1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:30 PM by ashlymg

FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.

philmodjunk

Summary

FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.

Description of the issue

System Info: FMS 10.0.2, Windows Server 2008 System has three schedules (2 back up schedules and 1 server side script). This Sunday, (Business is closed on a Sunday, no clients were connected), the first schedule, a scheduled backup that backs up a single file and then verifies it, started running as scheduled but never completed. (Log shows when schedule started, does not show "back up completed" nor does it log that any verification took place.) According to the log, each of the other two schedules then started as scheduled but also never completed. Examination of the hosted database shows that the scheduled script performed correctly and completely. Checking back up directories shows that neither scheduled back up generated any folders or files. At this point, the database was serving all clients correctly and I allowed the server to stand untouched until the end of the business day. No clients experienced any problems with the hosted database files. The admin console was locked showing the status at the time the first backup was started. (It still showed zero users connected.) To fix the problem I then attempted the following: I tried using admin console to close all open databases. The console was unresponsive and users who were currently logged on did not receive any messages warning them that the database was shutting down nor did the databases shut down. I closed and re-opened console but there was no change. I then used Windows Services to attempt to shut down the filemaker server service. After a progress bar slowly filled in, I got the following error message:"Error 1053 Could not stop service. Service did not respond in a timely fashion to a shut down or start up event..." I then used the task manager to examine the status of the Filemaker Server Service and it showed a status of "stopping". I then restarted the server computer. Windows was able to successfully stop the filemaker server service and restarted. Filemaker Server Service successfully started and opened each of its hosted files after a long stretch spent verifying a rather large hosted file (2+ GB). This has now happened on two separate dates with several weeks of normal operation in between. The files all backed up and verified normally last night. If you want my log files, let me know and I'll send them in.

• 1. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I would like to look at your log files and possibly a clone of the solution file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
            jp3

Has there been any progress on this?  I'm experience the same problem, running FMS Advanced 10.0.2.206 on Windows Server 2003.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  This is happening to me constantly.  I can't cancel the backup or force close the databases.  If no one is using the database and I just restart the server, am I going to lose data?  Because I have no other option that I know of, and this just keeps happening.

I'm very frustrated with this.  It's wasting significant time that needs to be spent on other projects.  

• 3. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
              TSGal

jp3:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are still investigating why the Admin Console is going "deaf", and no additional information is available at this time.

To close your database files, go to the Command Line and enter:

fmsadmin close

This will close all database files.

fmsadmin stop server

This will stop the server.  You can then reboot.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                jp3

Before I posted today I tried to close just one database at the command line with the following:

fmsadmin close -f (name of the database)

confirmed i wanted to do it, entered my username and password, and then nothing

Hours later, I hit Ctrl-C to bring me back to the command prompt, and tried again with

fmsadmin close (name of database)

same thing... nothing happens.

Should I be expecting anything different when trying to close all of the databases at once?

• 5. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                  TSGal

jp3:

This is a bit different than the Admin Console going deaf.  This sounds like the server is locked up.

Are any clients currently able to access the server and open a shared file?  If not, then the server is definitely locked and requires a reboot.

Do all log entries stop after a certain time?  If so, what time did the backup begin, and what time was the last entry?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                    jp3

TSGal:

Clients are able to access the server and open databases without any problem.

Last log entries:

2010-02-03 23:03:03 Schedule "Daily" completed

2010-02-03 23:03:03 Schedule "Daily" scheduled for 02/04/2010 11:00 PM

2010-02-04 23:00:00 Schedule "Daily" running 

And then two log entries from today that state "administrator connected" from today.

There have been users accessing and using the database without a problem since then.  But no backups.

• 7. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                      philmodjunk

This is exactly the issue reported at the beginning of this thread.

The best fix that I've been able to accomplish so far is to wait until all users are logged off and then restart the server. This is dangerous to file integrity and you have to wait for server to finish running consistancy checks all all the hosted files, but once done, your files are back up and backups take place again--until they don't and then you have to do this again. Part of my morning routine is to check my server's back up directories to confirm back ups took place for this very reason. If the back ups don't take place, I know that I'm staying after close of business to restart a server.

• 8. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                        danshockley

My client is having the same problem with FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206 running on Windows Server 2008.

The Admin Console shows multiple schedules all "Running." The oldest one is an Hourly backup for 3/24 at 5:00 PM. The hourly backup before it, for 3/24 at 4:00 PM ran successfully (the files and folder exist in the backup directory), but the 5:00 PM Hourly never even started to write files (or even create a folder). Then, every schedule since then says "Running" but never did anything. 

