5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 4:09 PM by TSDiva

FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense

cribscapes

Summary

FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense

Description of the issue

OK, I could be wrong but does the documentation in upgrading to FMS 10 actually say... 1. Shut the server down2. Back up the files3. Note down your settings etc... ? Come on, you can't note down your server settings after you have shut down the server. Can I please have my half hour back?  Neil 

• 1. Re: FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense
          TSDiva

Neil,

We apologize if the instructions were unclear.

The instructions state to stop FileMaker Server 9 (services). Then you should make copies of the database files, shell script files, and plug-ins you used with FileMaker Server 9.

It then asks you to note your existing FileMaker Server settings. This is done in the FileMaker Server Admin Console that is still accesible after you have stopped FileMaker Server 9.

Then you uninstall FileMaker Server 9 and install FileMaker Server 10 and move any database files, script files, and plug-ins you used with the previous version of FileMaker Server to the proper folders within the FileMaker Server 10 folder structure.

Lastly, you will recreate the schedules and configure FileMaker Server 10.

We appreciate your feedback and again apologize if the instructions were unclear. 

-TSDiva

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense
            cribscapes

My apologies, but I believe you are incorrect.  Once Filemaker has been stopped, the admin console does not let you look at settings without restarting the server. There is message when the databases are stopped that only Filemaker Server Overview is accessible, (or something to that effect).

If they are indeed accessible, then the message that Admin Console throws when the databases are shut down is misleading. Enough that few would consider that any settings would remain available.

The instructions are quite clear, they are just in the wrong order.  Even if they are available, why not change the order to be user friendly and eliminate the possibitity of this happening to anyone again.

• 3. Re: FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense
              davidhead

I suppose it depends how you stop the database server. How are you doing that?

I think what the instructions mean is that, while you have the admin console open, you stop the database server. That is done with the (red) icon at the top left of the console. Then  you can backup the files by running one of your schedules. Then take a note of settings in other areas.

Does that make more sense? 

• 4. Re: FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense
                cribscapes

As per the commands in the instructions, by clicking the red icon.  When I do that I get a message that says...

"The Database Server is Not Available

Admin Console Functionality is Limited to FileMaker Server Overview and the Log Veiwer.

To use other functionality, please start the Database Server again."

That seems pretty clear and btw FMSA 10 throws the same message. 

Some of the instructions for upgrading are:

Step 1. Stop FileMaker Server...

Stopping FileMaker Server 9 or 10

1. Start the Admin Console. See “Starting Admin Console” on page 43.

2. Choose Server menu > Stop Web Publishing

Wait while the Web Publishing Engine is stopped.

3. Choose Server menu > Stop Database Server.

Wait while the Database Server is stopped.

4. Stop the FileMaker Server service (Windows) or processes (Mac OS). For more information, see FileMaker Server Help. ...

So you have to go into the Activity Monitor and Manually stop everything, then when you get to step 3 ...

Step 3. Note your FileMaker Server settings

Make a note of your existing FileMaker Server settings because you will have to re-enter your settings manually later. Some examples of settings you might want to note are:

1the name of your FileMaker Server installation (the name users see in the Open Remote dialog box in FileMaker Pro)

1schedules for backing up databases, running scripts, and sending messages

1other settings that you have changed from the defaults and want to reuse in your FileMaker Server 10 deployment

Where to note settings for FileMaker Server 8

Start FileMaker Server Admin and note the settings described above. For details on using FileMaker Server Admin, see the version 8 FileMaker Server Administrator's Guide.

To use settings from FileMaker Server Advanced version 8, start the Web Publishing Engine Administration Console and note any web publishing settings you want to save. For details on using the Web Publishing Engine, see the version 8 FileMaker Server Advanced Web Publishing Installation Guide

I am not a newbie.  These instructions are wrong in every sense and all they have to do is change the order to make them correct. If they do not, then some one person at Filemaker considers their work more important than the facts, and that never makes anyone (else) happy.

Like I said, I want my half-hour back!  ;)

Neil 

• 5. Re: FMSA 10 Documentation is time-consumingly wrong in the most basic sense
                  TSDiva

Neil,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand the issue correctly now, I apologize for my confusion. I have forwarded your feedback to the appropraite department for review.

-TSDiva

FileMaker, Inc.