FMS WARNING wpe1/(wpc1, wpc2) Tomcat...

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

FileMaker Server Advanced 11.0.2.217

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

Our operating environment has been relatively unchanged and stable for the past year, up until last week. We started receiving the "wpe1" error msg, and our clients reported that they were suddenly unable to use our FileMaker Server Advanced hosted databases via Web Publishing until we restart the "Web Publishing" server. We have had approximately a half dozen instances of web publishing failure since we started receiving the error msg last week. The failures occur randomly.

I have checked the FMServer log file (Web Server module) each time subsequent to receiving this error; the event that triggers the failure of web publishing on our server is related to Tomcat. My understanding is that Tomcat is bundled with FileMaker Server Advanced, and that Tomcat is used to communicate between the server and Web Publishing Engine. The exact error messages from the log file are below.

Can you provide us with technical support information about the “FMS WARNING wpe1”/”WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING” error msg, as well as the Tomcat error msgs, so that we can take steps to resolve this issue?

Web Publishing Server error msg (wpe1):
      -------------------------------------------------
      FMServer WARNING wpe1 FileMaker Server 11.0.2.217 reported the...
      Sent:      Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:54 PM
      FileMaker Server 11.0.2.217 ... reported the following event:
      Thu Oct 21 15:54:01 CDT 2010 FMS WARNING wpe1
      Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

Web Server/Tomcat ERROR MSGS (wpc1/wpc2) FROM THE FMServer Log File
      (these occur just before web publishing fails):
      ------------------------------------------------
      2010-10-21 15:53:56     Web Server     Error     [30487:0000] [error] ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (1592): (wpc1) Tomcat is down or refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet)
      2010-10-21 15:53:56     Web Server     Error     [30487:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc1) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port
      2010-10-21 15:53:56     Web Server     Error     [30487:0000] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953): (wpc2) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port

• 1. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1/(wpc1, wpc2) Tomcat...
          TSGal

Amy Miller:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Since everything was working properly up until the random failures, my first thought is that there is either file corruption or some update was installed that affected the system.  If you are still having these errors, and assuming you have restarted FileMaker Server, I would temporarily remove some of the less used database files and see if the problem persists.  If all database files are being used frequently, then I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server.  Also, run Disk Utility to verify the disk, and if necessary, repair the disk.

I know a month has passed, but if you have already resolved this issue, please post here so others who run into the same problem will have an option to try.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1/(wpc1, wpc2) Tomcat...
            PhilipCottrell

We have the same issue here.  No resolution as of yet.  Taking the entire system offline for a re-install is not appealing as we have multiple live databases with heavy activity.  

Is there a way to monitor Tomcat more closely, or to get more useful error reporting out of the log files?  THere does not seem to be an error reported prior to the tomcat failures..

• 3. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1/(wpc1, wpc2) Tomcat...
              user15307

Philip Cottrell,

Thank you for posting.

Since this thread is over a year old, FileMaker and OS X versions have changed, and this may affect what we need to look for.  I certainly understand your reluctance to re-install Server; we don't know if that is what was required to find a resolution to the above forum post or not.

Would you provide some details on your specific situation?

Which version of FileMaker Server Advanced are you using?

Which version of OS X is it installed on? Is this server dedicated to FileMaker?

Is it a single machine deployment?  Have the solutions been operating without error until recently?  What are the exact errors that are displayed? Is there a pattern revealed in the logs as to when they occur or what is happening at the time they are generated?

Have any updates to either FileMaker Server, the OS, or other network components coincided with the issue?

Any other information you can provide related to your specific environment will help me to assist you.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS WARNING wpe1/(wpc1, wpc2) Tomcat...
                PhilipCottrell

THanks for the response...  Despite our reluctance, we are going to take systmes down this evening and upgrade the server software.

We are running v11.1 Server Adv, and Snow Leopard server.  I see in the release notes for v.11.3 that an issue with Tomcat is being addressed.  Hopefully that will bring us back to stability!

THanks again - will let you know if the upgrade fixes our issue.