2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 4:25 PM by JeffInTokyo

FMS 11, FileMaker Admin Application does not launch, maybe due to Java Incompatibility

JeffInTokyo

Summary

FMS 11, FileMaker Admin Application does not launch, maybe due to Java Incompatibility

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

FMS 11 V1 and V2

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 SP2 -- 64 bit

Description of the issue

The problem I have is exactly like described here:
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/154915e6a2
      Except the version of FMS and OS are different.

Basically, I am installing FMS V11 on a Windows 2008 Server SP2 OS (64 bit). The install occurs ok (V1 and the V2 updater), however the Admin Console never starts up after the install complete. Now matter how the Admin Console is launched (web, Explorer, or cmd line) the program wont launch.

I believe this is due to incompatible versions of Java that were installed from other software packages (Adobe Coldfusion Server9 & MySQL).  Coldfusion installs a 64 bit version of Java, and FMS installs a 32 bit version of it.

It would be great if someone at FileMaker Inc can install these apps and reproduce this problem. If this is a Java incompatibility problem as I suspect, it would be nice to see some steps from FileMaker Support Team on how to fix this problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem

These are the rough steps
      1. Install Windows Server 2008 SP2 64 bit
      2. Install Cold Fusion 9 (64 bit) & MySQL
      3. Install FileMaker Server 11V1

At this point, I expected the FM Admin Console to launch

4. I updated Filemaker Server from v1 to V2 using the Updater.
      Problem still occurs

Expected result

The FileMaker Admin Console launches after install is complete.

Actual result

Admin Console does not launch. After 60 seconds, a failure page displays suggesting to check the documentation. All futher attempts to launch the Admin Console do not work (web page, double click in Explorer, launch from cmd line).

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Checking the application logs, I see an event ID 107.

Configuration information

Windows Server 2008 SP2 64 Bit. CPU Speed 3 GHz. 1 TB of disk.
      FileMaker Server 11v2 – 11.0.2.217  <-- Updated via V2 Updater
      Bonjour 2.0.0.34
      Apple SW Update 2.1.1.116
      Java 6 Update 20            <-- Used by FileMaker??
      Java 6 Update 21 (64 bit)    <-- Used by Coldfusion
      Java SE Development Kit (64 bit)
      McAfee Agent
      MySQL Server 5.1
      Coldfusion Server 9
      IIS 7

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: FMS 11, FileMaker Admin Application does not launch, maybe due to Java Incompatibility
          TSGal

JeffInTokyo:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Although some time has passed, if you have not resolved this issue, I would strip down to the basics and start again.  Essentially, I would install Windows and then install FileMaker Server 11.0v1.  Do not install Cold Fusion and MySQL at this time.  Also, make sure you do not install Java 6 Update 24 (even if it is disabled and resides on the machine), as Admin Console will not launch.

If this works, then install MySQL and verify everything works properly.  After that, then install Cold Fusion.  Since FileMaker Server is recommended to run on a dedicated machine, it very may well be that there is a conflict with Cold Fusion and FileMaker Server.

If the issue is resolved, please post here so others can benefit.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 11, FileMaker Admin Application does not launch, maybe due to Java Incompatibility
            JeffInTokyo

Thanks TSGal,

I resolved this last month. Good suggestion to run on a dedicated machine.

After a lot of tinkering and re-installing of software. I finally decided to use VMWare to install a virtual server.  The host still runs Window Server 2008 64 bit with Coldfusion, IIS & MySQL. The virtual server runs a 32 bit version of Windows Server 2008 and FM 11 Server only. Whole thing now works like a charm.

Looking forward to that 64 bit version of FMS someday. :-)

Thanks,

JeffInTokyo