Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. This is what I have done:
1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 on an iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.5, I created a new database file named Volker.fmp12. I created Container field named "MyContainer" and placed it on the layout.
2. In Browse mode, I added a new record, placed my cursor in MyContainer, pulled down the Insert menu and selected Picture...
3. I selected the installed PDF file "FMP Acknowledgements.fmp12".
4. I returned to Layout mode, duplicated the MyContainer field, and set the duplicate instance for Interactive content.
5. In Browse mode, the two instances show the same information (see screen shot below).
6. I created a new record and inserted the same PDF file, and then returned to the original record.
7. I can then place my cursor in the Interactive instance without any issues.
8. I created another record, inserted a different PDF file (FMP Read Me (English).pdf), and no issues with any of the records when accessing the Interactive instance of MyContainer.
Since this is not occurring for me, try removing Adobe Reader, and set PDF files to automatically open in Preview. See if this makes a difference.
Thank you for testing!!
(And this is now important for Nicholas Orr who is subscribed already :))
I am very sorry to admit that we overlooked some important detail: on those machine we used for testing and development a tool is used that needs a plug-in: BaseElements v. 2.2a1 and v2.3 cause the problem, both for BaseElements for Version 4.
If they are only disabled in preferences everything works as it should and as you described. Disabeling 2.3 once and then re-enabling it made the problem go away too. With v 2.2.a1 it is persistent.
I do appologize for the inconvenience, but still it is an issue for us. We will contact Nick in Australia directly.
Is it BaseElements v4 that causes problems or the associated free BaseElements PlugIn?
what we tested was that the BaseElements Plug-in was responsible. Nothing to do with the Analysis tool. I think we can remove that plug-in safely (we do not use plug-ins other than in tools we use from others) and BaseElements v4 installs the plugin on the fly when it needs it.
But... this morning we discovered that disabling the plug-in might not be sufficient. Besides the plug-in in FileMaker also the Adober PDF plugin must be present in the Library:Internet plug-ins: directory. Only after deinstalling ALL Adobe Software and just re-installing the Flash Player environment (no pdf, no PS, no AIR no Bridge) we got FileMaker to recognize again that it should use Preview for PDFs. No crash anymore after that change and removal of BaseElements Plug-in v.2.2a1.
It seems to me we had at least two scenarios: one with the case just mentioned, one where ONLY an enabled BaseElements Plug-in v.2.3 was sufficient. From the crash report combined with the system log it shows that in the latter case on all crashes, the original and the later for testing provoked ones where preceded by an enormous memory consumption that finally resulted in a tried access to a memory address out of bounds. That in the context of generating thumbnails for display...
I try to keep you updated with any findings we further get to. It might be that two issues came together accidentally.
We are not seeing an issue with BaseElements here, but we are using Windows so this issue may be Mac specific. I hope someone is in contact with the developer as BE is way too valuable a tool to have this problem going forward...
OS X-10.10.1 / FMP13.0 Adv. v3
I'm using BE-PlugIn for App Maker only. Never saw any issue with current, or 10.9, or older Mac OS'