FMS 11 Admin Console hangs

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11v2

Operating system version

Windows 2008 Server

Description of the issue

After moving databases from a FMS 10 server to a FMS 11 server (Windows 2008 Server) on 11/4/2010, the FMS Admin Console data appears frozen in the past - the day the databases were moved.  Only clients connected at the time of the move 11/4/2010 are displayed.  Statistics are frozen in the past.  Schedule jobs "Last Completed" and "Next Run" are frozen in the past, although the Windows event log shows that some of the scheduled jobs are running daily.

The FMS Admin Server was restarted on 11/10 which corrected the issue temporarily.  However, the clients connected, statistics and scheduled jobs are now again frozen in the past (11/12) again.  Restarting the FMS Admin Server corrects that data.

Why is the happening?  How can this be avoided?

• 1. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
          TSGal

Fred Marker:

Thank you for your post.

When the Admin Console is frozen, are clients still able to connect to the files?  I just want to clarify that Admin Console is frozen and not FileMaker Server.

If only Admin Console is frozen, then download a new version of the Admin Console by launching a browser and entering the URL:

http://127.0.0.1:16000

If you are running Admin Console from a different machine from the server, then replace 127.0.0.1 with the IP Address of the server.

The Admin Console is also a Java application, so make sure you have the latest Java installed on the machine where Admin Console will be running.

If Admin Console freezes, see if you can stop Admin Console and restart it without restarting the server.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
            fmarker

When the Admin Console is fozen, all of the databases are still accessible - clients can connect and use the databases.  Scheduled jobs run but don't update the Admin Console.

This is not limited to a single PC.  Anywhere the Admin Console is launched even computers that have never run Admin Console before, the Admin Console appears frozen.

• 3. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
              TSGal

Fred Marker:

Thank you for the additional information.

We have had several reports of the Admin Console becoming unresponsive (deaf).  Unfortunately, we have had difficulty reproducing this issue.  In FileMaker Server 11, we added the ability to restart Admin Console without having to reboot the server.

How many database files are open?  How many clients are typically connected?  What is the maximum number of clients connected at peak times?  What version of Java is installed on one of the machines where Admin Console is (in)active?

Any other information you can provide that will help us reproduce the issue would be appreciated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
                fmarker

Approx 80 databases are hosted on this Windows 2008 server.  Typically about 28 clients are connected simultaneously.  The peak client load is 47.

Java 6 Update 22 is the current version.

I can't intentially reproduce the problem.  It happens so often that I have scheduled a daily job to restart the Admin Console on the FM server.

• 5. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
                  TSGal

Fred Marker:

I apologize for the late reply.

The next time this occurs, our Testing team would like to see your log files and Tomcat/Catalina log files.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send these files.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 11 Admin Console hangs
                    TSGal

Fred Marker:

I received your log files.  Thank you.

I have sent the files to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.