1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 2:08 PM by JimMac

FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug

BarryIsakson

Summary

FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v1Operating System(s) involved:MacOS 10.6.2Detailed description of the issue:When activating an inactive window by clicking within the window and then immediately clicking on a button (similar to the time interval in a double-click) an extraneous system beep occurs. This does not occur in versions prior to 11.0v1 and it does not occur if the time interval between clicks is longer as in two separate clicks rather than a double-click.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:A sample file demonstrating the problem with instructionscan be downloaded here:http://www.architectronica.com/download/fmp11/Extraneous_Beeps_Bug.fp7.zip Expected Result:When double-clicking within the inactive window, the inactive window comes to the foreground and the script attached to the button executes without the beep.Actual Result:When double-clicking within the inactive window, the inactive window comes to the foreground and an extraneous system beep occurs with the second click irregardless of what the button script does.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:None - System BeepAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:A sample file demonstrating the problem can be downloaded here:http://www.architectronica.com/download/fmp11/Extraneous_Beeps_Bug.fp7.zipAny workarounds that you have found:Click slower???

• 1. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
          TSGal

surf2live:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the problem on both Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).  My Windows XP machine does not have speakers, so I am unable to verify.

I have sent your post and sample file, along with my findings, to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
            tcmeyers

surf2live,

Here, under FMPA 11.0v1 and FMP 11.0v1 on Snow Leopard and Leopard (Intel and G5) machines I'm getting extraneous beeps by just clicking scripted buttons, on occasion, not even on window change. It might be that I'm clicking them too quickly after (or before) another script finishes, but I'm not sure.

I had sort of assumed it was because the script hadn't completed. I had kind of considered it an improvement over the behavior in FMP 10 where a mouse-click would be buffered at a location even though the button there hadn't been drawn yet, which often lead to unwanted button scripts being executed.

What's also odd in FMP 11, is that sometimes when the beep occurs, a possibly same-button-shaped graying occurs elsewhere on the window momentarily as if button-depression darkening was supposed to be displayed, but in the wrong spot. This is hard to reproduce but I've seen it several times.

TSGal, has this also been reported with regard to this issue?

-Troy

• 3. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thanks for your post.

No, the problem you describe has not been reported.  I know you said it was hard to reproduce, but do you notice if the position of the darkening appears anywhere near another button?  How about the position (and maybe size) of a button in a inactive/hidden window?  Do you have any theories or "gut" feelings?  I'm hoping you can provide a clue or some direction to try and replicate this.  Please keep an eye on this the next time it occurs.

Is anybody else exhibiting the same problem?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                tcmeyers

TSGal,

I was able to reproduce and capture an image of this by clicking a zillion times and taking a zillion screenshots, using 2 hands. I expect there's a better way but I don't know it.

In the process I discovered that the misplaced button greying doesn't always coincide with the beep, and the beep doesn't necessarily indicate that the button didn't work because I could see signs that the associated script was performed. There may well be a relationship but it could be two separate issues.

Here's a portion of the screenshot showing the button not in the clicked state. It's the embarassingly designed one with a bunch of icons on it.

Now here it is being clicked, and darkened to indicate that. It's the one right under the window title "EmailGetter (Server 10)":

Lastly, here's a click that produced the darkening in the wrong location, instead of appearing in the header part with that button, it's on one of the body parts, on a record area.

See it, aligned under the intended button, but sort of coming out from under the header, almost covering the "appointment to visit?"  text?

-Troy

• 5. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                  TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thanks for taking the time to document all of this.  I have captured your screen shots and forwarded all information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  When I receive information from one of these groups, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                    tcmeyers

A further observation--

I just discovered by accident that RIGHT-clicking always produces the misplaced button highlighting (and only momentarily, not the entire time the mouse is pushed, guessing around 1/10 second) and sometimes produces the beep, sometimes runs the script.

I hadn't thought to try this because in FMP 10 right-clicking a button does nothing at all!

-Troy

• 7. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                      TSGal

surf2live:

Our Testing department has confirmed the issue.  This was previously reported (not by a forum user) and the button highlight occurs in the body part when clicking a button in the header part right after activating a window.

Troy Meyers:

It doesn't matter if I right-click or normal click.  The highlight does appear for me when the button is in the header and it was not the active window.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                        tcmeyers

TSGal,

The right-click mis-highlighting occurs every time - not just when the window is first activated. Even if it's the only FileMaker window that is open. Click after click, not leaving the window produces this effect for me.

-Troy

• 9. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Interesting...  I cannot make this happen on either Leopard or Snow Leopard.  I would like to see a clone of your file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                            tcmeyers

TSGal,

I've sent the clone, and did verify that I can see the effect even though there are no records.

-Troy

• 11. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your file.

I get the shading whether I click it or right click it.  Another way to see it is not making it active, and then double-click the button or double-right-click.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                                tcmeyers

I thought I should report that the 11.0v2 update did not solve either the mis-highlighed button or the extraneous beep issue. It's possible that its frequency might have been reduced, but it still happens plenty.

-Troy

• 13. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                                  TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Yes, I can confirm that this was not addressed in FileMaker Pro 11.0v2.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FMPA 11 Extraneous Beeps Bug
                                    tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure this wasn't marked off as "solved" already.

-Troy

1 2 Previous Next