1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 8:57 AM by TSGal

FMPA11 crashes when assigning a new Extended Privilege to an account

kwo1729_1

Summary

FMPA11 crashes when assigning a new Extended Privilege to an account

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 11Operating System(s) involved:Windows Vista SP2Detailed description of the issue:When I try to assign an Extended Privilege to an account, FileMaker crashes after I enter the username and password with admin privileges to confirm the change.  FileMaker will also crash if I try to re-open the file. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:This seems to happen with any file - I have created new (empty) files and tested creating and assigning an extended privilege with exactly the same result.  However, I can do exactly what I am trying to do, both in a copy of my original file and a new "test" file, on another computer running FMPA 11 with Vista SP1. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:On a few occasions, when trying to re-open the file after it had crashed, I received the following message: "The access privileges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with. Please contact FileMaker Technical Support if the problem cannot be resolved".  However that doesn't happen any more.Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:Before all this began I was running Vista SP1; when I experienced this problem I checked the exact technical requirements and saw that I should be using SP2.  I therefore upgraded and then reinstalled FileMaker but it didn't help. Any workarounds that you have found:Using another computer as described 3 paragraphs above. I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.  It seems that this issue is specific to my computer but I'm not sure what to try next short of reinstalling Windows. Thank you. Katharine. 

• 1. Re: FMPA11 crashes when assigning a new Extended Privilege to an account
          TSGal

kwo1729:

Thank you for your post.

Try creating a new user account on your Vista machine.  Log in to that new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new database file, and create a new account assigning extended privileges.  Se if you are able to save those changes.  If so, then you may have a problem with your original user account.  You will then need to do some sleuthing to determine what is different between the two accounts.  If the problem still occurs, then try uninstalling FileMaker Pro 11 and reinstalling.  Try again saving the extended privileges.

Do you have anything else on your machine that might be considered out of the ordinary?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.