1 2 3 4 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 4:31 PM by MattMatthews

FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG

MattMatthews

Summary

FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Win 7

Description of the issue

We are getting the below warning message everytime an FM client (not webdirect or FM Go) logs into one of the fmp12 files from our FileMaker Server v13.05 and it seems this is a server bug or something?
      Also see the forum that as not provide any solution - http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/305c0dc189?page=2
      I have searched Google and the forums with a successful answer.
      I have seen something about "Opener files" which I assume are scripts at startup but this still happens with my files without 'opener files'.
      I have see info about File Options.../Log in" being checked without a user name and this is not my problem.
      I have seen issue with opening other databases or security authentication via LDAP but neither are my situation.
      Lastly I have see info about this error firing when not using SSO or authentication with both FM and external.  I don't have SSO nor plan to use it as this is a FileMaker only application so this should not matter and my authentication is set to 'filemaker accounts only'.

FileMaker Server 13.0v5 on SVPCFMServer reported the following event:

2015-02-28 09:15:48.248 -0800    Warning               661         SVPCFMServer Client "[USERNAME] (computer name) [192.168.100.254]" authentication failed on database "[filename.fmp12[" using "[computer username] [fmapp]".

Steps to reproduce the problem

Login in with an FM Client using v13 to the files hosted on the FM v13 server.

Note: this warning does not happen with FMGO or webdirect unless there is a real issue (e.g. mistype user or password).

Note2: We have no external sources linked to these files that are being opened at the same time.

Expected result

No warning message created for successful logins.

Actual result

Warning message trigger every time with successful log-in between an FM client on the desktop to the server.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

see above

Configuration information

see above and the forum - http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/305c0dc189?page=2

Workaround

ignore the warning messages

• 1. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
          TSGal

Matt Mathews:

Thank you for your post and the related link.

I would like to verify if this error occurs for all FileMaker Pro users or just one account?  Does this issue happen on every machine?  That is, if you launch FileMaker Pro 13 on a different computer and access one of the four hosted files, does the 661 error appear?

Are you able to access the file using a [Full Access] account?

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled FileMaker Server?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
            MattMatthews

Hi This issue occurs with all FM Pro users (3 of them) and with me too FM Pro Adv with Full access.  Since the initial setup of FM Server v13 I have not done a reinstall (and this would be very inconvenient).  Sorry but I don't have any other ideas as to what the issue is for which I can provide info.  I think you noticed that this does not happen for the FMGO or WebDirect or PHP users.

• 3. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
              Fred(CH)

Hello,

I imagine a case where this is very normal and the reason is so simple :

All the new created database files have an account "Admin" without password. Also, this is set onto File option as automatic opening.

Afterwards, when the developer change the password of Admin without modifying accordingly the automatic opening, FileMaker Pro always attempt to connect with wrong credential and fail before displaying the authentification window.

If you clear the automatic opening on the file option or indicate the correct login i think the problem will disappear.

Bye, Fred

• 4. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                MattMatthews

Attached is a screen shot of the 'File Options' and as you can see there is NO automatic opening setup.  With the suggestion, I tested more by added an automatic opening and the message does NOT get created; then I cleared it to nothing again and the warning event messages starts again.

• 5. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                  Fred(CH)

No luck… Before posting, i obviously tested my scenario and it behaved as described.

You could try the way i took just for investigating (it should take just few minutes) :

1. Create a brand new file, without configuring anything except : sharing on for all user.
                  3. Install the file on Filemaker Server.
                  5. Try a first connection (default automatic opening), check the log : no error
                  7. Add only a password to the admin account, without changing file options
                  9. Try a second connection : error 661
                  11. Remove auto log-in on file option
                  13. Try a third connection : no error

Do you get different result as me ? 

• 6. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                    TSGal

Matt Matthews:

Thanks for the clarification.

TSFalcon, another Support Technician, says that error 661 usually occurs with external authentication.  See Knowledge Base Article #6785 for a description:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6785

For clarification, in your screen shot for File Options, is there a script trigger active for either OnFirstWindowOpen or OnWindowOpen?  Also, in the File Options, the file opens to the layout "Master Cust...".  Are there any OnLayoutOpen or OnRecordLoad script triggers for that layout?

If you create a new file for testing purposes, do you still get 661 errors?

