FMS won't close files before shutdown

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11.x, probably 12.x

Operating system version

Win & OSX

Description of the issue

when the server (hardware) is shut down (ie for maintenance), FMS will not close the files (mostly when users didn't log off - but as well with no users logged in). The OS will shutdown before the files are closed properly - resulting in a consistency check when restarting FMS, sometimes even with damaged files

Steps to reproduce the problem

restart the computer, check the logs after a restart. Sometimes, no entries with 'xxx closed', just the 'closing file xxx' entry

Expected result

files are closed properly BEFORE shutdown

Actual result

files are still open when os shuts the machine down

Configuration information

more often on windows than on OSX, seems to be that OSX waits a bit longer before shutting down the services

Workaround

using a shell script with fmsadmin close -f or manually closing files via admin console (when available)

• 1. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
          Markus Schneider

bump!

if there is no answer/solution/tipp on this - then, it should be listed in the manual that FMS will not close files when an user is still logged in (happens sometimes even when there are no users logged in)

On Windows, I believe that there is a way to write a .bat-file that runs before shutdown - but on Mac, I'm not sure if there is something like this (on users-side, Yes - but not on system level)

Thanks!

• 2. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
            Markus Schneider

bump - again.

Happened another time this morning. Another customer, another server - the same issue. Please tell me what I can do to avoid this! 

I'm not a Sysman - I'm just the 'FileMaker guy'. The Sysman invoked an update process that restarted the virtual machine. All FM users had to wait for a good half hour until the consistency check was done that FMS does. Nothing else happened (this time, knock on wood). All db files seem to be fine

The log shows a 'closing file xxx' - but for every single file, FMS did a consitency check after rebooting

Windows, FMS 11.0x

• 3. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
              philmodjunk

If status says "closing" not "closed", then the file was not closed completely and you'll get a system check.

As far as I know, you have to manually close the files from the admin console or a command line before you shut down the server app.

• 4. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
                Markus Schneider

Yes - but that's a bug, a big one.. no Sysman will do that. AFAIK, there should be a script that does a 'fmsadmin close -f' before a system shutdown - but this should happen from FMI (according to found postings). Otherwise an UPS will not really help

All issues are with virtual servers, windows (at least here)

• 5. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown

markus schneider:

Thank you for the post.

Some additional questions to assist us in narrowing this down:

What type of Windows virtual server is being used? 

What is the exact process taken when shutting down the virtual server? 

For example, in my virtual box environment my choices are: Save the machine state, Send the shutdown signal, Power off the machine, or Windows Start Button > Shut Down.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
                    Markus Schneider

thank You very much for answering!

Its a Microsoft Virtualisation on a MS Win Server 2008 and 2003 (several customers)

just do a software update from the Windows System that needs a restart - or choose 'shut down' from the Windows Menu

It's a professional environment, a server-farm running my a government departement..

there are many reports from users for that issue - it must be well known IMHO

Thank You very much!

• 7. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown

markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply.

I read most every post in this forum and do not recall another user reporting the FileMaker Server failing to properly close the hosted files during a shutdown. Can you provide the links to these other reports?

I am in the process of testing a few different Windows virtualized environments to attempt to replicate and I will report back with my results. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown

markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply.

I am unable to replicate this when using Window Start Button > Shut Down in two different virtual environments with Windows Server 2008 R2. I found one old report (not through Forums) when this occurred with FileMaker Server 11.0v3 on Windows Server 2008 R2. In that case, the issue was when starting a Verify Databases Schedule, and the issue no longer occurred after the files were moved to a different hard drive. 

Is any of the same hardware in use by more than one of the servers experiencing this issue?

Does this occur with every database on the server or do some close and others not?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
                          Markus Schneider

normally, I'm not at the location when a sysman restarts a server - but during the last 2 or 3 weeks, I was. Both times, files were not closed before the system shut down, both times, FMS did a consistency check when restarting.

OSX waits longer than Win before killing the services - therefore, on OSX it seems to not that often.

three weeks ago, the log (via admin console) showed 'closing file xxx' and then, the next entry was from restarting. At that time, no other users were logged in.

Last friday, a sysman started an update that invoked a restart - two users were logged in at that time. boom... it seems, that FMS will not do a close -f before the service is shut down

• 10. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown

markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply.

In the past this issue was indicative of a bad hard drive. Could you verify whether or not these servers are on the same physical box? 

Since this issue may also be symptomatic of damaged files, could you verify if this occurs with all databases, including the server sample file?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
                              Markus Schneider

different hardware for sure. While I'm not sure what happened to the files during the past on the FMS from last friday, the file on the server 'three weeks ago' never crashed.

Also the log istelling me that Windows just shuting down the service before the files are closed. 

People talled me that FMS shoud be closed manually (cli), never via 'shut down' because the service (FMS) will not wait long enough

thank You very much for Your answer!

• 12. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown

markus schneider:

Thank you for reply.

Does that mean that the logs indicate all databases on the server do not close or only certain databases? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMS won't close files before shutdown
                                  Markus Schneider

not one DB was closed properly. Although, to be fair, on the case 'three weeks ago', it's a single file solution. I can't get the log's - but I'm almost sure that the message 'closing file xxx' without any further entries before restart also appeared for the sample-file