2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 12:24 PM by tduell_1

FMS10A Does Not Install on Windows Vista Business Edition SP1

tduell_1

Summary

FMS10A Does Not Install on Windows Vista Business Edition SP1

Description of the issue

I cannot get FMS10A to install on Windows Vista Business Edition SP 1. Here's my config info: 1. Intel CoreDuo 1.83 GHz2. Windows Vista Business Edition SP 1, with every current MS update installed as of 2/20/2009. 100% clean install of Vista from the DVD. Only the OS was installed, no other applications installed.3. 2GB RAM4. IIS 6.0 turned on and verified to run with ISAPI Extensions, Filters, and Application Pooling configured as required. Note: Vista does not come with IIS 7.0. That is part of Windows Server 2008. You cannot upgrade Vista to IIS 7.0 as far as I can tell. FileMaker needs to re-verify the IIS 7.0 requirement for Vista in their documentation.5. Java 1.6.0_07 installed (Java 6 Update 7)6. Bonjour installed7. FileMaker Server 10 Advanced 10.0.1.64 from the ESD download page as of 2/20/2009, which by the way took 16 hours to download because the download web site was sending the data at 20 kb/sec!8. Server restarted many, many times to make sure everything was installed and running clean. During the installation process an error dialog box is presented and stops the install. The dialog box says: "You cannot intall or uninstall FileMaker Server 10 on this version of Windows. Please refer to the system requirements in the installation instructions for more information." As far as I can tell I meet the requirement. Does anyone know what the problem is that can help me to install FMS10A? 

• 1. Re: FMS10A Does Not Install on Windows Vista Business Edition SP1
          TSGal

tduell:

Thank you for your post.

You definitely meet the system requirements.

We (FileMaker Technical Support) have seen this issue come up previously when trying to install as a guest of the Server.  That is, make sure you are installing under the Admin account.

Also, make sure you are installing at the Server and not over the network.

If either of those two options don't work, run "msconfig" and turn off all non-Microsoft services.  This provides the basic system settings and eliminates any possible conflicts.

Please keep us posted with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMS10A Does Not Install on Windows Vista Business Edition SP1
            tduell_1

Ryan in tech support was able to help resolve the problem. Although we had run the OS Update everal times, MS never identified that we needed any additional updates to the OS. Therefore, we could only assume that we had everything that was available. Out of the blue on 2/25/2009 an update came in for SP1 (KB936330 from 9/29/2008) that allowed FMS10A to be installed. Why it didn't come in the previous 10+ times we checked for updates, I have no idea.

Lesson learned - don't belive everything MS tells you ;-)