Summary

FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OSX 9.5

Description of the issue

I am experiencing a sever problem with the release version of 14.01 where it sees itself as already using the install code and therefore fails to open or worse still closes down. I have raised it with support and understand it has been forwarded to the Wedge.
      I also gather I am far from the only person with this problem.
      I'm told this is very similar to a problem in 13.05 fixed in 13.09 but for me at least the workaround that worked then does not work for my server.
      http://filemaker-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14127

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install server and certificate. Reboot and try to turn on server

Expected result

working server

Actual result

Server that won't host and worse still (quite frightening) worked for a few hour yesterday - then spontaneously stopped serving

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Another copy of FileMaker Server s183.nameoffmyserver.com (s183.nameoffmyserver.com) is already running with this license. This copy of FileMaker Server will not open any databases, but will allow updating the license key or configuring for standby server.

Configuration information

Files have been uploaded to support

Workaround

Please can you confirm this mission critical problem is being addressed?

• 1. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself

Crispin:

Thank you for the post.

This is to confirm for others reading that this is an issue we are currently tracking. 

Technical Support does not charge for installation issues. Like Crispin has already done, anyone else who encounters this issue should contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
            Crispin

I don't know if this helps but I now have a second server that will not run because the 'install code is already in use'. This machine is similar to the first machine but this one only has one ethernet connection.

The machine was fine straight after the GoDaddy certificate was installed but not fine when the machine was rebooted.

• 3. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
              philmodjunk

Is the Server OS significant or can this happen with any Server OS? (This reports refers to a Mac server...)

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

And to forestall some complaints, this is labeled as "nuisance" because it poses no discernable threat to the database files themselves. Obviously, it's a very serious issue.

• 4. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                Crispin

Your system Phil but I really cannot see how something totally not working and nothing we can do about it could be called a 'nuisance'.

• 5. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                  philmodjunk

Read the explanation for the terms used as found in the first layout of the database or the top post of the known bug list threads. This is for a "Risk level" designation, not for an "importance level" designation. This issue poses no risk to your data or database file so it get's the lowest rating level.

Any bug can be of critical importance to one user and of no importance at all to another so I don't see any way to rank bugs by "importance". But I can provide a rough estimate as to how likely a bug is to trash either your file or the data that it stores--but even this is a far from perfect ranking system and, as far as I know, has no influence on what priority FileMaker Inc. might put on correcting any given issue.

• 6. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                    NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

It makes sense to classify bugs on their "Risk level"to database data. But since your database is the only one available on FMP bugs, what about adding another classification scale based on "Loss of Functionality" or something similar?

An example of "loss of funcionality" or "loss of usability" would be the reported: "FMPA14 Script step line jumping" at: FMPA14 Script step line jumping

Even though your databse may not influence FMI, it certainly influences upgrade actions of many FMP users. So what about adding more info that summarizes how the bug will impact FMP user's productivity and usability?

Just to give you an example, FMP 13 acknowledged issue on DPI settings in Windows OS was the bug on what I based my decission not to upgrade. And I am glad that I made that choice.

• 7. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself

@PhilModJunk:

Is the Server OS significant or can this happen with any Server OS?”

We have seen reports on both Mac and Windows. 

@All:

Again we would like to emphasize that anyone experiencing this issue to please contact technical support, so we can gather as much information as possible.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                        Crispin

I don't know if this provides new information but I can stop the duplicate install problem by disabling the custom certificate by renaming it with an x at the front (xcustomServer.pem) and rebooting. I am using a GoDaddy certificate OS X type and the file it produces with only one -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- section (the other has two)

• 9. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                          Crispin

I'm informed this is a Mac only issue. Support tell me the current fix is to use the 30 day trial install code which by design does not check for duplicates. However I am waiting to hear what  happens should FileMaker not have a fix by the end of the 30 days!

Without a plan B this sounds dangerous method of fixing the problem. Can FileMaker please confirm they have other codes that will release more time that do not check for duplicate installs?

• 10. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself

Crispin:

Thank you for the reply.

I'm informed this is a Mac only issue.”

That is not correct. As stated above, this issue occurs on both Mac and Windows.

Can FileMaker please confirm they have other codes that will release more time that do not check for duplicate installs?”

If you have already contacted Technical Support, then you have all the information we can provide. 

I can tell you we are actively working on this high priority issue. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself
                              Markus Schneider

FYI - there is a thread on communitiy.filemaker.com

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/84492

• 12. Re: FMS 14.01 licence key conflict with itself

@All:

FileMaker Server 14.0.2 has been released to address this issue. 

Software Update: FileMaker Server 14.0v2 release notes

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.