10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 6:59 AM by zincb

FMS10 Backups Failing

user1735

Summary

FMS10 Backups Failing

Description of the issue

I am using Filemaker Server 10 on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 box with the hard disk split into 3 partitions (file fragmentation is not my friend):C:\E:\F:\  The E:\ drive is configured as the additional database path and I am attempting to backup to the F:\ drive.  The problem is that backups do not work when the database resides on the E:\ drive.  They only appear to work when the database resides in the default database path on the C:\ drive.  Upon failure, the backup schedule status is "Permission denied", although this is obviously not a permission error.  (To my presumptuous eye, it appears to be a fileCopy syntax error in the Filemaker Server code.)  Here are the log entries: Schedule "Testing" running.Backup aborted. Invalid backup destination: "filewin:/f:/testing/Testing_2009-02-02_2327/e:/db/sample.fp7".Schedule "Testing" aborted; the destination "filewin:/f:/testing/" is not writable. Help!  Backups are not a luxury, they are a necessity!  Dave 

• 1. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
          TSGal

davidfencik:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have access to a machine with a partitioned hard drive, so I have sent your entire post to our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department to verify.  In the mean time, if you want to run backups, install FileMaker Server on the root (C) drive.

When I receive more information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
            user1735

TSGal,

Filemaker Server IS installed on the C drive.  The database files reside on a different volume, though.  It is not uncommon for Windows servers to have multiple volumes.  These are usually either additional partitions or different physical disks.

I may have a workaround for this problem until you can release a patch; I have used this on a previous version of FMS:  At the disk management console, at the "change drive letters and paths" option, mount the volume in the empty folder "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases".  This way the Filemaker server will "think" that the databases are in their default location.

• 3. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
              TSGal

davidfencik:

Thanks for the clarification.  I have forwarded this additional information to our Testing department.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                johnm

I've run across the same issue with the same configuration. This worked fine in FMSA 9. Now instead of the backups going to F:, they are going into the backups folder on C: where the application is installed.

John 

• 5. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                  TSGal

h3oski:

Thanks for the information.  I have also attached your comments to the original logging of this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                    TSGal

All:

Here is the recent information from our Testing department...

"I have tried to reproduce the issue.  My machine has a C:, D:, and F: drives.  I created a script that specifically points to the additional databases folder and backed it up to F:.  I also created another script that backups all databases to F:.  Both scripts work as expected, and I end up with my additional databases backed up to F:.  At this point, I'll need some more information about what is different or how the scripts are specifically set up or created.  Most likely the error is correct in some way.  The report doesn't quite make sense either.  We don't have a redirect type functionality for this feature.  If the attempt is to F: drive, then we wouldn't report a "Permission denied" error and then continue to write the files to another location.  Please ask these customers to open the UAC to the schedule that is having problems, enlarge the details view and take a screen shot of the schedule so we can see it.  The only thing I can think of at this point is that they have hand edited the registry and made the script invalid.  I tried editing the script to make it look like the error string in the log file and the UAC caught me by no allowing the change."

==========

I have sent you both a private message (top of this screen, right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the screen shots.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                      user1735

TSGal,

I am assuming that your technician is using "script" to refer to a backup schedule created from the FMS admin schedules interface.  I see no indication that the technician accurately mirrored the error condition.  I will repeat that my database files resided in the additional database folder, which was the root of the E: drive and my backup folder was the root of the F: drive.

I made no changes to the registry, of course.  

Unfortunately, I can no longer reproduce the error, as I've already reverted back to a previous version of FMS.  I have already included the text of the errors in my original post, however.

I will apologize for saying that this is "obviously not a permissions error", because it would be more accurate to say that this is CERTAINLY not a permissions error.  The folder structure in the database destination folder was created.  If the server can create folders, then it can create files.

I'm not sure where the word "redirect" came from, and I'm also not sure why the technician believes the backups were written to an alternate location.

At this point, I can only advise you to copy the exact text of my original posting and present it to your technician with a cup of coffee. 

Dave 

• 8. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                        johnm

OK. I had another issue where I couldn't do anything from the admin console and had to close the files and shut the server down from the command line, rebooted the server, went back into the schedule and it was pointing back at the default location. I reset the path again and now it's working.

John 

• 9. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                          TSDiva

Upon further testing It seems the issue is that you can't backup databases that are stored at the root of the hard drive.

If you create a folder so that the databases are no longer stored at the root of the drive (for example called "Additional Databases") and place the files in this folder the schedule will run and properly backup your files to the proper drive.

See the following Knowledgebase answer for more information:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7171

-TSDiva

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: FMS10 Backups Failing
                            zincb

I am having the same problem on a Win2k3 server.

The C: drive is locked down for security reasons, so Filemaker Server is installed on the D: drive, in the default configuration.  

I noticed that the daily backup is not running, and the scheduler tool said the next run will occur on March 26 (it is April).  This happened once before and I rebooted the server, saw the next-run date was current and so I went back to work...

When this happens, if I try to create a new backup schedule using the FMS GUI, the default backup location is yellowed out, and it says Invalid Path just below it.  Without a  vaild path it will not let me continue.

I can <i> apparently</i> work around this by cold-booting the server, which allows me the illusion of creating a schedule, with the default backup path recognized as vaild.  If I then re-open the FMS Schedule wizard, my path is no longer valid, and I cannot create another schedule.

Havn't figured this one out, so I am performing weekly MANUAL backups, which is not the way this is supposed to work...!