FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

v14.02

Operating system version

Windows 2012 R2

Description of the issue

Existing solution running v13.09, functionality broke after upgrading to FMS v14.0.2 in WebDirect only.

In our solution there are download buttons that trigger the "Export Field Contents" script step. These are used to download JPG and ZIP files. Under 13.09 and prior versions the buttons worked fine. After upgrading to FMS v14.0.2, the buttons continued to work when accessing the database from FM 14.0.1 clients. However, if you access the database from a browser using WebDirect the buttons trigger the script step, show a pop-up to name the file and then show another pop-up with a button that is the name of the file to download. When you click on the button, it grays out and nothing happens. The only option is to press the "Close" button. No files are ever downloaded. I tested and replicated the behavior using Chrome v43.0.2357.134 and Safari v8.0.7 on two Macs running 10.10.4 on two different networks with identical results. All of our clients have also been unable to download any files using our buttons due to this issue.

I also tried reducing the filename size to just a few characters with no discernible effect.

In addition if you right-click on a jpg image and select "Export Field Contents" the same behavior occurs and no file is downloaded.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1 - Create a web container field in a database hosted by FMS v14.0.2

2 - Add a JPG or ZIP file

3 - Create a button to trigger a "Export Field Contents" script step and point it to the appropriate container field.

4 - Log in through FM client v14.0.1 and hit button. Export should work as expected.

5 - Then log in from Safari or Chrome on a Mac using WebDirect and issue should occur.

Expected result

File downloaded via browser and saved locally on client computer.

Actual result

No file is downloaded.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears.

Workaround

Desperately need a workaround for clients but have yet to find one.

• 1. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
          TSGal

Mac89:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a database file (Test.fmp12) with a Container field (Container) set for local storage.

2. I created a record, and inserted a JPEG file into the Container field.  This displays as expected.

3. I created a script, "TEST", as follows:
               Set Variable [ $path ; "filemac:" & Get (DesktopPath) & "TSGal.jpg" ]    // for different Macs.
               Export Field Contents [ Test::Container ; "$path" ]

4. I created a button on the script that executed the script "TEST".

5. I turned on Network Sharing and also configured for WebDirect.

6. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 14.0.2 running under Windows Server 2012 (I didn't have R2 immediately available to me).

7. I opened the file with FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.1, clicked the button, and the file is downloaded to the Desktop.

8. I launched Chrome, and connected to the host via WebDirect.

9. I opened the file, clicked the button, and the file downloaded to the Desktop.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can try to replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
            ToddJardine
            Summary:
            FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step  - SAME ISSUE
            Product:
            FileMaker Server
            Version:
            v14.02
            Operating system version:
            Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
            Description of the issue:
            Were able to download PDFs previously saved in a container fields (container data not stored externally). Now after upgrading to v14.02, PDF not longer download.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
            Workaround:
            We also are looking for a workaround ASAP.  Thank you.
            • 3. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
              TSGal

Todd Jardine:

Thank you for your post.

What occurs when you try to download?  Do you get an error message?  If so, what is the error message?

Is the Container field set for Interactive Content?

Are you viewing PDF files?  If so, what application is being used to view PDF files?  What version?

What version of FileMaker Server were you using previously?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                ToddJardine

All "Block Popups" have been disabled

Previously was using FM Server 13 newest version.

When downloading all dialog box appear including the very last one - after that nothing - no download, no errors.

Yes set to Interactive but tested both modes interactive and non-interactive and both do not work.  To my knowledge, interactive status is not relevant when running the Export Field Content directly in FMP.

Adobe Acrobat reader is installed on PC, using default PDF on the mac.  Note having a PDF viewer may also not be relevant to this issue, since the files will not download at all  

issue has been tested in Safari, IE, and Firefox (mac and pc) - all have the same issue.

Please review the video screenshot of the issue.  Please click on the link to view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qn1r750h8yoxb3/WEBDIRECTISSUE_07_28_15.mov?dl=0

I have also opened a case on this with FileMaker tech support.  The case number is 150728-000004

Note: Export Records however is working.  When script is run on WebDirect exported (in this case XLS) file will download to browser download folder.

Todd Jardine

• 5. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                  TSGal

Todd Jardine:

I am still unable to replicate the issue with hosting a file with FileMaker Server 14.0.2 and accessing the file via WebDirect (Chrome and Internet Explorer).  This is what I have done:

1. I created a database file with a Container field.

2. I inserted a PDF file into the Container field.

3. I created a script with one script step:  Export Field Contents [ <Container Field> ; "filemac:a.pdf" ]

4. In FileMaker Pro, I tested the script and it worked as expected.

5. I set the file for FileMaker Sharing and for WebDirect access.

6. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 14.0.2.

