14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 11:58 AM by BrianPanhuyzen

FMS 10 Console Failed to start

FrancescoScarpa

Summary

FMS 10 Console Failed to start

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:Filemaker server 10 (10.0.1.64 and related update 10.0.1a) Operating System(s) involved:Windows 2003 standard edition R2 Detailed description of the issue:Filemaker Console, after work properly for 1 month (using a VLA license and not a trial version), stop respondign.I cannot access to the console to close files, disconnect users and all the other common task or configuration.Filemaker is unrensponsive ar localhost:16000 or filemaker_ip_address_on_lan:16000.I can only  manage fielmaker using command line (through MS cmd). Exact steps to reproduce the issue:I have worked with this version for 1 month or little less.I have installed latest windows update and Java 6.11 runtime environment (the latter is required to make work filemaker 10 console).After windows update i restared the server and filemaker console didn't start and give up with an error message but Filemaker files were available for all the clients and I can access filemaker command line. At this point I uninstall win updates, i kept only java 6.7 and try to restart console but it was unrensponsive. I removed filemaker from that server, try a new installation on another machine (with java 6.7 and no recent win updates but r2) and filemaker console didn't start (same as on previous machine).Retry with java 6.11: same result. I think I tried each possible configuration available right now.Expected Result:COnsole start properly in order to deploy/configure database server Actual Result:Console didn't start at all. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:No hardware firewall blocking any port nor firewall software. Any workarounds that you have found:At this moment, no..

• 1. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
          rmanook

Hi FrancescoScarpa,

Thanks for posting.  Also, thanks for providing some great detail about your issue.

Let's try the following:

-In the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, remove the Admin Console.  

-If java 6 update 11 is installed, let's remove that (FMS 10 is only tested and certified with java 6 update 7 at this time). -Also, let's remove and reinstall java 6 update 7.  

-Reboot machine 

-Next, clear the browser cache. 

-Verify ports 16000, 16001, and 16004 are open

-Launch Admin Console

Afterward, another good test would involve booting the machine into MSCONFIG mode.  That is:

Run > MSCONFIG > Services tab > Hide All MS Services checkbox > Disable All > Apply > Close > Reboot.  This is to verify that there are no other third party applications/services interfering with FileMaker Server.  Please note, however, that you will need to run MSCONFIG ... Enable All ... to get your machine back to its original state.

Also, are we accessing the Admin Console locally or on a client machine? Have multiple browsers been tried?  Were both of your tests single machine configurations?  If it is a multiple machine configuration, are both the database server and web publishing engine on the same network?

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
            FrancescoScarpa

Hello, thank you for reply.

I have installed FMS10 on two different server (2003 std. edition R2).

Both using java 6.7 and 6.11 (first time I started fms10 and it works I was asked to download 6.11..).

I try to load admin console directly on the host machine (Explorer 7) and from client calling the host IP number on TCP 16000 (explorer and firefox). every operation failed.

I uninstalled latest update (windows and java going back to 6.7 and rebooted machines): fmsa10 on TCP port 16000 still unresponsive and both server are dedicated to FMSA10 (no other services except windows default).

Now - as suggested by Filemaker italian support - I have formatted and reinstalled MS 2003 std. edition R2 from scratch, as soon as possible I will let You know if this solved my problem.

Otherwise I will try to boot machine into MSCONFIG mode.

A little consideration: FMS9 and FMS10 - I think - run almost the same services and are listening on the same TCP port (5003 and 16000/16004) but - on the same machine - FMS9 console works properly while FMS10 didn't even start.. is there any specific motivation for this strange behaviour?

• 3. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
              FrancescoScarpa

I reinstalled OS from scratch (Win 2003 server std. edition R2 and all the updates available till now) and surprisingly it works.

In fact filemaker server required java 6.7 (available through setup.exe and self installing) and bonjour 10.5.

The only difference between this server and the current primary filemaker server (running version 9) is Bonjour version by the way: it runs 10.6.

Could be this the key of this issue?

• 4. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                FrancescoScarpa

I discovered the problem: it seems that the latest update of Norman Antivirus (my version is 5.9) block the services listening on loalhost:16000. The FMS10 services: FMS9 didn't seems to have this problem because the Console of FMS9 runs properly.

I uninstalled NVC 5.9 and FMS10 now works.

I need to know which AV should I install to protect my server and let FMS10 Console run (i added FM directory into the exceptions list of NVC but it block it anyway).

