FMP12v3 plugin problems

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

With the v3 update to FMP12, there is a new folder where plugins get installed. FMP12 is still looking/loading plugins installed in the previous local user folder. If I have a plugin get installed during startup of a solution, it now puts it in the new folder.

The problem is that with the plugins loaded in both the old and new user folders, FMP12 immediately crashes upon launching the app.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Place the same plugin in both folders and launch FMP12.0v3. It will crash.

Expected result

FMP12.0v3 will NOT look/load plugins stored in the previous local user folder. It will only load from the new user folder.

Actual result

It loads plugins from both locations and crashes when plugins are located in both places.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Mac OS application crash dialog.

Workaround

Do not load plugins in both locations. This is NOT a feasible workaround in a business environment though.

• 2. Re: FMP12v3 plugin problems

dldestwolinska:

Thank you for the post.

So far I have not been able to reproduce with only a single plugin installed in both locations. If you pull all the plugins and put the two copies back in both locations one plugin at a time, does a particular plugin or group of plugins trigger the crash? The goal is to determine which specific plugins trigger this behavior. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMP12v3 plugin problems
            BowdenData

Hi TSFalcon,

I have tested again by adding plugins one by one to both locations (see below) and for whatever reason, am unable to reproduce the crashing again.

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/12.0/Extensions/
                 /Users/username/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/

If you refer to the FM Techical Network forums, there is a thread that references this issue. https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/100728#100728

One person tracked the crashing down to the Troi Activator plugin, while another pinned it to the 2empowerFM suite of plugins. I do not have the Troi plugin, but do use the 2empowerFM plugins. I thought for sure that when I tested again, the 2empowerFM plugins would cause my crash, but they did not. So, not sure where to go from here. There seems to be an issue, but perhaps random in nature. I have installed the 2empowerFM plugins in both locations and will monitor how things go. 

FYI, the 2empowerFM plugins I have are:
                 2empowerFM - v2.36
                 2empowerFM_Developer_Assistant - v2.66
                 2empowerFM_Clipboard_Explorer - v2.54
                 2empowerFM_SQL_Runner - v2.54

Let me know if you need further info or want me to do any additional specific testing.

Thanks,
                 Doug