Summary

FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac 10.10.3

Description of the issue

When running the "Save Records as PDF" script in FMPA 14.0.1 it generates the following error and will not write the file. Unfortunately the rest of the script continues to run minus the file. In our case resulting in an email being sent to clients without the attachment.

The error message is:

""FileX.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

This script step worked fine for in 13.0.9. Immediately after it failed in 14.0.1, I opened up 13.0.9 and ran the same script and it worked fine.

In this case the database file I am accessing is hosted on FMS 13.0.9.

As an additional test. I opened up the same record and selected "Save Record as PDF" from the File menu and saved it to the same folder with the same filename without issue in 14.0.1. It only seems to have an issue when done through the script step.

The exact script step is:

Save Records as PDF [Restore; No dialog; "XXX-Namexxx.pdf"; Current record]

I pulled that step out and put it into a script by itself and then ran it again. It generates the same error.

There are three file paths. The one valid for the workstation I'm on is the second one.

It follows the format of
      filemac:/External Drive/Folder/Folder/XXX-Namexxx.pdf

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a script with Save Records as PDF [Restore; No dialog; "XXX-Namexxx.pdf"; Current record]

Expected result

Save file in the proper folder named XXX-Namexxx.pdf

Actual result

Generates below error message and does not create the file

""XXX-Namexxx.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"XXX-Namexxx.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

Configuration information

Database hosted on FM Server v13.0.9

Workaround

Works fine in FM 13.0.9

• 1. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
          philmodjunk

Try a file path with just "file:" as the initial text. Try it with no tag at all, just: /External Drive/Folder/Folder/XXX-Namexxx.pdf

Since FileMaker 11, you don't have to include the initial tag when saving a PDF. Maybe now it generates an error if you do.

• 2. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
            Mac89

Great idea. Unfortunately no luck. I tried without the tag and it auto added "file:". When I ran it I got the same error. I also added a path to the Desktop in order to test a simple path involving no external drives. It also generated the same error.

file:/Users/name/Desktop - also generated error

• 3. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error

Mac89:

Thank you for the post.

I am not able to replicate. I tested all combinations of FileMaker Pro 13.0v9 (Advanced), FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 (Advanced), connecting to a FileMaker Server 13.0v9 host and a FileMaker Server 14.0.1 host.

“file:/Users/name/Desktop - also generated error”

What about the following?

filemac:/Macintosh HD/Users/my.username/Documents/XXX.pdf

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                Mac89

Thanks for looking into this. I did some more testing and narrowed down the issue to a change in handling file paths between FM 13 & 14.

First off, I made a mistake when I tried the path to the Desktop and forgot to put in the XXX.pdf. So that always did work. I was the bug there.

Not surprisingly the issue does appear to be path related and there does seem to be a difference between how paths are being handled between 13.0.9 and 14.0.1.

In my case I have an external HD over iSCSI with the name XXXX-55. This is how the drive appears in Finder and in the path I have embedded into our database being hosted on FMS 13.0.9. For some reason and at some undetermined point, the name of that drive under the "Name & Extension" box when you select "Get Info" changed to "XXXX-55 1". This is the only place that I see it with the 1 added that typically would appear when there is a naming conflict. I have nothing else with that name and can't get rid of the one but that's for another forum.

FMPA v13.0.9 handled things fine with the path pointing to "XXXX-55", the drive labeled "XXXX-55" and the "Name & Extension" showing the name as "XXXX-55 1"

When you use FMPA v14.0.1, however, it generates an error using the same information. If I go in and change the path to "XXXX-55 1", it then works fine.

So in summary FMPA v13.0.9 seems to be more relaxed about the names in the path while FMPA v14.0.1 requires the exact name that appears under "Name & Extension" and not just what the drive is labelled in Finder.

• 5. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                  Mac89

I am continuing to discover issues with paths that worked fine in FMPA 13.0.9 but don't work in FMPA 14.0.1.

On a completely different network now but connected to the same FMS 13.0.9 database, paths that work perfectly fine in FMPA 13.0.9 clients do not work in FMPA 14.0.1 clients.

In this case the original path that works in FMPA 13.0.9 but not 14.0.1 is:

filemac:/ShareA/SendFolder/XX.pdf

When I change it to the below it then works in 14.0.1

filemac:/ShareA-1/SendFolder/XX.pdf

Once again there is a difference between the name of the drive in Finder and the name you see when you do Get Info and look at Name & Extension. Under there it has a "-1" added.

For some reason this doesn't seem to bother 13.0.9 but does trip up 14.0.1.

For what it's worth, both of these external drives that had " 1" added in one case and "-1" in another are Drobo drives.

It definitely seems that something was changed in 14.0.1 in terms of how it reads volume names/file paths.

Appreciate any official word from FM on what the difference is as I'm setting out to updates countless filepaths buried in our solution and want to make sure there are not problems down the road.

• 6. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error

Mac89:

Thank you for the replies.

After more testing, I was able to replicate. 

To replicate: 

1. Name two external drives “Test”

2. Plug in the first drive “Test”

3. Plug in the second drive “Test”

Note: Though both drives display “Test” on the Desktop > Get Info shows the second drive as “Test 1”

4. Unplug the first drive “Test”

Note: A drive called “Test” still displays on the Desktop > Get Info shows the name is still “Test 1”

FileMaker Pro 13.0v9 (Advanced) is able to Save a PDF to the drive using the name “Test” in the file path; however, FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 (Advanced) throws the error until the path is corrected to the name in Get Info.

Additionally, I forwarded a report to Testing and Development for review. 

Note: I have not yet tried to replicate this on the Windows platform and will update this thread after I am able to test. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error

@All:

This issue is specific to Mac OS X because Windows will give each drive its own letter so this cannot occur.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                        philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 9. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                          bkolb

Has there been any resolution to this problem?     We recently migrated from FM11 to FM14 and had this problem with users running FM14 on Windows 7 machines.   We migrated them to Windows 10 and for the most part, the problem went away.  However, recently, the one task that creates a PDF fails for ONE user. They always create the PDF on the same workstation, but there's a different person who logs on each day.  Last week, one person started getting this error when she tried running the script that creates the PDF.   No one else who runs on this workstation has a problem.  The file is always written to the same place  (they all have an H: drive configured that is their own "sandbox" and we had them create a specifically named folder on their H: drive.   This task used to work for this user, so we don't know why it started up again.  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 10. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                            TSGal

bkolb:

If saving a PDF works for all users except one, have the user try to manually save a PDF to the Desktop.  Does this work?  If so, have the user manually save a PDF to the H: drive.  Does this work?  Finally, have the user manually save a PDF to a folder on the H: drive.  Does this work?

I'm trying to narrow this down to a permissions error, either on the current user account, the attached drive and/or the folder on the attached drive.  The results will give me a good starting point.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMPA 14: Save Records as PDF Script Bug - Generates Error
                              bkolb

have the user try to manually save a PDF to the Desktop.  Does this work?  Yes it did

If so, have the user manually save a PDF to the H: drive.  Does this work? Yes it did

Finally, have the user manually save a PDF to a folder on the H: drive.  Does this work?  Yes it did.

We also were notified that now it's failing in the same way for a couple more users.   Our next plan is to upgrade to the 14.06 client (a coworker talked to Filemaker support and that was one of their suggestions.)  We plan to do that next week.