FMP13- opening multiple files, each with diff priv and pw

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

Description of the issue

I have a user who needs to be able to log-in (using SHIFT+open) to about 3 or 4 different filemaker files at the same time. Two of these files have the same username/pw. Third one has its own username/pw. 4th doesn't require username/pw (logs in as Guest). These files were recently converted from old fp5 files. We have tried to do as little changes to them as possible so that the users will get a similar look/feel/performance as they did previously in FileMaker Pro 5.

When this user might inadvertently close one of the files he opened using SHIFT+open to get to the login dialog (keeping the others open)...then subsequently tries to re-open it doing the same, as long as the FileMaker Pro 13 application hasn't been closed altogether, he doesn't get the login screen, and often, doesn't get the privileges he had before. He then has to close all files, close FileMaker Pro 13, and then start all over again opening each file using SHIFT+open.

Any idea what is going on here?

• 1. Re: FMP13- opening multiple files, each with diff priv and pw
          philmodjunk

I suggest that before he try to re-open the file, he pull down the window menu and select the Show sub menu to see a list of all files open in the background. I suspect that the file is already open as a hidden background file and this would explain both why he did not get a log in dialog dialog and why he finds that the privileges are different. This could happen if an external file reference in file A requires File B to be open. When the user closes File B, open with the Password that he entered, the reference in File A forces the file back open in the background. If the current account name (not user name) and password used to Open File A is different than that used to open File B, FileMaker will first attempt to open that file with the same account name and password as File A so this can re-open the file with different credentials.

Note: Account names are Specified in Manage | Security. User names are specified in preferences. And not to make this more confusing, when FileMaker displays the log in dialog when a file first opens, it inserts the current user name as the default account name in the dialog.

• 2. Re: FMP13- opening multiple files, each with diff priv and pw
            jdevans
             makes sense. I do know that some of these are used as Data Sources to others. Ill have him take a look at the Window menu. Thanks.