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                      MattMatthews

Fred and TSgal, I working on the above tests...

Meanwhile from the link above it say, "NOTE: In FileMaker Server 10 and later the failed authentication warning will only get logged if 1) login is not SSO or 2) Setting “Client Auth Method” is set to use both FMPro and External Server accounts." 

In the filemaker world, is SSO (single sign-on) using the standard filemaker sign-on or something else?

• 8. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                        MattMatthews

I did the below test steps in a new file with only one table, one layout and NO fields but in #7 I still get the error.  KEY NEW INFO: Also I noticed that this Warning Error fires BEFORE I even log in; I pick the file to open and stop at the login screen; the error fires.  Maybe the server is trying to auto-login  (with non setup) based on my preference name; see the error below with my preference name = Matt but the new test file only has the user = Admin.

1. Create a brand new file, without configuring anything except : sharing on for all user.
                        3. Install the file on Filemaker Server.
                        5. Try a first connection (default automatic opening), check the log : no error
                        7. Add only a password to the admin account, without changing file options
                        9. Try a second connection : error 661
                        11. Remove auto log-in on file option
                        13. Try a third connection : RECEIVED ERROR STILL

FileMaker Server 13.0v5 on SVPCFMServer reported the following event:

2015-03-04 12:44:09.038 -0800    Warning               661         SVPCFMServer Client "Matt (c3-mmatthews1146) [192.168.100.254]" authentication failed on database "661ErrorTest.fmp12" using "mmatthews [fmapp]".

• 9. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                          TSGal

Matt Matthews:

When you login to a FileMaker file with a specific account name and password, when the next file is opened, assuming there is no File Options for automatic login, FileMaker will attempt to use the same account name and password.  If the account name and password does not match/exist, then the Open File dialog box opens to enter Account Name and Password.  This is standard single sign-on for FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                            MattMatthews

TSGal, I opened the application from a closed state each time so does your statement above still apply and if so why did say he did not get an error.

Here is my exact server version - this this the same for you -

Server Version
                            • 11. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                              Fred(CH)

When you login to a FileMaker file with a specific account name and password, when the next file is opened, assuming there is no File Options for automatic login, FileMaker will attempt to use the same account name and password.  If the account name and password does not match/exist, then the Open File dialog box opens to enter Account Name and Password.  This is standard single sign-on for FileMaker Pro.

I cannot replicate this, except when talking about FileMaker External Datasource. When the "next file" opened is not a part of multi file solution, and assuming there is no OS X Keychain entry, an authentication is always required.

Fred

• 12. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                                TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your post.

Here is a simple case...

1. Create a database file, 1A.fmp12, with one text field.

2. In Manage -> Security, create a new user account, "test", with the same password "test", and assign it [Full Access].

3. Uncheck/disable the default "Admin" account.

4. In File Options, turn off Automatic login to the Admin account, so you are prompted for the user account and password.

5. Create a second database file, 1B.fmp12, with one text field.

6. Perform steps 2-4 with this new file.

7. Close both files and open 1A.fmp12.  You will be prompted for user name and password.

8. Close 1A.fmp12, open 1B.fmp12, and again, you will be prompted for user name and password.

9. With 1B.fmp12 still open, go into Layout mode and create a button that executes "Open File", and specify 1A.fmp12.

10. Go to Browse Mode, click on the button, and you will not be prompted for user name and password.  FileMaker knows to use the user name and password from 1B.fmp12 to attempt and open 1A.fmp12.  Since there is a match, the file opens without being prompted.

Let me know if you get different results.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                                  Fred(CH)

First, thank you for your time TSGal.

9. With 1B.fmp12 still open, go into Layout mode and create a button that executes "Open File", and specify 1A.fmp12.

But to do that, you MUST define 1A.fmp12 as an external datasource, so it match my previous statement that the file must be a part of a multiple file solution, or am i turning mad ???
                                  surprise
                                  • 14. Re: FMServer Warning 661 with all Client FM logins BUG
                                    TSGal

Fred:

You are correct.  The confusion on my end is that I usually refer to "external data source" as "external SQL source".  In the Open File script step, there is an option for "FileMaker Data Source", which I believe is what you refer to as external datasource.  I know English is not your primary language, but I understand what you mean, and you are not "turning mad".  You are correct.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next