7. I opened the file via WebDirect, ran the script, and the file was downloaded to the Downloads folder.  I could then open a.pdf.

Try the above steps with a new file.  This will let me know if there is a system issue, a file issue, or a FileMaker Server issue.  Also, make sure all the necessary ports are open as per Knowledge Base Article #14402:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14402

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                    ToddJardine

Found out some addition information

Out FMP server is installed on the C: drive, but the data files are stored on the F: drive.

From how I see the Webdirect works, during the web direct call for a container download it quickly transfers a copy of the file (pdf in this case) from the data files source folder, to the HTTPserver\conf folder where is available to web direct and then can be downloaded from the browser. 

Well I did some digging.....

I took a look at the Event Viewer.  IIS is blocking this transfer and gives the following:

Application information: 

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-1-130825917209847547 
                        Trust level: Full 
                        Application Virtual Path: / 
                        Application Path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\HTTPServer\conf\ 
                        Machine name: SERVER-FMP 

Process information: 
                        Process ID: 3004 
                        Process name: w3wp.exe 
                        Account name: IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool 

Exception information: 
                        Exception type: HttpException 
                        Exception message: A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (?).
                       at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateInputIfRequiredByConfig()
                       at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ValidateHelper(HttpContext context)

Request information: 
                        Request URL: http://192.168.73.217/Streaming/Additional_1/9F1AFAD11F0335B90981D92A02B1F699?SessionKey=9F1AFAD11F0335B90981D92A02B1F699&RCType=RCFileProcessor 
                        Request path: /Streaming/Additional_1/9F1AFAD11F0335B90981D92A02B1F699?SessionKey=9F1AFAD11F0335B90981D92A02B1F699&RCType=RCFileProcessor 
                        User host address: 192.168.73.217 
                        User:  
                        Is authenticated: False 
                        Authentication Type:  
                        Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool 

Thread information: 
                        Thread ID: 152 
                        Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool 
                        Is impersonating: False 
                        Stack trace:    at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateInputIfRequiredByConfig()
                       at System.Web.HttpApplication.PipelineStepManager.ValidateHelper(HttpContext context)

Looks like an IIS issue.  When C: is the root install, but the DB files reside in another volume (F: for us), how should IIS be modified so that it allows the web direct transfer?

Note: We did not have this issue when we tested on our dev server.  There the root install and file locations were the same.

Todd Jardine

• 7. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                      ToddJardine

Issue resolved (with some great help from the fmDisc community!).   FMPA 13 was also installed on the production server thus .NET was installed.  Uninstalled and the Export From Field is functioning correct on WebDirect.

Todd Jardine

• 8. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                        TSGal

Todd Jardine:

Thank you for the additional information.  Our Development and Testing departments also discovered this resolution, as well as from FMDisc and FMPExperts.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                          CB

Hi, this looks like a similar problem we are encountering. But Im confused. As a resolution, did you deinstall .NET (4.5) of FMPA 13 on the server?

• 10. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                            ToddJardine

Yes, I uninstalled .NET on the FMPS 14 server and that resolved the issue.

Todd Jardine

• 11. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                              CB

Thanks for the quick reply Todd. I'm a bit hesitant to do that because when i uninstall .NET as a feature it will also remove other dependencies like the ISS management tool. See attachment. One difference with you, I'm on Windows 2012 Standard edition.

• 12. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                                ToddJardine

Yes I see.  Fortunately we are on Windows Server 2008.  This is an issue that FMP will need to address.  We shouldn't have to disable certain important features of the Windows server OS in order to get FMPS or WebDirect to work correctly.

Todd Jardine

• 13. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                                  CB

You sure about that? Because you stated Windows 2012 R2 in your message. I am too desperately trying to find a workaround for our clients. Can FileMaker recommend on this issue? I can't find anything about disabling .NET on Windows 2012 as best practice and I think it is part of the default installation of Windows 2012

• 14. Re: FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step & Right-Click
                                    ToddJardine

Yes positive.  You must have been looking at the original message in this thread by Mac89

I stated that we were on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

This was my original comment.

Summary:
                                    FMS 14 Breaks WebDirect Export Field Contents Script Step  - SAME ISSUE
                                    Product:
                                    FileMaker Server
                                    Version:
                                    v14.02
                                    Operating system version:
                                    Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
                                    Description of the issue:
                                    Were able to download PDFs previously saved in a container fields (container data not stored externally). Now after upgrading to v14.02, PDF not longer download.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
                                    Workaround:
                                    We also are looking for a workaround ASAP.  Thank you.

1 2 3 Previous Next