nonsensical Error and Crashes- 100% Reproducible.
                mrbill

Hey TSGal- Thanks for the follow-up.

Just as a reminder, users can not navigate throught the user library folder by default in Lion. Users have to 'unhide' it which most users probably won't/can't do. I only bring this up because navigating through a hidden folder should be considered a poweruser operation at best.

That being said, I did this, but still ran into the problem. Ends up, Filemaker is scanning all my drives and trying to latch on to an old time machine backup. If I unplug my time machine drive, I don't get the error. 100% reproduceable. 

Steps to reproduce:

- Backup an OLD version of bento via time machine

- Try to import a bento DB into filemaker - throws an error

- Unlplug the time machine drive, repeat steps above... no error.

Hope this helps.