FMpro 12 crashes when using camer on Ipad mini

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Go_Ipad 12.0.7

Operating system version

IOS 6

Description of the issue

I have two container fields on a layout.  The containers are for photos taken while filling out the layout form.  The form originally was entirely scripted and when the script called for the user to photograph it would bring the user to the choice box. The user chooses camera and the camera starts, once the user touches the take photo button the software crashes and some data loss occurs (not the entire new record). this prompted me to remove the container field entry from the script and just instruct users to touch the container field to invoke the choice box.  The system still crashes on occasion.  I then instructed users to choose small photo size and still the system crashes on occasion.  this occurs with nothing else running in the background.  I have not yet tried turning off push messages or alerts but this should not happen with it on.

Steps to reproduce the problem

create a layout with container field for photos.  touch the container field and choose "Use Camera".  Take the photo.  you may have to do this several times to get it to happen, I have had this happen many times on several different devices. My file size is 254MB. The layout was created in its original form in FMpro12 Advanced.

Expected result

Place taken photo in the container field

Actual result

FM_Go crashes

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error, the file and application close.

Workaround

using the container unscripted seemed to lessen the frequency but the issue still occurs.

• 1. Re: FMpro 12 crashes when using camer on Ipad mini

Timothy Nees:

Thank you for the post.

To attempt to replicate this, I created a new database file in FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 Advanced:

1. Added 4 container fields to a single layout.

2. Created an "OnRecordLoad" script to Go To and select/perform on any empty container field.

3. Transferred the new file an iPad with iOS 6.1.3 and opened with FileMaker Go 12.0v7.

4. Using the iPad's camera, pictures were taken for each of the 4 containers fields on the layout.

5. This process was repeated for 10 records while switching between records, until every container field on every record contained a picture.

FileMaker Go 12.0v7 on the iPad with iOS 6.1.3, using the iPad's camera took and added 40 pictures across 10 records with 4 container fields. The application did not crash even once. 

Am I possibly missing a step to replicate? Does this occur in a newly created test file?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMpro 12 crashes when using camer on Ipad mini
            TimothyNees

I don't think you are missing the concept however the form I'm using has 97 fields on it (some calculations, text,date,numbers,containers for signatures and pictures ,etc.).  I am exploring the possibility that incoming messages may be part of what is happening.  When I check time stamps and compare with messages received through iMessage the timing is close but hard for me to pin point exactly.  The crashes are occurring on devices with Verizon wireless service.  The file is not a hosted file and is running directly from the device.  Alerts are turned off to avoid interruptions while using the file.  My next step is to try disabling messaging and email push while using the file.  

The crash does not occur all the time and so it's obvious to me that some combination of events is causing it. But the key trigger is always pushing the button to take the photo.

Another possibility is to try running a script with a pause in it and touch on the container field to take a photo prior to continuing the paused script.