• 5. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                  FrancescoScarpa

Hello,

tsturtle wrote:

Hi FrancescoScarpa,

Thanks for posting.  Also, thanks for providing some great detail about your issue.

I would like to add some information.

after discorver Norman AV 5.9 issue, i would like to add this EventViewer log

"Event Type: Error
                  Event Source: FMSocket_SL55
                  Event Category: None
                  Event ID: 0
                  Date:  23/02/2009
                  Time:  12.24.32
                  User:  N/A
                  Computer: SERVERBACKUP
                  Description:
                  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( FMSocket_SL55 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
                  FMSocket_SL55@localhost,ErrorCode=3021,ErrorMessage=Internal error, unable to load the server configuration file %s..
                  "

Any idea or suggestion?

• 7. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                    pat_pai

Im also experiencing the same problem as the OP. The server looks buggy and does what the OP mentioned aboved.

Cant close databases from console, users cant connect to some of the databases, but not all.

Some clients loose the database list available from the "Open remote" menu option when using their clients.

Its a big mess.....

Only work around i've found so far is a re-boot of my server. Problem with that is that its aproduction server.

Can we get an idea of what to look for in order to get rid of this error code in the event viewer.

My server does not have anything higher then Java 6 update 7 installed.

I also get this in my event viewer log: (same as OP)

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( FMSocket_SL55 )
                    cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
                    information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
                    You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
                    see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
                    FMSocket_SL55@localhost,ErrorCode=3021,ErrorMessage=Internal error,
                    unable to load the server configuration file %s..

========================================= 

Please advise on a way to fix this please.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                      TSGal

patpai:

Thank you for your post.

This "deafness" of the Admin Console has been an ongoing problem.  We still do not know what causes this problem, even though it happened to us once last March.  We are continuing to monitor this, and we would like to see your log files.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send those files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                        pat_pai
                           thnak you TSGal, i will look at your intrunctions right now. Its a very unnusual problem for sure.
                        • 10. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                          BrianPanhuyzen

Has there been any resolution to this issue, and if so, what?

I can't get into the Admin Console on my Windows 2003 server. The FMP server is running fine for users to connect, but the console refuses to start, whether I try it on the local machine or from external machines (either running Windows or Mac OS X).

Server is up-to-date as of today, with v2 installed.

I have dozens of users on our film festival database desperately processing entries, so there's no way I can monkey around restarting and reinstalling components. I also have to do an update of another critical database, but cannot do so if I can't get into the console to take it offline.

This is, to say the least, an exceedingly inconvenient situation.

I do not have any Norton products running on this server.

• 11. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                            pat_pai

I would have to say that if you experience any of the above errors, you might need to restart the server in order to re-initialize the server properlly.

If you keep users on right now, with the above errors, i would fear to loose data. When i was testing the databases on my server, it was not looking good for users and some lost some data.

I think an emergency restart might be required now and i would say to clients to revise some if not all data entries made since the day you got the above errors. Because it could come bck corrupted.

I don't want to alarm you but if you have it as bad as i did, i would be afraid to loose alot of data inputs.

Also,

After restart, i did what a few mentioned aboved already, i disabled the "Enable ODBC/JDBC" check box and made sure i didnt have the ODBC/JDBC enabled under "Server Plug-ins".

Ive been monitoring since then for 2 months and i'm not geting any of the following FMSocket_SL55 in my Event logs on the server.

Hope this helps you out a litle until we get an official patch for this :)

• 12. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                              BrianPanhuyzen

I did restart, once in the morning yesterday, and then in the evening. The problem persists. If I try to open the console directly, the splash screen appears for a few seconds, and then disappears. If I do it through a web browser (http://localhost:16000), it attempts to connect perpetually (no error message, just status showing that it's trying to connect).

If I do attempt to connect, then later (any time later) shut down the FileMaker Server service, I get a "connection refused "error message:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequestEX(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.isUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.isUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(UnknownSource)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

To update the one database, I had to shut down the FMS service and replace the database in question after the export/import process, then put it back and restart the service.

• 13. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                                pat_pai

Well im assuming you're running FMP server 10?

I think you are im just not sure.

It used to be buggy as well for me when i was running FMP 9 server.

Had issues like you're describing with GUI not connecting to the server properlly.

But im just spit balling here, but if you do happen to have 9, then i could give you the work aroun in fixing that GUI bug interface on FMP 9 server.

If you have 10, you difinitly sounds like you're in a bigger jam :(

• 14. Re: FMS 10 Console Failed to start
                                  BrianPanhuyzen

I'm running 10v2 Advanced Server under Window 2003 64-bit.