6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 3:00 PM by johnm

FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond

johnm

Summary

FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond

Description of the issue

I've had this issue twice now on the server. It's possible to log into the console, but nothing responds, ie: opening or closing databases. You can still log into hosted files, the database server seems to be running fine and the files are still backed up. The only way I've been able to remedy this is to go into the command line and close the files. I tried to stop the database server, but never received feedback that it was stopped. Tried to stop the service and got an error message. At that point I just restarted the server. This is new this time: Upon restart, I received the following Windows message: "Data Execution Prevention- Microsoft Windows, Filemaker Server Launcher Application" A couple of files wouldn't open because Windows wouldn't allow the temp files to be created (prior to changing the settings in the dialog that came up). After I changed the dialog settings, I was able to go into the console and open the two files that weren't allowed to open. Running Win 2003 SP2. Regards,John 

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
          philmodjunk
             I am also experiencing this along with several other problems. In my case, I see this after Console has crashed during a scheduled back up and I have restarted console. You might want to check my thread and see what common factors exist.
          • 2. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
            johnm

Hi PhilModJunk-

I looked at your posts about the installation error and I can't say I had that issue when I installed FMS. I do remember this happening a couple of times under FMS 9 and I would just wait for a weekend and reboot the server and everything would be fine again.

I'm not sure if there's some java related issue that causes this to happen. It may be time to start tracking the MS related java updates to see if there's a correlation.

John 

• 3. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
              TSGal

h3oski:

Thank you for your post.

Although I'm running Java 6 update 7 (because also using 9), there are no Java restrictions at this time for FileMaker Server 10, so I seriously doubt that is the issue.

Any additional information you can provide might be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
                johnm

Hi TSGal,

That's good to know. The only other thing that would be similar in my case is FMS is running on VMWare. I'm not implying that's the issue, just looking at any commonalities that I'm aware of. Unfortunately I'm far from a Windows wizard so I don't know what could be looked at to troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

John 

• 5. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
                  TSGal

h3oski:

Thanks for the additional information about VMWare.

There have been a couple of problems reported with VMWare, but we have been unable to isolate them.  Both involve Windows 2008 server, but since you are running Windows 2003 server, they may not apply.

The first issue is restarting the system may not restart the database server (if the setting is enabled).  This works for for a real system with Windows Server 2008.  The customer was unable to duplicate the problem consistently. 

The other problem was the error message "Unable to start the database server.  Please contact your system administrator for assistance."  when actually the FileMaker server is started.  In house, we were unable to duplicate the problem.

I don't have access to VMWare here.  Do you have access to another machine for testing that does not run VMWare?  If so, can you install and see if you run into the same issues?  I'm trying to eliminate possible causes and maybe find the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FMSA 10 Console doesn't respond
                    johnm

Hi TSGal,

I'll have to check with IT. I know they were going to retire a couple of older servers, I just don't know the current status. I'll see if I can get one set up and let you know.

John