Summary

FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

9, 11

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I can't believe no one else has reported this or seen this happen. If you double click on FMPro to launch it then immediately switch to another application, FMPro will not start up. It requires that it be the foreground application to launch.

The problem with this is, for example, a computer where you have iChat and FMPro launching at startup (via the mac system preferences -> account -> login items settings). Both apps get launched and iChat is left in the foreground. FMPro, being in the background, never will launch - it just sits there bouncing in the doc.

Steps to reproduce the problem

double click on FMPro to launch it then immediately switch to another application, FMPro will not start

Expected result

Like EVERY APP on the Macintosh, the app should launch! For a potentially crucial piece of software like FMPro (runs our entire business), it should launch when asked to launch.

Actual result

The icon just bounces in the dock wanting me to foreground it. Not for any good reason - just to click on it. I thought this had to do with a login screen or something but it doesn't...

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

I've seen this with Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5
I've seen this with FMPro 9, 9 Advanced and 11 Advanced

Workaround

None - just turn off iChat (not a solution)

Picture_3.png

Outcomes