FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13.0v2

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter SP1

Description of the issue

After updating FileMaker Server 13.0v1 to 13.0v2, the FileMaker Server Admin console is no longer available.

Accessing remotely via https://servername.com:16000 returns "The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process".

Accessing internally via http://localhost:16001 shows the page unavailable.

Server monitoring returns an error as follows: Error     701     iatse     Admin Server process has terminated abnormally.

The databases themselves are available and functioning.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Download 13.0v2 update
      Close all open databases
      Stop WPE and Database Server
      Stop FileMaker Server Service
      Run installer
      Restart machine

Expected result

Ability to log in to FileMaker Server 13 admin console

Actual result

Returns either "The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process" (when accessed remotely) or "Page cannot be displayed" (accessed locally)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error     701     iatse     Admin Server process has terminated abnormally.

• 1. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update

Travis Green:

Thank you for the post.

From a browser on the server computer, test the following URL:

https://localhost:16000/

Does the FileMaker Server 13 Start Page fail to load? 

Does http://localhost/ load the "FileMaker Database Server Website"? 

If not, we may be having an issue interacting with IIS.

If none of those pages load: 

1. Redownload the full FileMaker Server 13.0v2 installer from your store email

2. Uninstall the following: 

FileMaker Server 13

IIS URL Rewrite Module
               Microsoft Application Request Routing
               Microsoft External Cache for IIS

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Web Farm Framework

3. Reinstall with the full FileMaker Server 13.0v2 installer.

The above steps will reinstall all of those components, and restore access to the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console. 

If the above does not resolve the issue, please let me know and we can discuss next steps. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
            travis360

Thanks a lot, TSFalcon.  We'll reinstall this evening.

Is there a public link for the full installer? I can't seem to find the original email.

Is there a way to save schedules/groups without access to Admin Console? I found this link, but it requires admin console:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12069/

Thanks!

• 3. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update

Travis Green:

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the only way to backup schedules and groups is using the FileMaker Server Admin Console. 

We do not have a public link to the full FileMaker Server 13.0v2 installer at this time; however, contact support and we can resend the store email and make sure the download links are active.

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                JoeFleck

Having the same exact issue. The crappy thing is support is closed today when I decided to do the update and now I can't revert to an old version.

From a browser on the server computer, test the following URL:

https://localhost:16000/

Does the FileMaker Server 13 Start Page fail to load? 

It fails to load for me.

Does http://localhost/ load the "FileMaker Database Server Website"? 

Yes

1. Redownload the full FileMaker Server 13.0v2 installer from your store email

Done

2. Uninstall the following: 

FileMaker Server 13

IIS URL Rewrite Module
                          Microsoft Application Request Routing
                          Microsoft External Cache for IIS

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Web Farm Framework

Done

3. Reinstall with the full FileMaker Server 13.0v2 installer.

Done. Same issue. I'm not sure what to do next. I have a server that is not working and 20+ people that will be asking me what to work on tomorrow due to this update. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

• 5. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update

Joe Fleck:

Thank you for the post. 

A few more questions to assist us with narrowing this down:

1. What operating system is the FileMaker Server 13 computer?

2. Were all tests performed on the local server machine without VPN or remote management software?

3. What version(s) of Java is installed?

4. Could you post a screenshot of the Add/Remove programs section?

The goal is to verify that all the necessary components were reinstalled, if this issue occurs when logged onto the physical machine, and to eliminate the network configuration from the testing.  

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                    JoeFleck

TSFalcon,

1. What operating system is the FileMaker Server 13 computer?

Windows Server 2012 R2

2. Were all tests performed on the local server machine without VPN or remote management software?

Correct. I was RDP'd into the machine and used Chrome to try to access :16000

3. What version(s) of Java is installed?

I didn't install any but what would have come with the OS or through the FMS installer

4. Could you post a screenshot of the Add/Remove programs section?

At this point I can't. I had to rever to a clean slate server install where the FMS current installer worked. 

Let me know if you have further questions.  Regards,

Joe

• 7. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                      philmodjunk

Problems where a "bad gateway" error was returned have bee previously reported in this forum.

For More Information see:     502 Bad Gateway error with FM Server 13

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 8. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                        jbarnum

I'm having the exact same issue as Travis and Joe Fleck. I can get to the FileMaker page at http://localhost:1600, but when I try to go to https://localhost:16001, I get a warning about a self-signed SSL cert, which I skip, and then I get the same error page as Joe Fleck's screenshot.

We are dead in the water. Is there a solution?

• 9. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                          RickWhitelaw

I had a hard time accessing admin console after the update. I ran the updater again and everything worked.

• 10. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                            MikeBeargie

I ran into this error today while updating server 13.0v1 to 13.0v3 and then 13.0v4.

-FileMaker Service was running.
                            -Files were open and accessible.
                            -Admin console and WebDirect were not working, either returning the CGI error from WAN connection or IIS error on localhost.
                            -fmsadmin start/restart adminserver would not work in command line.

I was able to diagnose that the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) was not installed because expected files in C:/Windows/Program Files/Java/jre7/ were missing.

I downloaded and installed the latest windows 64-bit JRE from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

After install, the admin console functioned properly, however WebDirect did not work. The admin console showed the WPE was disabled. I re-enabled WPE, the indicator displayed a yellow ! mark temporarily, then a green mark. I then retested and WebDirect was working from LAN/WAN

• 11. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                              JoeFleck

For what it's worth, I (stupidly, without making a snapshot of my virtual server first) went in to update my FMS on Windows Server last night. I was at v13.0v2. I took it to v3, then to v5 directly. I then ran into the same issue that I'd had back in July (above).

Thankfully, I tried Mike Beargie's solution of reinstalling the JRE (even though mine WAS installed)  - I installed over the top of the one that came with FMS, and now things are working again.

Hope this helps others. Filemaker - I wish I could update without worrying about this in the future. But I did make a mental note to snapshot before installing v6 when it arrives.

• 12. Re: FMS Admin Console Unavailable after FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Update
                                haseebiqbal

The tech told me to uninstall Antivirus and turn off firewall then reinstall n configure FM Server, which I am going to do now....

Will update you, how I go...