6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 8:12 AM by Benjamin Fehr

FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive

Norsult

Summary

FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

MacOS 10.9.5

Description of the issue

Whenever you change the display style of a container field (Layout mode) from the default or preset value "optimzed for images" to "optimized for interactive" and then go back to browse mode, the application will crash.

If this happens with container fields set to remote storage in a secure way, i.e. encrypted, the data will be be lost since the re-opened, "recovered" file from the crash as described above, cannot accede the data any longer. The ValidateContainerdata() will also return FALSE.

(Verified on four different machines.
      This does not occur with MacOS 10.7.5; tested on two machines)

Steps to reproduce the problem

The fastest and most reduced way to reproduce the issue is (in FM13.0.3 on MacOS 10.9.5):
      New Database
      in Field picker define a container field "MyContainer"
      Drag "MyContainer" on Layout
      switch to Browse mode
      make New record (i.e. the first record)
      click into  "MyContainer"
      Insert picture 'temp.pdf'  (it does not matter if right-clicked or via menu, any PDF)
      switch back to Layout mode
      Duplicate layout object  "MyContainer"
      Change the new object to 'optimised for interactive'
      switch back Browse mode
      create a new New record
      again insert file temp.pdf (any PDF will do)
      goto previous record

Expected result

After the steps the previous record should show, one displaying a static picture of the Pdf, the other, new occurrence of the field should show a pdf viewer like picture (depending on the chosen viewer like Preview, Adobe Reader etc.) and allow basic scrolling etc.

Actual result

When clicking into the interactive field at last, mostly with just loading the record for display, the application crashes.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No FileMaker Error message - but the OS telling that the app FileMaker unexpectedly terminated...

Configuration information

Nothing else but OS 10.9.5 found to be minimum common denominator

Workaround

NONE

No pictures, but lot of crash reports pointing to an issue with interaction between FMP and the graphic lib of the OS

• 1. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
          TSGal

Volker Krambrich:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 on an iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.5, I created a new database file named Volker.fmp12.  I created Container field named "MyContainer" and placed it on the layout.

2. In Browse mode, I added a new record, placed my cursor in MyContainer, pulled down the Insert menu and selected Picture...

3. I selected the installed PDF file "FMP Acknowledgements.fmp12".

4. I returned to Layout mode, duplicated the MyContainer field, and set the duplicate instance for Interactive content.

5. In Browse mode, the two instances show the same information (see screen shot below).

6. I created a new record and inserted the same PDF file, and then returned to the original record.

7. I can then place my cursor in the Interactive instance without any issues.

8. I created another record, inserted a different PDF file (FMP Read Me (English).pdf), and no issues with any of the records when accessing the Interactive instance of MyContainer.

Since this is not occurring for me, try removing Adobe Reader, and set PDF files to automatically open in Preview.  See if this makes a difference.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
            Norsult

Thank you for testing!!

(And this is now important for Nicholas Orr who is subscribed already :))

I am very sorry to admit that we overlooked some important detail: on those machine we used for testing and development a tool is used that needs a plug-in: BaseElements v. 2.2a1 and v2.3 cause the problem, both for BaseElements for Version 4.

If they are only disabled in preferences everything works as it should and as you described. Disabeling 2.3 once and then re-enabling it made the problem go away too. With v 2.2.a1 it is persistent.

I do appologize for the inconvenience, but still it is an issue for us. We will contact Nick in Australia directly.

Regards Volker

• 3. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
              Benjamin Fehr

Volker:

Is it BaseElements v4 that causes problems or the associated free BaseElements PlugIn?

• 4. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
                Norsult

Benjamin: 

what we tested was that the BaseElements Plug-in was responsible. Nothing to do with the Analysis tool. I think we can remove that plug-in safely (we do not use plug-ins other than in tools we use from others) and BaseElements v4 installs the plugin on the fly when it needs it.

But... this morning we discovered that disabling the plug-in might not be sufficient. Besides the plug-in in FileMaker also the Adober PDF plugin must be present in the Library:Internet plug-ins: directory. Only after deinstalling ALL Adobe Software and just re-installing the Flash Player environment (no pdf, no PS, no AIR no Bridge) we got FileMaker to recognize again that it should use Preview for PDFs. No crash anymore after that change and removal of BaseElements Plug-in v.2.2a1.

It seems to me we had at least two scenarios: one with the case just mentioned, one where ONLY an enabled BaseElements Plug-in v.2.3 was sufficient. From the crash report combined with the system log it shows that in the latter case on all crashes, the original and the later for testing provoked ones where preceded by an enormous memory consumption that finally resulted in a tried access to a memory address out of bounds. That in the context of generating thumbnails for display...

I try to keep you updated with any findings we further get to. It might be that two issues came together accidentally.

Volker

• 5. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
                  philmodjunk

We are not seeing an issue with BaseElements here, but we are using Windows so this issue may be Mac specific. I hope someone is in contact with the developer as BE is way too valuable a tool to have this problem going forward...

• 6. Re: FMP13, MacOS 10.9. Crash with data lost when change Container field from Picture to Interactive
                    Benjamin Fehr

OS X-10.10.1 / FMP13.0 Adv. v3

I'm using BE-PlugIn for App Maker only. Never saw any issue with current, or 10.9, or older Mac OS'