Summary

FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

9, 11

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I can't believe no one else has reported this or seen this happen. If you double click on FMPro to launch it then immediately switch to another application, FMPro will not start up. It requires that it be the foreground application to launch.

The problem with this is, for example, a computer where you have iChat and FMPro launching at startup (via the mac system preferences -> account -> login items settings). Both apps get launched and iChat is left in the foreground. FMPro, being in the background, never will launch - it just sits there bouncing in the doc.

Steps to reproduce the problem

double click on FMPro to launch it then immediately switch to another application, FMPro will not start

Expected result

Like EVERY APP on the Macintosh, the app should launch! For a potentially crucial piece of software like FMPro (runs our entire business), it should launch when asked to launch.

Actual result

The icon just bounces in the dock wanting me to foreground it. Not for any good reason - just to click on it. I thought this had to do with a login screen or something but it doesn't...

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

I've seen this with Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5
      I've seen this with FMPro 9, 9 Advanced and 11 Advanced

Workaround

None - just turn off iChat (not a solution)

Picture_3.png

• 1. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

Scott Gurley:

Thank you for posting.

I believe I have been able to reproduce the issue on Snow Leopard. It seems when I open a database and another application immediately afterward, the database window will be minimized until I click the hopping FileMaker Pro Dock icon. Is this the issue you experienced?

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
            ScottGurley

It is simple to reproduce without needing to open a database.

1) Go to your applications folder

2) Double click on FileMaker

3) immediately click on your desktop

Once you do that, FMPro will not open and run... NO OTHER Macintosh App ever does that. Filemaker doesn't need my attention, doesn't need anything from me - just wants to be in the foreground to launch...

So on my client computers, where I require iChat to be running, I can't get those two apps to start automatically without a human sitting there to foreground FMPro.

• 3. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
              TSGal

Scott Gurley:

Thank you for your posts.

This has been previously reported by other customers.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  There is no further update at this time.

You can see another related forum post at:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/613d2aee08

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                JohnDCCIU

Another vote to please fix this silliness ASAP:  it's been going on for years despite my pleas to various places that it really makes it difficult to do FileMaker automation "servers" (which we use quite a bit).

It's an unprofessional behavior in the app and dead simple to fix:  there's no excuse for it being around this long.

Some development manager somewhere needs to stop making excuses and put this on the list to get fixed ASAP.  I've wasted so much time tweaking and working around this ridiculous behavior.

• 5. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                  TSGal

JohnDCCIU:

Thank you for your comments.  I have attached your post to the original issue so that our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments can revisit it.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                    JohnDCCIU

For those of you suffering with this bad app behavior in the FileMaker client, here's an AppleScript that I whipped up for my "automation servers" that can be used in the Login Items to get FileMaker going automatically with a Launcher database, despite this bug.  Substitute the path and name of your launcher, of course.

Note that I'm no AppleScript expert and I just kept poking at this until it seemed to work reliably (for example, I noticed that on some machines, the first attempt failed, so I just duplicated the try statements and that seemed to work), so I'm certain that there are efficiencies and better ways to code this:  my goal was just to get something going quickly, so that I could stop wasting my and my staff's time dealing with FileMaker's longstanding bug.  if you're an AppleScripter and the sight of this offends you (as it probably should), please feel free to make it more elegant.

try

with timeout of 30 seconds

tell application "Finder" to open POSIX file "/Users/admin/Desktop/FMProLauncherScheduler.fp7"

end timeout

end try

try

tell application "FileMaker Pro" to activate

end timeout

end try

try

tell application "Finder" to open POSIX file "/Users/admin/Desktop/FMProLauncherScheduler.fp7"

end timeout

end try

try

tell application "FileMaker Pro" to activate

end timeout

end try

• 7. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                      JohnDCCIU

BTW, there's a similar annoying design flaw in the FileMaker that maybe should be fixed at the same time as the launch bug that we're discussing here.  If FileMaker is in the background and a Sort or Find progress dialog pops up as part of a running script, FileMaker will (wrongly) begin to bounce its icon in the Dock.  It's a teeth-grinding behavior that should not be there.

This is incorrect app behavior because there is nothing in FileMaker at the time that requires the user's attention...there's just status information being communicated that is optional for the user to look at: it's not an error that rises to the level of something that should bounce the icon.  This is mentioned in Apple's HIG document, something that FileMaker developers should read a bit more closely (don't get me started on the Calc field dialog, among others that need attention):

Use the Notification Manager to convey more serious information, such as error conditions. Notifications cause your Dock tile icon to bounce. Make sure you disable this effect once the user has addressed the problem. (Note that error-related classes in a Cocoa application initiate Dock notifications automatically.)

The only thing that should make FileMaker bounce in the dock is a dialog that halts progress (whether script-generated or app-generated), i.e. a dialog that has button(s) on it.

• 8. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                        ScottGurley

John DCCIU, you are absolutely right! I remember in the "good ole days" when FMP was a macintosh specific app that worked GREAT! It seems like the older it gets, the more absurd it gets. Filemaker Developers, please realize these things are not our opinions, these are factually wrong behaviors for a macintosh application.

• 9. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                          RobertMclear

Strongly agree with this sentiment; this is an idiotic problem that should simply not exist. I know of no other application which insists that it be brought to the foreground before completing its launch. 

• 10. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                            nilsw

Are there any updates on this issue? This post is almost 4 year old now and the bug still exists. 

Version 9, 10, 11, 12, 13...

Also reported recently here: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/c9435634fb

Nils

• 11. Re: FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX
                              JohnDCCIU

Hear, hear!  This behavior in the app is inexcusable in the first place, and it's a complete embarrassment that it has been there for so many years.