1 2 3 Previous Next 160 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 8:29 AM by TSGal

FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)

VincentL

Summary

FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.3

Description of the issue

Hi,

Today, it's the 4th time since I deployed FMS 13 that The database server closes itself.

The admin is ok, the other services are one, only the database server.

Databse server on/off button is greyed out off

File re-open without control checking (so not corrupted apparently).

Nothing in Filemaker logs.
      But in system log there's a crash report.

You can find them here
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkcbjrsch2d29d1/FM13_Crash.zip

I noticed that just 1 second before the crash, there was a spotlight crash (not sure if previous crash were the same)

04/06/2014 17:20:17,312 ReportCrash[49463]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
      04/06/2014 17:20:18,616 ReportCrash[49463]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[648] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-04-172018_FMPServer.crash

this seems consistent with a report in technet
      https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/149657

Steps to reproduce the problem

None identified

Hosting the database
      Scheduled backups every 10 minutes
      Progressive backup every 5 minutes

Expected result

No crash

Actual result

Random crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

See system crash log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkcbjrsch2d29d1/FM13_Crash.zip

Nothing in filemaker logs.

Configuration information

My server has fast user switching users, connected with screen sharing. But not busy though

• 1. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
          TSGal

Vincent L:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your post, crash reports, and TechNet link to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
            TSGal

Vincent L:

Here is the information from the Tester:

05-20 file shows a crash when FileMaker Server is trying to request Globals record from a client.

05-21 crash when attempting to lock or pause database during a Backup.

05-30 crash when attempting to unlock on resume at end of a Backup.

06-04 crash during an attempt to lock indexes during a joint for a client.

The information has been sent to Development for additional review.  I'll continue to keep you updated.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
              VincentL

Thanks for the update.

If I can do something to help

I guess we agree it shouldn't crash anyways.

• 4. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                VincentL

Hi,

Another crash this morning 6:59 AM. User not happy :-(

Here's the crash log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6gwwhlni1fl8r6/another_crash.zip

Still the spotlight alert just before. BUT, this time I made sure to exclude, the backup folder, the hosting folder, and Filemaker Server folder in library from spotlight. So no folder used by FMP are submitted to spotlight.

09/06/2014 06:59:16,567 ReportCrash[27872]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
                     09/06/2014 06:59:18,435 ReportCrash[27872]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[682] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-09-065918_FMPServer.crash

• 5. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                  TSGal

Vincent L:

I have forwarded your latest crash report to the Tester.

Initial reports is that you are encountering an infinite loop.  Development is still analyzing why this is occurring.  I'll continue to keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                    VincentL

HI TSGal,

I think the infinite loop is in the 05-20 and 05-21

I probably shouldn't have submitted those because there was an infinite loop

It was a relationship sorted by an unstored field that was using that relationship. Oddly, besides slowness of the table, it wasn't a problem in FMS11, will in 13 this cause problems.

But in may 25 I corrected that problem. So now the reports from may 30 onward shouldn't have infinite loop problem

P.S : but maybe infinite loop, should be handled more nicely.

• 7. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                      bigtom

I have been having a very similar, if not the same, problem and I am following this. If you need any of my crash logs or other info let me know. There is some information on my TechNet discussion which was referenced earlier.

• 8. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                        TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

Thank you for your post.

I would definitely like to see your crash reports.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file(s).

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                          VincentL

Just now, another Crash !

12/06/2014 18:18:42,961 ReportCrash[59353]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
                               12/06/2014 18:18:44,221 ReportCrash[59353]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[702] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-12-181844_FMPServer.crash

• 10. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                            VincentL
                                 Moreover,

I relog-in in the admin, and restarted the server. Database opened. 

BUT admin is still showing connected client, while they're not. Invoking client list on terminal reports no client connected but ADMIN (even after several logout / login) shows Clients still connected.
                            • 11. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                              TSGal

Vincent L:

Thanks for the crash report and screen shot.  Both have been forwarded to Development and Testing for review.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                                VincentL

Yet another Crash,

18/06/2014 13:43:06,744 ReportCrash[18498]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
                                     18/06/2014 13:43:10,999 ReportCrash[18498]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[1565] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-18-134310_FMPServer.crash

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cbi4uz1o3omj2o/fmserverd_2014-06-18-134310_FMPServer.crash.zip

• 13. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                                  TSGal

Vincent L:

I have downloaded and forwarded the crash report to Development and Testing.  I'll let you know when I receive any feedback.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FMS 13 crashes - database server (fmserverd)
                                    bigtom

All had been fine for me for a while, but I had two crashes today. With very similar conditions again.

Why has there been no update on this? You will have my crash reports shortly.

I also experienced the same issue with the clients still showing logged in even when they were not after stopping and starting the server process via terminal and logging in and out. The only fix was to stop the Filemaker server process in terminal and shut down the power to the server machine and restart.

fmserverd[19707]: fmserverd(19707,0x11989f000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=59074891485184) failed (error code=3)
                                         *** error: can't allocate region
                                         *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                                         ReportCrash[82067]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
                                         ReportCrash[82067]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[19707] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-27-122958_Server-Mac-mini.crash

fmserverd[280]: fmserverd(280,0x10f73f000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=59074891485184) failed (error code=3)
                                         *** error: can't allocate region
                                         *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                                         ReportCrash[814]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
                                         ReportCrash[814]: Saved crash report for fmserverd[280] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fmserverd_2014-06-27-141212_Server-Mac-mini.crash

1 2 3 Previous Next