FMS, corrupt databases if HD full

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13 or any

Operating system version

10.8.5 or any

Description of the issue

the FMS still working as usual even if  the harddisk is full.
      so the databases and backups getting corrupt.

Everything seems to be normal if you open the databases remotely.
      but the backups of those databases shows "?" in every field of some tables.

Steps to reproduce the problem

put some databases on a FMS and define some backup rules.

let the server run for some time and put some big files on the HD to get it run out of space.
      Do nothing and let it run.

Expected result

The FMS should check the space of the used HDs frequently.
      If a HD is nearly full, the FMS should STOP any database and backup-process immediately giving a message.

Actual result

nearly every database on the server gets corrupted
      the consistency check failed and told anything ok but every backup is demaged.

• 1. Re: FMS, corrupt databases if HD full
          TSGal

seevogel:

Thank you for your post.

The FileMaker Server minimum specifications for Hard Drive says "80 GB or more, dependent on file size, requires minimum 10 GB free space".  See the full Technical Specifications on our web site at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-13-specifications.html

In addition, filling up your hard drive puts your data at risk, as FileMaker Pro does not have the ability to write information to the server hard disk.

There should also be entries in the FileMaker Server Event.log.  For example, error 10200 equates to File or Disk full.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS, corrupt databases if HD full
            seevogel

Hi, thanks for response,

- In the beginning there is always enough room on the disk (as told in the specifications).

- data size increasing with time.

- There is not always a guy who is checking the log files frequently.

- monotone tasks are dangerous ;)

- sometimes there is another guy letting get things out of control

- frequently things happen letting you get focussing on other things

- FMS is working perfect most time, so you will forget that bad things happen sometimes.

See it as a feature request:

"FileMaker Server could be more failsafe by checking and reporting a lack of disk space in a more recognizable way"

IMHO checking disk space once an hour or once a day should be no big programming task with big impact.

It will make FileMaker an even better product !

;)

• 3. Re: FMS, corrupt databases if HD full
              TSGal

seevogel:

Please be sure to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database that is hosted and monitored by Development and Product Management.  Each suggestion is discussed and considered for implementation in a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMS, corrupt databases if HD full
                seevogel

well, I made an error not to enter my smtp settings to the fms console the day I installed the server because I was in a heavy stress situation those days.

I found an entry in the log that the cash file could not be written by the server in cause of missing disk space.

I had activated the email notification now for error reporting and for the daily backup.

I took the backup-files of 2 databases and re-imported data to the tables that were looking corrupt and loaded it up to the FMS again.

The recovery tool did not recognized any errors (neither of the corrupted, nor the re-imported files) - but it looked definitely corrupt.

The were only errors detected of corrupted Themes and custom functions.

- The themes were corrupted in FMP 12 times (I did not even used most of them in that file)

- The custom functions are corrupted because I took out the plugin they were using