8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 10:01 AM by TSGal

FMPA 11 - Width of long drop-down list

shaarkie@yahoo.com

Summary

FMPA 11 - Width of long drop-down list

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Windows Vista Enterprise x86This does not happen on my Windows 7 Pro machine Detailed description of the issue:I use a runtime version of my solution on Win Vista, at work.  I make changes/updates to my solution on my laptup running Windows 7 Pro.  After upgrading from FMPA 10 to 11, I recompiled my runtime with FMPA 11 and copied it to my Vista machine. Now, certain fields with drop-down lists do not expand enough, in width, to display the the list items correctly.  The drop-down only expands to the width of the field, and not beyond it.  This is very inconvenient when I use related values in lists which show a four-digit code followed by a longer description of the code.  On the layout, I only need a small field to fit the code, but in the drop-down, I need to see the full description so that I know what I'm selecting. Drop-down lists work as expected on the laptop running Windows 7 Pro, via runtime or via the FMPA application.  This phenomenon only occurs when using my solution on the Windows Vista machine, in runtime mode (unable to test the application because I'm not allowed to install anything on my work PC -- sorry).   Expected Result:Drop-down list should expand, in width, to fit longer items (as it does on my Win 7 laptop) Actual Result:Drop-down list expands only to the width of the field (on the Win Vista PC) Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:no error Any workarounds that you have found:Stretch the field to a width that would fit the width of the contents of the value list, and hide the field behind another object..  Then, put a "dummy" read-only copy of the same field, but at the width desired for your layout  ADDITIONAL: NOTE 1:  To make the runtime work on my Win Vista PC, I had to have my IT dept. install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package on my Vista PC.  Before that, I was getting this error:  The Application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. NOTE 2:  I did not have this problem with FMPA 10 on my Vista PC.  Let me know if you need any other technical data about machine or OS.