The Log Viewer agrees with this. Other than the Admin Console connections, it shows the 3/24 5:00 PM Hourly starting (after the previous hourly finished with success), then nothing until the next schedule starts "running." None of those shown as still "Running" actually worked.

Client CAN and do log in and make changes that persist. They log in, edit, create, and delete records. They log out. They log back in, and all of the changes they made ARE there. So, apparently FileMaker Server is running and keeping changes in some fashion. 

Opening the Services app on Windows Server 2008 indicates that FileMaker Server is Stopped. Clearly not true, but it appears that nothing on the server itself can communicate with the FileMaker Server process. 

Finally, the command prompt function FMSadmin cannot successfully control the process either. It cannot LIST clients or files. It cannot close files. When I try: fmsadmin close -m "Please log out."  - I get the confirmation message asking if I really want to close the databases. I say yes (by typing the letter y), hit return, type in the user and password, hit return, and get a blank line. It doesn't do anything. I can say that, despite not being able to see the activity in the log because I have a client logged in at the time - no message pops up and the files remain hosted and available. 

So, should I tell this all-Windows client to abandon Windows Server 2008 and buy a Mac? They'd be able to drop the stupid per-client Windows Server fees. Maybe they'd even get a sane server situation. Or, is FileMaker Server for Mac OS X just as wacky?

Any advice on anything that can be done to avoid this happening in the future? I can't imagine what happened between the successful backup on 3/24 at 4:00 PM and the failure at 5:00 PM. No errors were reported in the log, just "Running." The backup drive has 45 GB of free space, so that isn't it. 

Any idea why every possible interface to control the FileMaker Server process can't reach it? Admin Console, fmsadmin command line interface, even the Services program. 

I hope to avoid telling the client they have to live like PhilModJunk describes in his post: having a ritual built around a completely unreliable database server. They thought they had escaped from that when they shelled out the money for a brand new server and upgraded from FileMaker 5.5/6.0 to FileMaker 10. I'd hate to tell them they got wonderful new features, but only a brief respite from having to live in fear of data loss. 

• 9. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                          philmodjunk

Just had to shut down and re-start the server yet again. My boss is getting increasingly irate over this. Any word at all on a possible update for FMS 10? (The thought of having to shell out $$ for FMS11 just to fix a bug really makes his blood boil :smileymad: )

• 10. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                            jp3

Yes, what is the status of this?  This is a serious flaw in FileMaker.  The databases I'm working with have so much data that there is no way of knowing what's getting corrupted.

It's been seven months since this discussion was first posted.  Phil's boss isn't the only one whose blood is boiling.

• 11. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                              JeremyGarman

I can confirm this behavior happenning on FileMaker Server 11 on Windows Server 2003 64-bit running FM as 32-bit. This is a test machine so I can manipulate however I need to.

Unable to Schedule scripts in console.

Found scheduled backup hanging as running.

Able to Access admin console.

Able to connect as client though this does not show in Admin console.

Admin console will not close files. No Response

Command Line will not close files. fmsadmin close results in Error 10502 

Admin console will not shutdown server.

Restarted Adminserver fmsadmin restart adminserver. Now can't connect to console.

Tried restart of Database server using command line fmsadmin restart server. Paused 15 seconds. No Error. did not restart server.

Tried check of file status using command line. error 10502

Tried stop of Database server using command line. Pause 15 seconds. No Error. Did not stop server.

Tried starting Database server Error 10006.

Tried restarting FileMaker Server Windows Service. Error 1053 Windows would not stop in a timely fashion.

Still able to connect to hosted databases.

FileMaker Server 11 Advanced Admin Console Splash screen shows for a while but console never starts.

Terminated FileMaker Server Processes server, helper, admin, xbdclistener

Let me know if you need more information about this.

• 12. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                                jp3

Has anyone heard anything on this?  It's been ten months since the first post in this thread, and there's yet to be any answer.  I'm trying to be polite, but this is really frustrating.

• 13. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                                  philmodjunk

There's been a back and forth on this over several different threads. Filemaker says that Filemaker 11 fixes this issue "90% of the time"--whatever that means.

• 14. Re: FMS 10 scheduled back up starts but never completes. Winserver 2008.
                                    jp3

Thank you Phil.  Have you tried upgrading?  Not my favorite approach, frankly, because upgrading from 9 to 10 created this problem.  I can only imagine what 10 to 11 is going to cause.

1 2 Previous Next