Appears to work in Windows.
I did the following test:
I copied and pasted the sample data from your post to MS Word. I checked for an "end of paragraph" after the end of record 18 and found it missing (probably to get data to be single spaced in the forum post). I removed the line break and put in the return. Then saved the file as plain text.
When I imported the data using the csv option into a new table, the data parsed correctly into individual fields.
Unless I somehow altered the data moving it in and out of word, this would appear to be a Mac only issue.
As I mentioned, my workaround is to import using FMP11 then import from FMP11 to FMP12. That is not the issue.
The issue remains that there is bug in FMP12 that was not present in FMP11. It's up to FMP developers to fix and issue a patch for whatever platform the code is found to be in error in.
Your machinations resulting in success which you attribute to be a difference between FMP in Windows and Mac I would contend is too confounding to support that conclusion. You may be ultimately correct, but it will need to await developers looking at the actual FMP code.
I simply used your test data and imported into FileMaker 12 successfully. This was an attempt to gather more information about your issue by recreating your original test data as accurately as possible in order to compare results on a windows installation to to what you have reported for mac. Platform specific bugs do occur.
If you would care to share the actual file, I would be happy to import it into fmp 12 as a test.
I would be happy to send both the 1100+ file and the 2 record file to you as an attachment. So, how does one go about that? This forum does not offer attachments other than images.
You can upload your files to a file sharing site such as drop box and then you can post the download link there. If you do not want everyone who accesses this thread to have access to such files, you can click my forum 'avatar' the Caulkins Consulting folder and send me a private message.
For those wanting test the file failing on import, here is the dropbox link. This file contains 100 records, record 18 and 19 together have the described problems.
Unfortunately, that opens the file contents in the browser instead of downloading it.
Using FMP12 on windows XP, the data imported correctly.
A quick and rather cursory check of the actual text in MS Word did not show any unusual formatting either.
As a final test, if you have not done so already, you might create a new file and try importing this data using the "new table" option to see if you get any differences in your results. This would rule out the tiny possibility that there is an issue with your file.