Summary

FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Sometimes, it is necessary to open a (remote) FileMaker file automatically when the computer restarts and the automatic log-in user's account opens, for example, after a power outage.

This help document (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5296/kw/opening%20remote%20file)
      describes a way to open files remotely via an "opener" file.

Using such an opener file as a "Login Item" does not work, though, because of a defect in Filemaker Pro.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Create the "opener" file as described in the article so that it opens FMServer_Sample remotely.
      2) Test the "opener" by quitting Filemaker and then double-clicking on the opener file. The remote file should open.
      3) In System Preferences -> Users & Groups, add the "opener" to the Login Items.
      4) Log out and then Log back in.

Expected result

FMServer_Sample should open.

Actual result

FileMaker Pro bounces indefinitely -- the file never opens.

Workaround

User must click on the bouncing FileMaker dock icon for the file to open. FAIL.

• 1. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
          philmodjunk

I believe that this is a known issue. See if what you have encountered matches this report:

FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
            TSGal

Larry Goldman:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  I am using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.4.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a new database file (Untitled.fmp12) on the Desktop.

2. I created a script named "Open Script" with the script steps:

Open File [ "FMServer_Sample" ]     // remote file off of FileMaker Server 13.0v3 under Mac OS X 10.9.4
                    Close File [ Current File ]     // Untitled.fmp12

3. I execute the script to make sure it opens the remote file and closes the current file.  (It does)

4. I reopen Untitled.fmp12, pull down the File menu, select File Options, click the Script Triggers tab, enter a checkmark next to OnFirstWindowOpen, and select the script "Open Script".

5. I close the file and quit FileMaker Pro.

6. I double-click "Untitled.fmp12", and it launches FileMaker Pro, the file temporarily opens, the remote file is opened, and Untitled.fmp12 file then closes.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
              LarryGoldman

TSGal:

Thank you for following up on this post.

The task is to open a remote file automatically when a user account logs in, or more generally, after any computer restart, manually-initiated or after a power failure.

To see the problem, add your launcher file to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items. Then, log out and log back in. Does your remote file open automatically, without user intervention?

• 4. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                TSGal

Larry Goldman:

I added "Untitled.fmp12" to the Login Items, and entered a checkmark next to it.  I logged out, logged back in, and FileMaker Pro launched and opened the remote file.  No user intervention was necessary.

Do you have any other files listed/enabled under Login Items?  (I do not.)

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                  LarryGoldman

TSGal:

We're making progress.

1) Try the experiment again, this time with FMP Advanced 13.0v3. On two of my machines, the Dock icon bounces until a user clicks it.

2) With FMP, add Activity Monitor to the startup items and try again. Activity Monitor starts, but FMP will bounce until a user clicks it.

Do you see the problem?

• 6. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                    TSGal

Larry Goldman:

After adding another application (Safari, in my case), I am able to reproduce the issue.  FileMaker Pro launches, bounces up and down a couple of times in the dock, but the file does not load until you select FileMaker Pro.

Not knowing what is causing this, I have sent the information to our Testing and Development teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                      LarryGoldman

TSGal:

To reiterate, FileMaker Pro Advanced has a similar problem but more severe: the bouncing occurs even if the opener file is the only Login Item.

Larry Goldman

• 8. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                        TSGal

Larry Goldman:

When I first tried this with FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v3, it opened without any issues.  Now, after I remove all other applications, the file does NOT display until I select FileMaker Pro Advanced either in the Dock or the application.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                          LarryGoldman

TSGal:

I observed the same. Thank you for following up on this issue.

Larry Goldman

• 10. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                            TSGal

Larry Goldman:

Our Testing department was able to replicate the issue, and mentioned this was previously reported (although no reference was mentioned).  The information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMP13 Cannot Open Files at Account Log-In
                              TSGal

LarryGoldman:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.