3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 8:41 AM by smower

FMPA 10 Bug Get(TriggerModifierKeys) not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys

smower

Summary

FMPA 10 Bug Get(TriggerModifierKeys) not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys

Description of the issue

Windows XP Professional - FileMaker Pro Advanced 10 The Get(TriggerModifierKeys) is not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys in combination with script triggers and scripts.  The Help file says "Returns the state of the keyboard modifier keys (for example, Control+Shift) as they were when a script trigger was activated." However, I can not get Control+Shift or Control+anything to trigger a script or the function.  I understand that control and option keys work on the Mac but Control and Alt are not working on Windows.  Shift and Caps lock are the only modifier keys I can get to work with the Get(TriggerModifierKeys)If you go to layout mode and set up a script trigger "OnLayoutKeystroke"Notice that Control+m does not workIf [Get(TriggerKeystroke)=“m” and Get(TriggerModifierKeys)=4]Show Custom Dialog [“Hello”]End IfNotice that Alt+m does not workIf [Get(TriggerKeystroke)=“m” and Get(TriggerModifierKeys)=8]Show Custom Dialog [“Hello”]End IfNotice that Shift+m does workIf [Get(TriggerKeystroke)=“m” and Get(TriggerModifierKeys)=1]Show Custom Dialog [“Hello”]End IfNotice that CapsLock+m does workIf [Get(TriggerKeystroke)=“m” and Get(TriggerModifierKeys)=2]Show Custom Dialog [“Hello”]End IfNotice that Control+Shift+m does not workIf [Get(TriggerKeystroke)=“m” and Get(TriggerModifierKeys)=5]Show Custom Dialog [“Hello”]End If

• 1. Re: FMPA 10 Bug Get(TriggerModifierKeys) not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys
          TSGal

smower:

Thank you for your post.

I can verify that the Get (TriggerModifierKeys) does not work the same as it does (correctly) on a Macintosh.

I have forwarded your entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can confirm and be aware of this issue.  I could not find a workaround for the Control or Alt keys.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMPA 10 Bug Get(TriggerModifierKeys) not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys
            DarrenTerry

Not that I represent FMI support or anything, but I wouldn't expect Ctrl to be a capturable key combo on Windows.

It isn't possible to capture keyboard shortcuts using OnObjectKeystroke or OnLayoutKeystroke events.  FM always processes keyboard shortcuts, and doesn't capture them.  That means you can't capture the command key on Mac, or the Control key on Windows.  

(Note that on Windows, on a layout with OnLayoutKeystroke event activated, the script will not run if you do Ctrl-L to go into Layout mode).  I would guess that Alt behaves the same way, since Alt is used to specify menus and menu items on Windows and therefore could be considered a keyboard shortcut key.

• 3. Re: FMPA 10 Bug Get(TriggerModifierKeys) not working on Windows for Alt or Control Modifier Keys
              smower
                 Thanks for your responses.  Darren, I know on windows that Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) is able to pick up the Alt and Control Keys but not Get(TriggerModifierKeys) and the FileMaker help file says that Get(TriggerModifierKeys) "Returns the state of the keyboard modifier keys (for example, Control+Shift) as they were when a script trigger was activated."  Windows definately doesn't pick that up and the help also says "See Get ( ActiveModifierKeys )  for a description of the values assigned to the keyboard modifier keys. " and Windows definately picks up the alt and control on Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) but not on Get(TriggerModifierKeys)