1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 3:31 PM by philmodjunk

FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?

lhoong

Summary

FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?

Description of the issue

Using FMPA 10v3 on Mac OS X 10.5.6, it appears that I get a corrupted file if I do the following:  1. Create new db in FMP....first field can be anything 2. enter layout mode 3. click on rect. tool - draw rect. or square 4. click on line tool - draw 2 lines on layout 5. select both lines and group 6. select grouped lines and select rect. on layout 7. align center and align middle 8. close db 9. recover the db just created Result: Recovery log indicates that the db is corrupted with alert not to continue using the file.  The log entries also indicate that the grouped object on the layout had to be rebuilt. Can anyone else replicate this?  Why would aligning grouped graphics, created using built-in tools, cause such a recovery result? It seems like a bug to me. Lee Hoong=================Binary Assist220 Gaines Oak WaySuwanee, GA 30024Voice: (678) 313-5604Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.comWebsite: www.binaryassist.comFileMaker 10 Certified Developer 

• 1. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
          philmodjunk
             I was able to replicate this bug with Windows xp, sp3 on Fmp 10v3 advanced.
          • 2. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
            lhoong

Thanks for the confirmation, PhilModJunk.  Do you also have FMPA 9?  If you repeat the steps with FMPA 9 and do the recovery with FMPA 10, do you also get a similar alert for file corruption?  

At this point, it's not entirely clear to me whether the corruption occurs while working in layout mode or during recovery or a combination of both.

Lee Hoong

=================
            Binary Assist
            220 Gaines Oak Way
            Suwanee, GA 30024
            Voice: (678) 313-5604

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer 

• 3. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
              philmodjunk

We don't really know if the file is corrupted at all. Only that the recover process reports it as corrupted.

I made the jump from 5.5 to 10 so don't have any of the intermediate versions. Others will have to test and confirm that.

• 4. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                TSGal

Lee Hoong:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to duplicate the problem on FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.5.8.  The recovered file looks fine.  I ran Recover again on the recovered file, and I also get the same error message.

I quit FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced and launched FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced.  Running Recover on the same file does NOT exhibit the problem.

I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                  KoenVanHulle

I could reproduce this one as well.

For what it's worth, I compared the objects before and after the recovery with clip manager. The recovery did change the bounds of the Group Button object during recovery. 

Before recovery:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Layout

enclosingRectTop="61.792892" enclosingRectLeft="347.792877" enclosingRectBottom="160.000000" enclosingRectRight="451.207092">

<Object type="Rect" flags="0" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 66.000000" left="354.000000" bottom="157.000000" right="445.000000"/>

<DrawStyle linePat="2" lineWidth="1" lineColor="#0" fillPat="1" fillEffect="0" fillColor="#FFFFFF00"/>

</Object>

<Object type="GroupButton" flags="0" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 63.000000" left="348.000000" bottom="160.000000" right="451.000000"/>

<GroupButtonObj numOfObjs="4">

<Object type="Line" flags="8192" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 61.792892" left="347.792877" bottom="153.207092" right="349.207092"/>

<DrawStyle linePat="2" lineWidth="1" lineColor="#0" fillPat="1" fillEffect="0" fillColor="#FFFFFF00"/>

</Object>

<Object type="Line" flags="12288" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 61.792892" left="449.792908" bottom="159.207092" right="451.207092"/>

</Object>

</GroupButtonObj>

</Object>

</Layout> 

After recovery:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Layout

enclosingRectTop="61.792892" enclosingRectLeft="347.792877" enclosingRectBottom="159.207092" enclosingRectRight="451.207092">

<Object type="Rect" flags="0" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 66.000000" left="354.000000" bottom="157.000000" right="445.000000"/>

</Object>

<Object type="GroupButton" flags="0" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 61.792892" left="347.792877" bottom="159.207092" right="451.207092"/>

<GroupButtonObj numOfObjs="4">

<Object type="Line" flags="8192" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 61.792892" left="347.792877" bottom="153.207092" right="349.207092"/>

</Object>

<Object type="Line" flags="12288" portal="-1" rotation="0">

<Bounds top=" 61.792892" left="449.792908" bottom="159.207092" right="451.207092"/>

</Object>

</GroupButtonObj>

</Object>

</Layout>

In the recovered file the bounds are corrected to the bounds of the enclosed objects.

Koen 

• 6. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                    TSGal

KoenVanHulle:

Thanks for the observations.  I have attached your results to the issue.

Testing has confirmed the issue, and it has been sent to Development.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                      lhoong

Curiously, if you ungroup the graphics after the alignment step before closing the file, recovery does NOT report any corruption.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

• 8. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                        TSGal

Lee Hoong:

That is correct.  The error reported is related to grouped objects.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                          durniak

This Recover Error Message "Rebuilt group with x object(s)" is very common.  I have "bad" groups all over my files

Please add this info to the Knowledge Base

it appears that this is an error of "low" severity

Thanks

• 10. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                            ralvy

Has this been fixed with the release of FM11 v1?

• 11. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                              lhoong

Does not appear to be fixed in FMPA 11v1.

Lee.
                              =================
                              Binary Assist
                              220 Gaines Oak Way
                              Suwanee, GA 30024
                              FileMaker Certified Developer

• 12. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                                TSGal

All:

I can confirm that this was not fixed in FileMaker Pro 11v1.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                                  durniak

Is this really a "bug" in the way FileMaker Client groups objects,   or a "bug" that Recover now reports it as an error?

I have FileMaker 6 converted files, that show this error

is it possible this has been a "problem" for a long time, and we just didn't know it?

Thanks,

greg

• 14. Re: FMPA 10: group graphic + align = corrupt file?
                                    TSGal

durniak:

Thank you for your post.

Recover reports this as an error.  It appears to have been introduced in FileMaker Pro 10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next